The End of The Death Penalty in America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 06:54 PM
The End of The Death Penalty in America
Huntsville, TX, is a sleepy town about 80 miles north of Houston. It's also America's capital of capital punishment. Tonight at 6:00pm Central time, a woman named Suzanne Basso will be executed there by lethal injection, making her the 512th person to die at the hands of the state of Texas since Gregg v Georgia reinstated legal executions in this country. There isn't much fanfare about it. Maybe a small group of protestors from Amnesty Intl or some other anti death penalty group show up with signs or a candlelight vigil. But otherwise just another night for the people of Huntsville and the staff of the red brick state prison in the center of town.

The thing is, Basso's execution may be one of the final ones to take place in the United States. The state is running short of the lethal drugs required for the executions. Anti Death Penalty Groups as well as the European Union's prohibition on capital punishment have pressured the pharmaceutical manufacturers of the drugs sodium thiopentol and pentabarbitol to refuse sale of the chemical to American prisons if they intend to use them in lethal injections. With the supply of the deadly drugs running short, states have become desperate for options to carry out executions which have been scheduled. Ohio recently went to a controversial new drug cocktail of midazolam, a sedative, and hydromorphone, an analgesic. This drug mixture was used on a prisoner named Dennis McGuire with horrible results. McGuire gasped, chocked, gagged, and convulsed for 25 minutes before he finally died. I doubt they will try such a drug combination like that again.

Some states are considering returning to older, more antiquated methods of execution. Their old electric chairs being pressed into service again as well as gas chambers - even talk of firing squads or guillotines in Missouri.

This also comes at a time when public support for the death penalty in the US is waning. States are also handing out fewer death sentences and carrying out fewer executions. In 1999, 99 people were executed in the US. Only 30 people were executed in 2013. This may be cyclic; it was like this in the 1960s and people felt the death penalty would disappear. But by the 1980s executions had resumed in the US again.

A number of states have recently abolished the death penalty as well. New Jersey and New Mexico recently signed bills outlawing it and Illinois has a moratorium on executions pending some legal challenges to the law.

I wonder if, like the recent upheavals in areas like legalizing gay marriage or recreational drugs, the death penalty may finally die in the US. It is still very popular in the southeastern states and the majority of American support the death penalty, but I can't help thinking we may see the end of it by 2020.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
05-02-2014, 06:59 PM
RE: The End of The Death Penalty in America
I hope you are right.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
05-02-2014, 07:22 PM
(05-02-2014 06:54 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  This drug mixture was used on a prisoner named Dennis McGuire with horrible results. McGuire gasped, chocked, gagged, and convulsed for 25 minutes before he finally died. I doubt they will try such a drug combination like that again.

"Poor" guy. I wonder how his victim suffered? How many minutes or hours he tortured her? how many times she was gasping, was chocked, gaged and convulsed, how scared was she?
poor, poor whatever his name is.
I wonder if you care about TRUE victim. I doubt.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
05-02-2014, 07:23 PM
I'd rather not be like him, thank you very much.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
05-02-2014, 07:26 PM
(05-02-2014 07:22 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 06:54 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  This drug mixture was used on a prisoner named Dennis McGuire with horrible results. McGuire gasped, chocked, gagged, and convulsed for 25 minutes before he finally died. I doubt they will try such a drug combination like that again.

"Poor" guy. I wonder how his victim suffered? How many minutes or hours he tortured her? how many times she was gasping, was chocked, gaged and convulsed, how scared was she?
I wonder if you care. I doubt.

I do care and I do feel bad for the victims and what they suffered at the hands of that scumbag McGuire. But we do have an Eighth Amendment, which prohibits using cruel and unusual punishments. This is why we don't boil people in oil or nail them to crosses. We don't torture people to death, even though we may feel that emotion towards a cockroach like McGuire.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
05-02-2014, 07:54 PM
I think Texas will declare independence before they give up the death penalty.
They're pretty batshit like that.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
05-02-2014, 08:20 PM
I don't support the death penalty. I believe it's an archaic function fueled by the need for revenge, like an "eye for an eye." And, according to stats, the death penalty is not a deterrent to murder. And, I believe it's a step up the evolution scale in social consciousness to end the death penalty.

I know it's going to come up so:
Um, yes, a member of my family, my 6 year old daughter, was victim to a terrible crime. Revenge was not what we NEEDED or wanted--it will eat you up. We did want protection for other children through permanent incarceration for him. Most people that commit his type of crime don't rehabilitate, so, life would have been the best protection for others.

On Texas: I don't see the Texas legislation or Texans giving up the death penalty easily.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 5 users Like Dee's post
05-02-2014, 11:39 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath. I understand distrust of the justice system, and that being a good reason to oppose the death penalty, but I don't understand people who oppose it on some kind of moral grounds. Why the hell shouldn't we kill fuckwads who deserve it, in a theoretical ideal world where we've properly identified them?

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
05-02-2014, 11:42 PM
(05-02-2014 08:20 PM)Dee Wrote:  I don't support the death penalty. I believe it's an archaic function fueled by the need for revenge, like an "eye for an eye."

That's what prison is all about too. Don't fool yourself into thinking its purpose is deterrence or reform. It's purpose is to keep victims from extracting justice on their own, in an uncontrolled manner.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
06-02-2014, 04:15 AM
(05-02-2014 07:22 PM)Alla Wrote:  

I wonder if you care about TRUE victim. I doubt.

Why does that matter?

Under a divine law system, retribution will be delivered by the deity and not as part of the mundane legal system.

Are you playing at being god?

Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post