The European Union UK Referendum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-06-2016, 08:30 AM
RE: The European Union UK Referendum
(03-06-2016 08:16 AM)cjlr Wrote:  There hasn't been an English monarchy since 1707.
Uh... are you claiming that QEII is not English? Or are you just playing with semantics?

Quote:Section 61 of the 1901 Australian Constitution provides that; "The executive power of the Commonwealth is vested in the Queen and is exercisable by the Governor-General as the Queen’s representative, and extends to the execution and maintenance of this Constitution, and of the laws of the Commonwealth".

The Canadian constitution says something similar. It doesn't actually mean what you seem to think it means.
Yes it does.

Quote:We swapped our flag fifty years ago; what's taken you guys so long? Not that that actually has anything to do with republicanism...
Conservatives rule the country sadly. And of course the flag issue has connections with a new Aussie republic. Do you seriously think we'd leave the Union Jack on our flag when we become a republic—presumably when Betty pops her clogs in a couple of years' time?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2016, 08:33 AM
(03-06-2016 08:30 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 08:16 AM)cjlr Wrote:  There hasn't been an English monarchy since 1707.
Uh... are you claiming that QEII is not English? Or are you just playing with semantics?

Quote:Section 61 of the 1901 Australian Constitution provides that; "The executive power of the Commonwealth is vested in the Queen and is exercisable by the Governor-General as the Queen’s representative, and extends to the execution and maintenance of this Constitution, and of the laws of the Commonwealth".

The Canadian constitution says something similar. It doesn't actually mean what you seem to think it means.
Yes it does.

Quote:We swapped our flag fifty years ago; what's taken you guys so long? Not that that actually has anything to do with republicanism...
Conservatives rule the country sadly. And of course the flag issue has connections with a new Aussie republic. Do you seriously think we'd leave the Union Jack on our flag when we become a republic—presumably when Betty pops her clogs in a couple of years' time?

If she's got her mothers genes your gonna have to wait for another ten years at least.
03-06-2016, 08:38 AM

She's British. England hasn't existed since 1707. Call that semantics if you like. And I get that you're trying to be dismissive, but it just makes you sound ignorant.

Yes it does.

It declares a figurehead to embody the executive branch. By no possible stretch of imagination does that constitute "effectively ruling" (your exact words!).

No. I said that Canada adopted a new flag without changing our constitution.

Various Commonwealth members have actually kept British elements in their flags after becoming republics, incidentally; although the only one who still does is, if I recall correctly, Fiji, who plan to change theirs this year (having been a republic since 1987).

... this is my signature!
03-06-2016, 08:49 AM
(03-06-2016 07:29 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 05:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  And by whom, pray, are these bodies who are not elected appointed? They really answer to nobody? Such terrible undemocratic ideas as the West has stood against for centuries! And yet, they managed to sneak these rules in so that for 50 odd years nobody noticed this traversty of democracy?

Silly statements aren't a monopoly you know, you seem to have plenty of daft ideas of your own.

Your argumentation is getting better by the minute , now it`s
"Omg, I can`t fathom this to be true so I`m deciding it is not".

Instead of researching this matter and providing counterarguments you dismissed my statements as daft.

I'm sorry you think that asking you questions ranks as "dismissing" you. I already made the counter-argument. "IF these guys are appointed, WHO appoints them?" No doubt it's gotta be unelected low-level municipal officials or something. After all, you argued that no one in Europe gets a say in who is in the EU government, apart from some mystical body who appoints them. Go on, find another way to paint that as me dismissing you out of hand.

Quote:I can`t beat that. I guess that means you win.
Yes, because this has all been about my massive ego and me winning. Rolleyes

Quote:Btw , considering the presidential candidates in your own country, are you really that surprised with the travesty of democracy taking place?
( rhetorical question )
I don't dispute that we have plenty of undemocratic politicians here in SA, your point?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Slowminded, I'm... not happy to be fighting with you over this. Equally I'm not delighted to be told I'm an idiot, even if that may be the case. Sorry for being a dick.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-06-2016, 09:00 AM
This Peter Cosgrove is he British or Australian? Because that would kind of make a difference, well, to my mind it would.
03-06-2016, 12:11 PM
(03-06-2016 08:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  Slowminded, I'm... not happy to be fighting with you over this. Equally I'm not delighted to be told I'm an idiot, even if that may be the case. Sorry for being a dick.

I don't want to fight with you over this either. It was never my intention to call you an idiot, I don't think you are.
Admittedly, sometimes , if I feel that my statements were misrepresented or strawmaned my temper gets the better of me whether it was done intentionally or not , so my tone becomes more offensive then it should be.
I apologize if I offended you.

As for the questions you asked , I would just like you to understand that my statements came from me researching the matter, I try not to pull my opinions out of my ass.
This , of course , doesn't mean that my conclusions are correct, and you have every right to call them daft if you think they are, people should always be kept in check by their peers.

I just finished watching Brexit, the movie. And even tho I understand that it is Brexit propaganda and therefore probably biased , you can imagine the smug smile on my face when this video validated my opinions almost to a tee. I might be crazy but at least I'm not alone. Laugh out loadLaugh out load
I promise I didn't watch it before.
It's very interesting , I advise everybody to watch it , it's an hour well spent.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
03-06-2016, 04:32 PM
[Image: keep-calm-and-vote-for-brexit.png]

From what I've read, yeah.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-06-2016, 02:02 PM
(01-06-2016 04:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why would you leave the EU though? I don't quite get it. I thought the EU was nice 'cos of easy border controls and economic benefits. Why's leaving suddenly a bright idea? A bit like when Scotland suddenly decided they'd like to be their own country - what the hell was that about?... It's just... it seems like a hang of a lot of effort to do it, so what's the great big benefit that leaving the EU will give to you?

Getting out of an un-democratic, bureaucratic nightmare for one.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
05-06-2016, 02:10 PM
I couldn't give less of a shit about any of the economic arguments. The EU is ultimately an ideological project, that is prepared to shit all over democracy in order to achieve its goals. Every aspect of the way its governed seems to be designed to exclude the public from the process as much as possible.

I want out... The bastards can kiss my arse.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post