The Evil Banana

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2011, 11:39 AM
The Evil Banana
The Evil Banana

1) Place five gorillas in a cage.
2) Suspend a banana in the cage above a ladder.
3) When any gorilla attempts to use the ladder, wet all five gorillas with a firehose.
4)When gorillas no longer attempt to use the ladder, replace one gorilla.
5)Note that when the new gorilla attempts to use the ladder, the other gorillas will beat him up. The firehose is taken away.
6)Repeat step 4 until all original gorillas have been replaced.
7)Note that at this point, no gorillas use the ladder and none of them knows why.

There are two possible morals to this story (At least that I can think of so far) :

1)Many people will prevent you from getting a perfectly good banana even though nobody knows why and it is now perfectly safe to get the banana.
2)Many people will prevent you from getting a perfectly good banana for a very good reason, although nobody knows what that reason is.

Just throwing this out there to see what others think.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2011, 11:46 AM
RE: The Evil Banana
Religious belief is based on fear and conditioning?

Sounds about right.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Stark, I'm wondering what an ape ever did to you?

*grabs chimpanzee and slowly backs out of thread*
Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Well, I intended this to be a thread about conditioning, so yes, your comment applies. But it wasn't meant as a theism/atheism thing, so other than that, what are your thoughts?

ie. can this type of conditioning be positive? What aspects of this conditioning could have a negative impact on us in a cultural/environmental/sociological/ecinomical/whateverical way?

13-05-2011, 11:52 AM
LOL, GK, you're a nut!

13-05-2011, 12:11 PM
This type of conditioning was performed on a child, Little Albert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Albert_experiment). He was exposed to a rabbit and every time he was exposed to the rabbit the experimenter clashed a pair of symbols right behind him. Eventually he became scared just at the sight of bunny and led to lifelong phobias of all things fluffy. Obviously this is an extreme case but conditioning can have long-term ramifications, whether positive or negative. Obviously a positive response to conditioning is a sense of accomplishment for good grades or completing an assigned task due to rewarding when younger.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Cymbals. Sorry. Pedantic.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bezo's post
13-05-2011, 12:28 PM
(13-05-2011 12:22 PM)Bezo Wrote:  Cymbals. Sorry. Pedantic.

Wow...I did not catch that. Perhaps there was another study where someone held up symbols (like the all seeing eye or an ankh) to scare the kid as well...or I may just be an idiot! Smile I should really proof what I write.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Just to be clear, this may be of interest. (There is no evidence that there was a lifelong fear of all things fuzzy, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Albert_experiment

13-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Evil banana
[Image: flasher-fruit-765.jpg]

Back on topic...
I've read about baby Albert a few times now and every time the details change...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.