The European Union UK Referendum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-07-2016, 01:19 PM
RE: The European Union UK Referendum
(01-07-2016 10:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 07:04 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  Cameron did *try* to negotiate with the EU prior to the referendum and got very little out of it, perhaps if the EU had been more willing to compromise the referendum result would have been different, but the result of the negotiations only served to reinforce opinion that the EU is unyielding and dictatorial. To me it looks like a case of the EU calling the UK's bluff, rather than any real desire to adapt to suit it's members needs.

Heard the same crap from my mother. Do you actually know what Cameron was trying to get rid of when he renegotiated with the EU and what it would have meant had he succeeded? Basically he was trying to get rid of worker's rights. Fine if you're a pensioner otherwise fuck that. And a few years down the line the Brits would have been back to get rid of some other regulations that protect us all in order to make a select few even richer.

The EU did the right thing.

Why is it crap? You don't think that the general view was that the negotiation was a massive fail, or that such a perception would have had any bearing on a decision to vote leave?

Re the workers rights - do you have a citation for that, 'cause the documents on europa only refer to reducing 'red tape' - anything else is inferred (even if, knowing the tories, you might be right in inferring that). And the EU did agree to work towards reducing regulation.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2016, 01:27 PM
On a purely personal level I'm annoyed because the fallout tanked the CAD/JPY exchange rate, which makes my trip later this summer more expensive.

On a wider level, that the result turned both the government and opposition parties into pathetic shambles seems to speak for itself.

... this is my signature!
01-07-2016, 01:34 PM
(01-07-2016 01:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  On a purely personal level I'm annoyed because the fallout tanked the CAD/JPY exchange rate, which makes my trip later this summer more expensive.

On a wider level, that the result turned both the government and opposition parties into pathetic shambles seems to speak for itself.

Well England and the United States are in a competition to see who can fuck up their country the most. England is in the lead but the US has a Trump card.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-07-2016, 01:44 PM
(01-07-2016 01:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 01:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  On a purely personal level I'm annoyed because the fallout tanked the CAD/JPY exchange rate, which makes my trip later this summer more expensive.

Well England and the United States are in a competition to see who can fuck up their country the most. England is in the lead but the US has a Trump card.

Well, now, let's be fair - it's not down to just England quite yet...

... this is my signature!
01-07-2016, 04:57 PM
(01-07-2016 01:19 PM)ukatheist Wrote:  Re the workers rights - do you have a citation for that, 'cause the documents on europa only refer to reducing 'red tape' - anything else is inferred (even if, knowing the tories, you might be right in inferring that). And the EU did agree to work towards reducing regulation.

David Cameron to demand opt-out on EU work law in referendum negotiations
01-07-2016, 05:00 PM
(01-07-2016 01:44 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 01:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well England and the United States are in a competition to see who can fuck up their country the most. England is in the lead but the US has a Trump card.

Well, now, let's be fair - it's not down to just England quite yet...

True. There's Wales as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
01-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Want to know the reality of employment law after Brexit? Just look at this document the government buried four years ago

Quote:If we leave the EU, the Conservatives have a blueprint for scrapping workers' rights

Quote:Four years ago, the coalition government published and then buried a controversial report about employment law. It may sound tedious but the contents of the Beecroft report, though written in impenetrable legalese, were anything but.

The short report, first drafted in October 2011 and authored by multimillionaire venture capitalist and Tory donor Adrian Beecroft, set out some shocking ideas about how to get the economy moving and get more people into jobs. Top of the list? Abandoning the concept of unfair dismissal altogether.

Beecroft’s big idea was that employers should be able to sack their staff overnight with no need for an explanation – and there’s nothing the employee would be able to do about.

Quote:Beecroft suggested, small businesses with less than 10 employees should be allowed to opt out of pension auto-enrolment, the right to request flexible working (and, if we imagine we’ve now left the EU, that would including parental flexible working too), flexible parental leave, equal pay audits and licensing for businesses that employ children.

He also wanted to reduce the consultation period on collective redundancies, and third party harassment legislation which means it is an employer’s responsibility to protect their staff from harassment in the workplace even if it is conducted by customers or other staff.
04-07-2016, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 07:10 AM by Marozz.)
So Nigel has stepped aside to let someone else clean up the mess.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36702468

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
04-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Just spent a week travelling around Northern Ireland. Thanks to brexit the exchange rate from Euro to Sterling was in my favour. Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 3 users Like Marozz's post
04-07-2016, 10:18 AM
(04-07-2016 07:05 AM)Marozz Wrote:  So Nigel has stepped aside to let someone else clean up the mess.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36702468

[Image: CmiGiK2W8AEDemO.jpg:large]

[Image: CmiJE28WYAAW-xM.png:large]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post