The "Eve Gene", Black Women - The Mother of All Humans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 08:36 PM
RE: The "Eve Gene", Black Women - The Mother of All Humans
(15-05-2016 11:44 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  This is new to me. This "Eve Gene" thing.

Has anyone looked into or even studied the science behind this?

The reason I ask is this came up as a meme on my FB feed today:
[Image: F4Ivh4m.jpg?1]

I'm hoping it's true. Not that bigots would believe it anyway because, you know how they feel about science and facts and shit but because it makes sense and even the uneducated can understand the concept of black being all colors and white being no color.

I looked this up and there are tons of search links devoted to this but I'd like something from somewhere more authentic than wiki and I don't want to pop in and out of 5 million links. Any reliable site suggestions or links would be helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

I will say though, I dislike it being called the "Eve" gene. It drives me nuts to see people mix religious connotation into science. I feel like it just adds validity to the woo rather than softening the science for unscientific people.

I've heard about it...could be true, since pretty sure we all did come from Africa.

But the main thing I totally agree is the whole Eve gene thing.

I also have issues with the term abiogenesis.

Religious people seem to not understand it.

But that's another fish to fry.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-05-2016, 08:48 PM
(15-05-2016 12:40 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  In pigment all colors make black, no color is white.

Light is a form of electromagnetic energy (EMR) propagated at different wavelengths, and as such is invisible. "Colour" is simply a function of the human visual system, and isn't an intrinsic property. Objects don't have any colour as such; they reflect light that "appears" to be a colour. So called irradiance does exist in the physical world, but colour per se exists only in the mind of the beholder.

Visible light is only one type of EMR; other common forms are also invisible to the human eye, such as radio and TV signals, infrared light, microwaves, and X-rays and gamma rays.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
15-05-2016, 09:07 PM
(15-05-2016 11:44 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  This is new to me. This "Eve Gene" thing.

I'm hoping it's true. Not that bigots would believe it anyway because, you know how they feel about science and facts and shit but because it makes sense and even the uneducated can understand the concept of black being all colors and white being no color.

I looked this up and there are tons of search links devoted to this but I'd like something from somewhere more authentic than wiki and I don't want to pop in and out of 5 million links. Any reliable site suggestions or links would be helpful.

I will say though, I dislike it being called the "Eve" gene. It drives me nuts to see people mix religious connotation into science. I feel like it just adds validity to the woo rather than softening the science for unscientific people.

I call bullshit on this; mitochondrial DNA is not responsible for humans. mtDNA dictates only to the mitochondria, because the mitochondria originated as a bacteria that was absorbed by larger cells; it is distinct from the host genetically, which is why we can use it's DNA to track matrilineal lines of descent, it doesn't mix through generations.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
15-05-2016, 09:10 PM
(15-05-2016 09:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

I call bullshit on this; mitochondrial DNA is not responsible for humans. mtDNA dictates only to the mitochondria, because the mitochondria originated as a bacteria that was absorbed by larger cells; it is distinct from the host genetically, which is why we can use it's DNA to track matrilineal lines of descent, it doesn't mix through generations.

Actually I was just reading a little more and agree with you.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Oh man, this is one of those black historical revisionism memes, isn't it? Laugh out load

Here's another good one:

[Image: 0Uqspv.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
16-05-2016, 06:18 PM
(15-05-2016 11:44 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I looked this up and there are tons of search links devoted to this but I'd like something from somewhere more authentic than wiki and I don't want to pop in and out of 5 million links. Any reliable site suggestions or links would be helpful.

Mitochondrial Eve is a real concept. I suggest consulting the scientific papers cited throughout the wiki article. Here's a Nature article that discusses her and Y-Chromosomal Adam:

http://www.nature.com/news/genetic-adam-...me-1.13478
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
16-05-2016, 06:26 PM
(15-05-2016 12:20 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Sounds like nonsense to me. Not only mitochondrial DNA is not exclusive to black women, it's also not exclusive to women in general and not even to humans. Even animals and plants have it. The only particular thing you could say is that this DNA is inherited solely from the mother in humans, if I remember correctly. Nothing special or transcendent about it.

And what does it mean "it has all the different kinds of human"? This statement makes no sense.

Finally, it's black = no colors, white = all colors. Sunlight is not black. Wink

They tried to tell me n kindergarten that white is a mix of all colors, but i proved that wrong before i was 6 years old!
16-05-2016, 06:38 PM
See my previous post for an explanation about how most people are related to the genetic Eve...

(16-08-2012 09:02 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've explained on another thread why the two never met. It really isn't weird if you think about it. The men and women of the original small human population of Africa passed on their genes just like everybody else does. But not all of those separate lineages survived. Some of the original people either didn't have children due to injury, disease, or death, or someone in their lineage down the line didn't have children due to those same reasons. Countless lineages have gone extinct just like different animals species. The Mitochondrial DNA (that passed from a mother to her children) of one woman was lucky enough to survive the dangers of prehistoric life to be passed on to every human alive. The Y chromosome of one man born thousands of years later was also lucky enough to survive as well. The chart below is a good illustration. Notice how some of the top lineages either don't get started or stop only a few generations down. The black figures represent Mitochondrial Eve's lineage:

[Image: MtDNA-MRCA-generations-Evolution.svg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
16-05-2016, 08:09 PM
What constitutes every kind of Human Being?

Is solely genetically Homo Sapiens all we will consider human being in this? Because the African genes that contain no Neanderthal or Denisovan genetic influence which actually makes them more limited in the variation.

Although It is the case they say that the genetic variation in Africa itself is larger than the "white" world or other regions in combination.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-05-2016, 09:31 PM
(15-05-2016 08:28 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 12:20 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Not only mitochondrial DNA is not exclusive to black women, it's also not exclusive to women in general and not even to humans. [...]

True. Human sperm have mitochondrial DNA in their tails.

Exactly. Mitochodria (the power factory) in cells, have their own set of DNA ... and it always only comes from the mother. The DNA in a mitochondrion relate to energy production (pretty much only), not other cells/organelles/traits. The rest of cellular DNA normally exist in the nucleus.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.