The "Eve Gene", Black Women - The Mother of All Humans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 11:44 AM
The "Eve Gene", Black Women - The Mother of All Humans
This is new to me. This "Eve Gene" thing.

Has anyone looked into or even studied the science behind this?

The reason I ask is this came up as a meme on my FB feed today:
[Image: F4Ivh4m.jpg?1]

I'm hoping it's true. Not that bigots would believe it anyway because, you know how they feel about science and facts and shit but because it makes sense and even the uneducated can understand the concept of black being all colors and white being no color.

I looked this up and there are tons of search links devoted to this but I'd like something from somewhere more authentic than wiki and I don't want to pop in and out of 5 million links. Any reliable site suggestions or links would be helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

I will say though, I dislike it being called the "Eve" gene. It drives me nuts to see people mix religious connotation into science. I feel like it just adds validity to the woo rather than softening the science for unscientific people.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2016, 12:20 PM
RE: The "Eve Gene", Black Women - The Mother of All Humans
Sounds like nonsense to me. Not only mitochondrial DNA is not exclusive to black women, it's also not exclusive to women in general and not even to humans. Even animals and plants have it. The only particular thing you could say is that this DNA is inherited solely from the mother in humans, if I remember correctly. Nothing special or transcendent about it.

And what does it mean "it has all the different kinds of human"? This statement makes no sense.

Finally, it's black = no colors, white = all colors. Sunlight is not black. Wink

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 3 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
15-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Well no. The thing is the africans you see today are different from the africans you see now. Many africans today pretty much have a middle eastern thing going on with them. Sounds like one of those pan african things I see so much.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
15-05-2016, 12:40 PM
(15-05-2016 12:20 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Sounds like nonsense to me. Not only mitochondrial DNA is not exclusive to black women, it's also not exclusive to women in general and not even to humans. Even animals and plants have it. The only particular thing you could say is that this DNA is inherited solely from the mother in humans, if I remember correctly. Nothing special or transcendent about it.

And what does it mean "it has all the different kinds of human"? This statement makes no sense.

Finally, it's black = no colors, white = all colors. Sunlight is not black. Wink

In pigment all colors make black, no color is white. Tongue

15-05-2016, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2016 12:49 PM by TheGulegon.)
When I saw that meme, Heatheness, I thought of that KKK grand master from Oh Brother Where Art Thou, screaming "aand all them smart ass folks 'at say we come descended from monkehs". Laugh out load Understand, I'm laughing at how stupid the bigotry would be, as a response, by some honkies, to that meme. Tongue

But I figure we're all human. Way back when we first lost our body hair, & roamed that hot ass continent, Africa, the sun cooked us dark. Then when we moved up to the frigid north, and had to cover up or freeze to death, we lost our color & went all pale from lack of sunlight beating directly on our skin. I go outside without a shirt on, right now, I could change my color. Shy Could be more to it than just that, tho. I ain't no scientist. Tongue

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
15-05-2016, 01:06 PM
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2006/0...eve-text/1

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-05-2016, 01:51 PM
(15-05-2016 12:40 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 12:20 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Sounds like nonsense to me. Not only mitochondrial DNA is not exclusive to black women, it's also not exclusive to women in general and not even to humans. Even animals and plants have it. The only particular thing you could say is that this DNA is inherited solely from the mother in humans, if I remember correctly. Nothing special or transcendent about it.

Finally, it's black = no colors, white = all colors. Sunlight is not black. ;)

In pigment all colors make black, no color is white. :P

You're confusing two things: objects that receive light will be black if they don't reflect anything, and white if they reflect everything. But light itself acts the opposite, white is all colors combined.

If you created a wheel with all the colors painted on it, and you started spinning, the wheel will become white.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
15-05-2016, 01:57 PM
(15-05-2016 01:51 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 12:40 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  In pigment all colors make black, no color is white. Tongue

You're confusing two things: objects that receive light will be black if they don't reflect anything, and white if they reflect everything. But light itself acts the opposite, white is all colors combined.

If you created a wheel with all the colors painted on it, and you started spinning, the wheel will become white.

You are confusing pigmentation with light.

15-05-2016, 02:05 PM
(15-05-2016 01:57 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 01:51 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  You're confusing two things: objects that receive light will be black if they don't reflect anything, and white if they reflect everything. But light itself acts the opposite, white is all colors combined.

You are confusing pigmentation with light.

No, I'm not. But my comment on this issue was on something you said in the OP: "the concept of black being all colors and white being no color."

孤独 - The Out Crowd
15-05-2016, 08:28 PM
(15-05-2016 12:20 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Not only mitochondrial DNA is not exclusive to black women, it's also not exclusive to women in general and not even to humans. [...]

True. Human sperm have mitochondrial DNA in their tails.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.