The Evolution Of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
The Evolution Of God
I read this wonderful book and I have got to say, I recommend it to all of you!

This book starts off explaining prehistoric religions and then explains how religion evolved and shows the first spawns of monolatry and monotheism in the ancient world (I learned that Marduk and Aten beat Yahweh to the monotheism by hundreds of years) and continues (using the multiple author hypothesis) to describe the evolution of Judaism. This is followed by the description of "historical Jesus" versus "biblical Jesus" and a critical look at the gospels. Also during the Christian section of the book (this book has five distinct sections) it details Paul in particular, and I found a new respect for him as a genius. In the next section Muhammad is the main character and he shows himself to be one of the most impressive figures in history.

This book is a MUST read for everyone. No I am not going to use a qualifier like "who is interested in history" because it is far too valuable in information to fall into just that.

If anybody who has read this book wants to add something, please do!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2011, 07:22 PM
RE: The Evolution Of God
(03-07-2011 06:33 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  I read this wonderful book and I have got to say, I recommend it to all of you! ... This book is a MUST read for everyone. No I am not going to use a qualifier like "who is interested in history" because it is far too valuable in information to fall into just that.

Quit spoogiin' all over yourself. Keep it to a room.

"The reality of external objects does not admit of strict proof. On the contrary, however, the reality of the object of our internal sense (of myself and state) is clear immediately through consciousness." - Kant
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Haha sorry, I tried but my room exploded xD
03-07-2011, 08:02 PM
(03-07-2011 07:31 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  Haha sorry, I tried but my room exploded xD

Get a bigger room.

"The reality of external objects does not admit of strict proof. On the contrary, however, the reality of the object of our internal sense (of myself and state) is clear immediately through consciousness." - Kant
03-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I tried the library... I owe a pretty hefty fine now. But there is nothing in the law about destroying a building by splooge so I am taking it to court!
05-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Author?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
06-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Robert Wright
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
mmm
two things,
1-i found a copy in my local bookstore, and it was just beside "the evolotion of goku's power" LOL goku ftw
2-the book accepts implicitly the existence of a historical jesus, where there is no proof of that, so i lost all confidence in the content of the book.
[+] 1 user Likes iluvatar77's post
19-02-2012, 12:44 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2012 12:54 AM by Grassy Knoll.)
(03-02-2012 09:58 AM)iluvatar77 Wrote:  the book accepts implicitly the existence of a historical jesus, where there is no proof of that, so i lost all confidence in the content of the book.

Don't throw the baby Jesus out with the holy bath water....? I think what is in this book is not about what is "truth" but about how and what concepts of belief have evolved from as far back as any belief has ever existed. The book is basically about problems of the human condition in society and how religious incantations were created or formed over time to deal with such problems. A passage from the first chapter:
Quote:The Chukchee, a people indigenous to Siberia, had their own special way of dealing with unruly winds. A Chukchee man would chant, “Western Wind, look here! Look down on my buttocks. We are going to give you some fat. Cease blowing!” The nineteenth-century European visitor who reported this ritual described it as follows: “The man pronouncing the incantation lets his breeches fall down, and bucks leeward, exposing his bare buttocks to the wind. At every word he claps his hands.”
( http://www.evolutionofgod.net/excerpts_chapter1/ )

There are a lot of interesting ways of looking at ritualistic ceremonies or mystical enchantments other than asking are they true or not? The author of this books tries to examine why existential ideas occurred throughout the world independent of others and how some current beliefs have morphed from an opposite original intent into a modern day meaning. I read the book thinking "this guy must be an atheist" but towards the end he reveals otherwise. He seems to suggest that his idea of "god" is more of a necessary concept of the human condition involving "moral order". I think he admits it's a flawed idea and how a lot of atheists disagree with him but I suspect he thinks this "god", or concept thereof, hasn't yet fully evolved until it becomes something universal in all societies (WTF? ...I know).

Then he points to flaws in science to downplay his own weird concepts which I whole heartily disagreed with. I think the best analogy to some of his ideas would be like saying the world wide web is an evolved brain for the Earth as a "planetary life form". That would be kind of like him saying humans are the spiritual cohesion of a "god being". Overall the history of religious ideas is very interesting and the gist that I got out of this book is it's not the belief that is important but the why of the belief that is important. But that's kinda like asking why did religiously devout Muslims crash planes into the WTC ain't it? Is it important or simply trivial? I found myself asking this question; "What is more important, my perception of truth or the truth of my perception?" I'll take truth over philosophy any day of the week. Cool

I would recommend this book to my religious friends but prolly not my atheist buddies. I guess this would be an appropriate place to plug a video on bobbysbrane.com (see attached)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Ɨ͚͙͢͟͠Ŧ̯͔̳̺̬̣̻ͅ ͖̬̰͖̺Ŧ̭̻̲̳̝̦̗Ⱥ̹̩͚͘͠͡Ꝁ̷͖̲͓̖͍̺̻Ɇ̧͈̟̞S̨̢̟̥̮­͇͈͓͉͉̣ ̶̵̪̜̪̰͕̙̱̜Ⱥ̧̝͉̕Ł̰̤̲͠Ø̨̡̯͍͙̩̭̦̦͔͔͟Ŧ̵̠̣̬̝ͅ­̬͓͚ ̮͍͙Ŧ̷͍͖̳̺͕̲̬͚͜ͅØ̷̷̳̗̠̻ ̻̪M͉̠͟Ⱥ͏̫̳̣Ꝁ̶̷̜̪͈̪Ɇ̧̦̳̻̘͙̗͉̠ ̨̯͉͙͚̫͓̜̗̗͝͝Ⱥ̡͎̳̤͚ ̴̰̥̩͎̜̣̗̕ͅS̢͈Ŧ͕͉͓͚͔Ɇ͕̙͉̫͓͉͈̖͞ͅW҉̗̖̟̳́ ̢͕̲̰͔́͞
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user