The Execution Tapes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2013 06:29 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
Video The Execution Tapes
This one's pretty dark, concerning the use of capital punishment in the United States. But it's the only live recordings we have of actual executions taking place in the US. These tapes were obtained, under subponea, from the Georgia Department of Corrections and were used as evidence in a court case concerning the constitutionality of the electric chair. They are audio recordings of some 22 electrocutions which took place at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson, GA during the 1980s and 1990s, when electrocution was the official method of execution for GA.

It appears that the tapes were produced purely for legal and bureaucratic reasons; the state simply wanted to document everything that happened as a kind of CYA to avoid abuse or legal fallout. They are a curtainless document, revealing to the public exactly how their tax dollars are spend dispatching justice. It reveals Georgia state officials snuffing out the life of a human being with the precision of a NASA moonshot.

It used to be, one could witness public executions. And often it was very popular; the term 'gala' is supposed to be derived from the word 'gallows'. People would make a day outing of it, traveling to the town square, eat a picnic lunch, then watch a man die from the end of a rope. The last public execution was in Owensboro, KY in 1936. A rapist named Rainey Bethea was hanged, drawing a crown of some 20,000 spectators. These days executions are done in secret, in the dead of night, deep in the belly of a supermax prison somewhere. Only a dozen or so people witness them and no one is allowed to bring cameras, cell phones, or other recording devices to the proceedings. This may be the only opportunity the public has to hear or view what happens when the state exacts the ultimate punishment.

What will strike a lot of people when hearing these is how clinical and detached the tapes sound. People have an idea of what electric chair executions look like from movies like The Green Mile, but these tapes bear little resemblance to Hollywood. Here, it timing and securing straps to the condemned, applying the jolts of electricity, then sterily waiting for the body to cool to check for vital signs.

No matter your take on the death penalty, all we can say for sure here is, this is how it really happened.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-06-2013, 02:02 PM
RE: The Execution Tapes
I've always been opposed to capital punishment, and while that has no bearing here I think, I found this video very fascinating. Thanks for sharing, very chilling but a look into a process I knew very little about outside of the movies.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
30-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Re: The Execution Tapes
I've heard heresay that the injection method is really expensive to the tax payer. Utah still has "firing squads", even with the crazy price of ammo right, why not do that?
02-07-2013, 06:56 AM
As far as consumables go, the electric chair requires about 30 or so cents of electricity to execute someone, depending on local utility rates. Lethal gas, about $200 for the chemicals, firing squad, about $10 for 4 30-30 rifle cartridges plus a blank, Lethal Injection, about $600 or so for the pharmaceuticals used, hanging, whatever the cost of a length of 1" thick hemp rope is.

But all that is insignificant next to the cost to incarcerate a death row inmate and handle the legal appeals. California spent approximately $250 MILLION USD to house, pursue, and defend a condemned prisoner per execution they've done, and conservative estimates suggest it will cost over $4 BILLION USD to execute all 690 or so condemned men on San Quentin's death row, as we will soon see in Stop the Welfare State, Vol. IV.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
02-07-2013, 07:02 AM
e-thay eason-ray its-ay o-say expensive-ay o-tay ill-kay omeone-say is-ay ecause-bay ey-thay ave-hay o-tay e-bay ertain-cay on-ay a-ay uch-may igher-hay evel-lay en-thay if-ay ey-thay ot-gay ife-lay in-ay rison-pay.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-07-2013, 07:39 AM
(30-06-2013 10:11 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  I've heard heresay that the injection method is really expensive to the tax payer. Utah still has "firing squads", even with the crazy price of ammo right, why not do that?

Did you mean "hearsay" or "heresy"? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
that first one!
03-07-2013, 05:08 PM
I go with the First Men way here, the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]