"The Evangelical Rejection of Reason"--Op-Ed in New York Times

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2011, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2011 11:20 PM by cufflink.)
"The Evangelical Rejection of Reason"--Op-Ed in New York Times
Interesting Op-Ed piece in today's New York Times, written by a couple of progressive Evangelicals (which is apparently not an oxymoron).

Excerpts:

Quote:THE Republican presidential field has become a showcase of evangelical anti-intellectualism. . . .

Within the evangelical world, tensions have emerged between those who deny secular knowledge, and those who have kept up with it and integrated it with their faith. Almost all evangelical colleges employ faculty members with degrees from major research universities — a conduit for knowledge from the larger world. We find students arriving on campus tired of the culture-war approach to faith in which they were raised, and more interested in promoting social justice than opposing gay marriage.

[Certain] scholars . . . offer an alternative to the self-anointed leaders. They recognize that the Bible does not condemn evolution and says next to nothing about gay marriage. They understand that Christian theology can incorporate Darwin’s insights and flourish in a pluralistic society. . . .

[W]hen the faith of so many Americans becomes an occasion to embrace discredited, ridiculous and even dangerous ideas, we must not be afraid to speak out, even if it means criticizing fellow Christians.

Not quite a ringing endorsement of freethinking, but I see it as indication of forces at work within the Evangelical world that are trying to move it in a more reasonable direction. That can't be bad.

ETA: Didn't want to leave the impression I love everything in the article. When the authors say, "Americans have always trusted in God, and even today atheism is little more than a quiet voice on the margins," they're engaging in wishful thinking. The atheist voice ain't so quiet anymore.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2011, 11:46 PM
RE: "The Evangelical Rejection of Reason"--Op-Ed in New York Times
Kicking and screaming they will be dragged into the 18th century. Baby steps I guess.

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
18-10-2011, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2011 04:16 PM by zaika.)
[W]hen the faith of so many Americans becomes an occasion to embrace discredited, ridiculous and even dangerous ideas, we must not be afraid to speak out, even if it means criticizing fellow Christians.

I'm slightly encouraged about this part. More moderate and liberal christians need to start speaking out, loudly and frequently, against those that have taken it upon themselves to speak for the majority of American christians. I have heard countless times from individual christians that they don't agree with the fundamentalists, but when these same "progressive" christians group together...they are completely silent and/or avoid saying anything that contradicts the fundies.

I think that atheists should encourage those moderate and liberal christians to speak out more.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
18-10-2011, 12:31 PM
To all those who slag the moderates, I give you the moderates: saviours of the day Cool

Quote:...the battle front is not between Muslims and non-Muslims. The real battle front is between moderates on all sides of all the faith traditions and the radicals on all sides.
-Imam Faisal Abdul Rauf

I hope that men like Giberson and Stephens manage to rescue the discourse from people like, well, the entire field of Republican candidates. I also hope that men like these challenge the narrative that there are no reasonable Christians to speak to.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
18-10-2011, 12:33 PM
That's pretty crazy, but I have seen this rising as a trend almost. Religions the western world over at least seem to be crying for favor. Maybe in light of all the far right fundie christians making them not look so hot in the media, even to other christians.

What surprises me most was the fact that this article appeared in a major western newspaper at all. Good for them.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-10-2011, 01:13 PM
OK guys glad to hear your Evangelicals over there are slowly evolving …

any chance you can get them to send a few of the new more enlightened types over here to the UK ….
We seem to still have the old variety….

Evangelicals still plumbing the depths....

"At least three people in London with HIV have died after they stopped taking life saving drugs on the advice of their Evangelical Christian pastors."

"The women died after attending churches in London where they were encouraged to stop taking the antiretroviral drugs in the belief that God would heal them, their friends and a leading HIV doctor said."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14406818

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
[/font][/size]

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
18-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Perhaps even they recognize that the evangelicals are getting so extreme that they are losing touch with the rest of us.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user