The Euthanasia Debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2017, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2017 10:51 AM by Cypher44.)
The Euthanasia Debate
Euthanasia is a highly emotive subject. I do not intend to offend anyone with this thread.

Euthanasia is categorized in different ways, which include voluntary, non-voluntary, or involuntary. Voluntary euthanasia is legal in some countries. Non-voluntary euthanasia (patient's consent unavailable) is illegal in all countries. Involuntary euthanasia e.g. Action T4 Nazi Germany (without asking consent or against the patient's will) is also illegal in all countries and is usually considered murder.

Euthanasia is further subdivided into passive and active, active euthanasia is when e.g. a lethal injection is administered and passive is when treatments is withheld e.g. antibiotics

People who are against euthanasia argue mainly using the point "Sanctity of Life" this is found in Genesis 1:26 and in Islamic belief in Surah 3:145 and Surah 16:61, Judaism is also largely opposed to euthanasia. The point is, basically since God is responsible for creation, he alone can take life.

Pro-euthanasia people argue that people should be allowed to choose their own fate and that euthanasia is a better alternative than permitting suffering.

Active voluntary euthanasia is legal in Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Passive voluntary euthanasia is legal throughout the U.S. When the patient brings about his or her own death with the assistance of a doctor, it is called assisted suicide, assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland and the U.S. states of California, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Vermont.

Euthanasia is still illegal in many parts of the world..

My question Is as follows :

Should voluntary and non-voluntary euthanasia be legalised everywhere? (globally?)
If so.. passive or active or both?

I hand over to you

Oh no. He's here - God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2017, 03:18 PM
RE: The Euthanasia Debate
We should all be able to check-out any way we want, whenever we want.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
15-01-2017, 03:44 PM
One wonder why you even mention T4 - simple murder having nothing to do with mercy but all with financial gains and ideology. I find it strange.

For me it is easy - there is no nobility in suffering and anybody denying other right to good death is person so shitty that I have trouble to finding appropriate curse word. I don't give shit about religious nuts objections, all their sanctity of life means shit in face of human suffering and right to choose.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
15-01-2017, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2017 01:53 PM by Bucky Ball.)
We already can.

Families and patients, in consultation with their physicians, decide every day of the week, thousands of times every day, to stop or withhold treatment that is deemed to be useless ("futile") in changing an outcome.
The funny thing is, religionists who *claim* to believe in heaven, are no more apt to decline the *do everything possible* option.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/0...ul-gawande

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-01-2017, 03:51 PM
(15-01-2017 03:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  We should all be able to check-out any way we want, whenever we want.

Almost wherever, and whenever!

I don't want to have to dodge a jumper, or be crushed underneath, when they impact the ground! Confused

16-01-2017, 10:53 AM
(15-01-2017 03:44 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  One wonder why you even mention T4 - simple murder having nothing to do with mercy but all with financial gains and ideology. I find it strange.

For me it is easy - there is no nobility in suffering and anybody denying other right to good death is person so shitty that I have trouble to finding appropriate curse word. I don't give shit about religious nuts objections, all their sanctity of life means shit in face of human suffering and right to choose.

For some reason, Action T4 is portrayed as involuntary euthanasia (even though it just murder)

Oh no. He's here - God
16-01-2017, 10:58 AM
(15-01-2017 03:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We already can.

Families and patients, in consultation with their physicians, decide every day of the week, thousands of times every day, to stop or withhold treatment that is deemed to be useless in changing an outcome.
The funny thing is, religionists who *claim* to believe in heaven, are no more apt to decline the *do everything possible* option.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/0...ul-gawande

Certain types of euthanasia is illegal in areas such as Britain (where I live)

Both active euthanasia and assisted suicide are illegal under English law.
Depending on the circumstances, euthanasia is regarded as either manslaughter or murder and is punishable by law, with a maximum penalty of up to life imprisonment. 
Assisted suicide is illegal under the terms of the Suicide Act (1961) and is punishable by up to 14 years' imprisonment. Attempting to kill yourself is not a criminal act in itself. 

However, under English law, all adults have the right to refuse medical treatment, as long as they have sufficient capacity (the ability to use and understand information to make a decision).

Oh no. He's here - God
16-01-2017, 11:19 AM
We have the death with dignity act here in Oregon. You have to have a fatal illness, then you go to a doctor and pick up your prescription. You can use it anytime after that.

Most people who have the prescription never actually use it.

It's hugely comforting to know that if things get too bad you can always stop it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-01-2017, 12:34 PM
(16-01-2017 10:53 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 03:44 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  One wonder why you even mention T4 - simple murder having nothing to do with mercy but all with financial gains and ideology. I find it strange.

For some reason, Action T4 is portrayed as involuntary euthanasia (even though it just murder)

I can guess the reason - attempt to make euthanasia look bad. Just like with calling abortion killing of the unborn.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-01-2017, 12:44 PM
If you whack yourself -- what the fuck can they do to punish you????

Bring ya back, and whack ya again???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.