The Evil Lunacy of Calvinism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 06:18 PM by Mr Woof.)
The Evil Lunacy of Calvinism.
I must say that month upon month of Calvinist crap is starting to get on my nerves.

If Christianity is to be debated in terms of any spiritual advantages then Calvinism must surely be the worst example available.

As a rough generalization Christianity, minus Heaven and eternal Hell fire, is not without any redeeming features; a book of such length hardly could be !
Essentially Christianity posits a perfectly good and loving god who is all knowing, all powerfull ,and ever present. By turning to the less obnoxious alleged teachings of God some people believe that they obtain a spiritual boost of sorts; they may involve themselves in Church charitable works, reflect more on life's meaning, and sensibly extend their boundaries while remaining well within a sensible secular domain. Most of us have little or no problem with this.

A book, largely history, as long as the Bible serving as a director of moral behaviour will neccessarily be filled with ambiguities, contradictions, stupidity, dogmas, unfounded fears, confusion, language mis interpretations, myth, fantasy and a whole host of unfounded convictions. The "rightness" of these diverse dogmas are quite often attributed to the works of the holy spirit, who, if one chooses to be unkind, seems quite schizoid.

Surely one of the worst theologies must be Calvinism, based on its acute lack of basic logic, given God's previosly mentioned alleged attributes, one of which is perfect fairness, and its intolerance towards human nature.

Calvinism holds that mankind is locked into acute natural occurring sin which removes him/her completely from god. The nature of this sin is never explained; we simply have to guess what the God Domain is actually all about ,and where God's bona fides lie. Man cannot overcome his sinfull nature, by attitude, effort, experience, change of heart, tuition, jail, medication, mentoring....you name it.
Man can only be 'saved' by a capricious choice made by God, in other words he is hopelessly lost in natural sin that is totally remote from Godly virtue.

All Christian benefits, in the mild sense previously indicated, become mere window dressing, as God's fait accompli is immune to human pleas as his manufacturing process runs and rules with rampant rage. The issue of, so called Atonement, Jesus' sacfifice on the cross for sinners is simply tacked on (quite ridiculously by Calvanists)
as being neccessary for those who have already been designated as saved anyhow.

To any genuine person with mild aspirations towards leraning a little about what they may perceive as some goodness inherent in Christianity, for Christ's sake keep away from Calvinism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Mr Woof's post
02-03-2012, 06:27 PM
RE: The Evil Lunacy of Calvinism.
(02-03-2012 05:11 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  All Christian benefits, in the mild sense previously indicated become mere window dressing, ...

Nihilism gift-wrapped in a pretty little box with fancy ribbons and bows.

(02-03-2012 05:11 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I must say that month upon month of Calvinist crap is starting to get on my nerves.

That's probably why it doesn't bother me as much as some of the more aggressive metaphysical delusions. I already know there's nothing in the box so there's no reason to unwrap it. But I can admire their fancy wrapping job.

(02-03-2012 05:11 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  To any genuine person with mild aspirations towards leraning a little about what they may perceive as some goodness inherent in Christianity, ...

I think too few atheists look to do this. I just ignore the metaphysical delusions and see if there's anything practical I can apply when looking at a religion. I mean, it ain't like there's any risk of me being converted.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Hey G.M I am glad that you agree that Christianity might serve (minus all the junk) as a medium for creative social interaction and a bit of charity.

Also you allude to worse lunacy than Calvinism. True, but the puppet victims of their despotic, illusionary god are sad victims indeed........Confused
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
02-03-2012, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 10:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-03-2012 08:31 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Hey G.M I am glad that you agree that Christianity might serve (minus all the junk) as a medium for creative social interaction and a bit of charity.

I mean, who's gonna argue with "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets." - Matthew 7:12 (KJV)? Sounds right to me.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Calvinism can't be all that bad. It gave us:

[Image: Calvin---Hobbes-calvin--26-hobbes-254155_1024_768.jpg]

But then sadly it gave us the first one in this duo. Confused

[Image: johncalvinthomashobbes.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
It's really pretty simple and logical, actually.

All powerful God that is all powerful = Calvinism
All powerful God that is subservient to freewill = Arminism

Calvinists believe that God creates the desires to do good inside a person.
Arminians believe that they do good by themselves to please God.

Calvinism exalts the power of God and diminishes the power of humans.
Arminism exalts the power humans and diminishes the power of God.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-03-2012, 11:58 PM
(02-03-2012 11:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's really pretty simple and logical, actually.

All powerful God that is all powerful = Calvinism
All powerful God that is subservient to freewill = Arminism

Calvinists believe that God creates the desires to do good inside a person.
Arminians believe that they do good by themselves to please God.

Calvinism exalts the power of God and diminishes the power of humans.
Arminism exalts the power humans and diminishes the power of God.

What you say is simple and logical is a gross distortion of the general thrust of what you are attempting to convey in actuality, which is God as an unjustified and evil puppeteer.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
03-03-2012, 12:11 AM
(02-03-2012 11:58 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  What you say is simple and logical is a gross distortion of the general thrust of what you are attempting to convey in actuality, which is God as an unjustified and evil puppeteer.

But, you just created a paradox. If God is all powerful and all knowing, then His "puppeteering" goes beyond finite human knowledge. If God is perfect, then His plan is perfect; regardless if we view it as unjustified or evil. God's standards and knowledge will always be greater than ours... if not, then God isn't all powerful.

You see, you are creating a standard for God and holding Him to it. God cannot be held to any human standard.

Again, all of this is under the assumption that God is omnipotent and omniscient.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-03-2012, 12:22 AM
(03-03-2012 12:11 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 11:58 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  What you say is simple and logical is a gross distortion of the general thrust of what you are attempting to convey in actuality, which is God as an unjustified and evil puppeteer.

But, you just created a paradox. If God is all powerful and all knowing, then His "puppeteering" goes beyond finite human knowledge. If God is perfect, then His plan is perfect; regardless if we view it as unjustified or evil. God's standards and knowledge will always be greater than ours... if not, then God isn't all powerful.

You see, you are creating a standard for God and holding Him to it. God cannot be held to any human standard.

Again, all of this is under the assumption that God is omnipotent and omniscient.

Nor can he equate to any ineffable standard; there are no cosmic parameters, hence no perfect god. Have a good nights rest,you'll feel fresher in the morning.....Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
03-03-2012, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 12:30 AM by GirlyMan.)
(02-03-2012 11:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Calvinists believe that God creates the desires to do good inside a person.

Girly does the right thing because it's the right thing to do. I don't need no fucking overseer.

[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post