The European Union UK Referendum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-06-2016, 04:02 AM
RE: The European Union UK Referendum
(03-06-2016 12:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 12:08 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Main reasons are keeping their sovereignty, control of their borders , and the power to elect and remove from office people who govern their lives.
Right now, their lives are governed by nameless , faceless bureaucrats in Brussels who are elected by no one and who answer to no one.

Gasp Dear God, they have a European government??? And the Brits can't run the entire show themselves? I had no idea! It must be deconstructed immediately.

Wooow, sarcasm. Such a powerful intellectual weapon, I bet you win every argument.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2016, 04:08 AM
(03-06-2016 04:02 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 12:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  Gasp Dear God, they have a European government??? And the Brits can't run the entire show themselves? I had no idea! It must be deconstructed immediately.

Wooow, sarcasm. Such a powerful intellectual weapon, I bet you win every argument.

Rolleyes Yeah I'm all about winning. I mean, it's not like the sarcasm had a point at all, I just roll it out when I can't think of anything else to say.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-06-2016, 05:19 AM
(03-06-2016 04:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 04:02 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Wooow, sarcasm. Such a powerful intellectual weapon, I bet you win every argument.

Rolleyes Yeah I'm all about winning. I mean, it's not like the sarcasm had a point at all, I just roll it out when I can't think of anything else to say.

Yeah, yeah, your sarcasm had one one point that I have to agree with , it`s the part when you say you had no idea.

If you had any idea how European government works , you would understand that legislative power lies with bodies that are not elected into office but appointed, and who basically answer to nobody, and have no term of office.
Knowing that, you might ( or might not ) get to the correct conclusion that this type of governing goes against the very core of democratic principles.

Understanding of this would hopefully prevent you from making silly sarcastic comments insinuating that Brits are unhappy with EU because
they don`t get to " run the entire show themselves" .

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
03-06-2016, 05:42 AM
(03-06-2016 05:19 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 04:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes Yeah I'm all about winning. I mean, it's not like the sarcasm had a point at all, I just roll it out when I can't think of anything else to say.

Yeah, yeah, your sarcasm had one one point that I have to agree with , it`s the part when you say you had no idea.

If you had any idea how European government works , you would understand that legislative power lies with bodies that are not elected into office but appointed, and who basically answer to nobody, and have no term of office.
Knowing that, you might ( or might not ) get to the correct conclusion that this type of governing goes against the very core of democratic principles.

Understanding of this would hopefully prevent you from making silly sarcastic comments insinuating that Brits are unhappy with EU because

And by whom, pray, are these bodies who are not elected appointed? They really answer to nobody? Such terrible undemocratic ideas as the West has stood against for centuries! And yet, they managed to sneak these rules in so that for 50 odd years nobody noticed this traversty of democracy?

Silly statements aren't a monopoly you know, you seem to have plenty of daft ideas of your own.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-06-2016, 07:29 AM
(03-06-2016 05:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 05:19 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yeah, yeah, your sarcasm had one one point that I have to agree with , it`s the part when you say you had no idea.

And by whom, pray, are these bodies who are not elected appointed? They really answer to nobody? Such terrible undemocratic ideas as the West has stood against for centuries! And yet, they managed to sneak these rules in so that for 50 odd years nobody noticed this traversty of democracy?

Silly statements aren't a monopoly you know, you seem to have plenty of daft ideas of your own.

Your argumentation is getting better by the minute , now it`s
"Omg, I can`t fathom this to be true so I`m deciding it is not".

Instead of researching this matter and providing counterarguments you dismissed my statements as daft.

I can`t beat that. I guess that means you win.

Btw , considering the presidential candidates in your own country, are you really that surprised with the travesty of democracy taking place?
( rhetorical question )

03-06-2016, 07:57 AM
(03-06-2016 05:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 05:19 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yeah, yeah, your sarcasm had one one point that I have to agree with , it`s the part when you say you had no idea.

If the EU government counts as unelected then nobody lives in a democracy.

Which is, I guess, an argument one could make...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
03-06-2016, 08:09 AM
(02-06-2016 08:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I wasn't aware we ruled you anymore, I mean you're part of the commonwealth but that's not the same as being ruled, although I do find it weird that your flag still incorporates the Union Jack, that does seem a bit odd. [...]

The English monarchy still effectively rules Australia. The highest authority in our country is the Governor-General (currently Sir Peter Cosgrove) who's the Queen's representative, and whose power is such that he, or she, can dismiss the current government without any recourse to the Australian people—as happened in 1975.

Section 61 of the 1901 Australian Constitution provides that; "The executive power of the Commonwealth is vested in the Queen and is exercisable by the Governor-General as the Queen’s representative, and extends to the execution and maintenance of this Constitution, and of the laws of the Commonwealth".

There's also a republican movement gathering strength in Australia to discard the current Australian flag, designed in 1901, and replace it with one better representing the country. More particularly we want the Union Jack to be removed from the canton. (And give Betty and her mob of inbred degenerates the flick LOL.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-06-2016, 08:16 AM
(03-06-2016 08:09 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 08:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I wasn't aware we ruled you anymore, I mean you're part of the commonwealth but that's not the same as being ruled, although I do find it weird that your flag still incorporates the Union Jack, that does seem a bit odd. [...]

The English monarchy still effectively rules Australia.

There hasn't been an English monarchy since 1707.

(03-06-2016 08:09 AM)SYZ Wrote:  The highest authority in our country is the Governor-General (currently Sir Peter Cosgrove) who's the Queen's representative, and whose power is such that he, or she, can dismiss the current government without any recourse to the Australian people—as happened in 1975.

Section 61 of the 1901 Australian Constitution provides that; "The executive power of the Commonwealth is vested in the Queen and is exercisable by the Governor-General as the Queen’s representative, and extends to the execution and maintenance of this Constitution, and of the laws of the Commonwealth".

The Canadian constitution says something similar. It doesn't actually mean what you seem to think it means.

(03-06-2016 08:09 AM)SYZ Wrote:  There's also a republican movement gathering strength in Australia to discard the current Australian flag, designed in 1901, and replace it with one better representing the country.

We swapped our flag fifty years ago; what's taken you guys so long? Not that that actually has anything to do with republicanism...

... this is my signature!
03-06-2016, 08:23 AM
This whole debate is uber confusing if only the EU confined itself exclusively to agricultural and trade agreements / cooperation and worked towards being a force that reduces beaurocracy in those areas I would be its number one fan but its the gradual political federalisation of Europe that concerns me.
03-06-2016, 08:28 AM
(03-06-2016 08:09 AM)SYZ Wrote:  

The English monarchy still effectively rules Australia. The highest authority in our country is the Governor-General (currently Sir Peter Cosgrove) who's the Queen's representative, and whose power is such that he, or she, can dismiss the current government without any recourse to the Australian people—as happened in 1975.

There's also a republican movement gathering strength in Australia to discard the current Australian flag, designed in 1901, and replace it with one better representing the country. More particularly we want the Union Jack to be removed from the canton. (And give Betty and her mob of inbred degenerates the flick LOL.)

Interesting, I have learned something today, not sure all of us are inbred thoughBig Grin