The European Union UK Referendum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-06-2016, 07:48 PM
RE: The European Union UK Referendum
Meh. The referendum is a hiccough in a long trend. Many people have been hit hard and displaced by globalization. So the EU/Britain 1.0 didn't work out so well. It's not the end of the long term trends, which no vote or isolationism can reverse. Eventually there will be EU/Britain 2.0 and 3.0 etc etc. Globalization is here to stay, no matter what any one country does in the short run.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-06-2016, 08:14 PM
What's pissing me off right now is all the whining losers who want the referendum run again because they didn't win. That's not how democracy works. What kind of world are we living in, where the population of a democratic country, cannot accept a democratic result that didn't go their way? Where's the maturity?

Last night, I was fully expecting a remain win when the polls closed at 10PM... That wasn't the result I had been hoping for, but I was fully prepared to accept it and live with it, because that's democracy... The very thing that made me want out of the EU in the first place. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But then Europhiles have been spoiled by the EU, which often rejects democratic results that don't go their way. They're used to getting their own way.

As far as Scotland is concerned... Two years ago, they voted to stay in the United Kingdom. There were no special conditions attached to that, it was a straight Yes/No to independence, and the majority in Scotland voted No. Therefore, the Scottish people, as UK citizens, of a democratic society, should accept the fact that more UK citizens voted to leave the EU, than to remain. The referendum was carried out UK wide, irrespective of internal borders.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2016, 08:18 PM
(24-06-2016 08:14 PM)Sam Wrote:  What's pissing me off right now is all the whining losers who want the referendum run again because they didn't win. That's not how democracy works. What kind of world are we living in, where the population of a democratic country, cannot accept a democratic result that didn't go their way? Where's the maturity?

Last night, I was fully expecting a remain win when the polls closed at 10PM... That wasn't the result I had been hoping for, but I was fully prepared to accept it and live with it, because that's democracy... The very thing that made me want out of the EU in the first place. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But then Europhiles have been spoiled by the EU, which often rejects democratic results that don't go their way. They're used to getting their own way.

As far as Scotland is concerned... Two years ago, they voted to stay in the United Kingdom. There were no special conditions attached to that, it was a straight Yes/No to independence, and the majority in Scotland voted No. Therefore, the Scottish people, as UK citizens, of a democratic society, should accept the fact that more UK citizens voted to leave the EU, than to remain. The referendum was carried out UK wide, irrespective of internal borders.

When the leader of the Leave movement comes on the Morning news talk program and admits that the main point of their campaign

[Image: Cls4mWJXIAAH4ts.jpg:large]

was a LIE then yes some people are having second thoughts. The fact that the Scottish stay vote was as close as it was meant there was going to be another referendum at the first opportune time. In fact don't be surprised to see Northern Ireland (another Remain vote) to follow suit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-06-2016, 08:33 PM
(24-06-2016 08:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 08:14 PM)Sam Wrote:  What's pissing me off right now is all the whining losers who want the referendum run again because they didn't win. That's not how democracy works. What kind of world are we living in, where the population of a democratic country, cannot accept a democratic result that didn't go their way? Where's the maturity?

When the leader of the Leave movement comes on the Morning news talk program and admits that the main point of their campaign

[Image: Cls4mWJXIAAH4ts.jpg:large]

You're talking about Nigel Farage... He wasn't part of that campaign. That bus and slogan was part of the official Vote Leave campaign. Farage led a separate campaign called Leave.EU

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2016, 02:19 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 02:22 AM by Mathilda.)
(24-06-2016 08:14 PM)Sam Wrote:  As far as Scotland is concerned... Two years ago, they voted to stay in the United Kingdom. There were no special conditions attached to that, it was a straight Yes/No to independence, and the majority in Scotland voted No. Therefore, the Scottish people, as UK citizens, of a democratic society, should accept the fact that more UK citizens voted to leave the EU, than to remain. The referendum was carried out UK wide, irrespective of internal borders.

I agree that people should accept the results of referendums if they don't get the results they want, but that assumes that the referendums were valid in the first place.

It is clear now that the people were lied to with the Scottish referendum. When it looked like the Yes vote was winning, Westminster broke the Edinburgh agreement and promised whatever it took to get a No vote. They had no intention of delivering their promises such as more power to Scotland. When Scotland voted to stay in the UK, not only did Westminster not give more power, thinking that they had averted independence they actually started taking power away from Scotland. Look at how Leave politicians have already started to backtrack on lies such as the 350m a week being spent on the NHS.

If one side makes promises then they need to be held accountable afterwards so those promises can be fulfilled. Otherwise it's a pointless exercise having a referendum if the politicians can promise whatever they like without having to deliver on them and the voters can't trust what each side says. That alone was enough to call the Scottish referendum null and void because the people were being lied to.

But crucially in this case, one of the central arguments put forward by the No campaign, was that by voting to stay in the UK they were voting to stay in the EU. Their argument was that voting to leave the UK would put in doubt continued membership of the EU. Two years later, the whole county is being forced out of the EU despite voting to stay in it twice. Scotland will never trust being ruled solely by Westminster.

There will be effectively be a third referendum on the EU in Scotland and this time we will get what the country voted for.
[+] 8 users Like Mathilda's post
25-06-2016, 12:59 PM
(24-06-2016 12:05 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 10:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This is probably going to turn out to be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Limey bastards must be suffering from scurvy. Pretty sure Scotland and Ireland are going to take advantage of this to break away from the United Kingdom and join the EU as independent sovereign States. You so stupid.

HA! Called it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
25-06-2016, 01:00 PM
(25-06-2016 12:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  HA! Called it.

Girly truly is the Son of Bob. Bowing

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
25-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Little humor to brighten up the situation.

[Image: 576ea0ecf0fc7.jpeg]

[Image: 576eaa6f29422.jpeg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
25-06-2016, 03:03 PM
(25-06-2016 12:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 12:05 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Limey bastards must be suffering from scurvy. Pretty sure Scotland and Ireland are going to take advantage of this to break away from the United Kingdom and join the EU as independent sovereign States. You so stupid.

HA! Called it.

Jayus, if this continues we could end up with a united Ireland Tongue

http://www.independent.ie/business/brexi...33135.html

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 4 users Like Marozz's post
25-06-2016, 03:06 PM
(25-06-2016 03:03 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 12:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  HA! Called it.

Jayus, if this continues we could end up with a united Ireland Tongue

http://www.independent.ie/business/brexi...33135.html

And you drunks ain't got no clue what to do next do you?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post