The FDA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 08:03 PM
The FDA
So what's everyone's opinion on the FDA. Food and Drug Administration for those outside of the US. In comparison to other countries overseers of food and drugs how would you rate the FDA? How are drugs approved in the country you live in?

Some people say the FDA is too lenient, approving drugs too soon before the side effects are known , others say they lag behind and aren't approving drugs that would save lives.

Should food and drugs be lumped in the same administration?

Discuss. Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2016, 08:12 PM
RE: The FDA
I don't mind them being lumped together, makes sense, consumable oversight. I don't have any idea whether they are doing a good job or not. To be honest I've never paid them any attention unless there's a recall. IDK

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
18-05-2016, 09:13 PM
I am addicted to flaming hot Cheetos so yes Tongue they should be paired together.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
18-05-2016, 09:59 PM
(18-05-2016 08:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So what's everyone's opinion on the FDA. Food and Drug Administration for those outside of the US. In comparison to other countries overseers of food and drugs how would you rate the FDA? How are drugs approved in the country you live in?

Some people say the FDA is too lenient, approving drugs too soon before the side effects are known , others say they lag behind and aren't approving drugs that would save lives.

I think what they are doing is fine. However like all government offices, it does have it's problems. Most people have no idea the incredible number of steps and data required for approval. To those who say things are approved before all side effects are known have no idea what idiosynchratic toxicity is. To those who don't think that drugs are not being approved fast enough, I would say that safety is paramount.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
19-05-2016, 08:29 AM
(18-05-2016 09:59 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 08:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So what's everyone's opinion on the FDA. Food and Drug Administration for those outside of the US. In comparison to other countries overseers of food and drugs how would you rate the FDA? How are drugs approved in the country you live in?

I think what they are doing is fine. However like all government offices, it does have it's problems. Most people have no idea the incredible number of steps and data required for approval. To those who say things are approved before all side effects are known have no idea what idiosynchratic toxicity is. To those who don't think that drugs are not being approved fast enough, I would say that safety is paramount.

I'm constantly coming across people on the internet slamming the FDA like it's the antichrist. Most of what I read are people who accuse the FDA as having "Big Pharma" in their back pocket...or is it Big Pharma having the FDA in their back pocket. I can't remember which. Anyway, there's a lot of hate out there directed at the FDA.

19-05-2016, 08:37 AM
I'm not so certain the agency itself is problematic as just some laws in effect that alter what the nation can do in regards to some types of drugs.

I know I've heard for years now, oh the FDA is going to change nutrition labels on food to be far better reflective and informative to people... waiting on that still. I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of that is halted by congress acts though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-05-2016, 08:47 AM
(19-05-2016 08:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'm not so certain the agency itself is problematic as just some laws in effect that alter what the nation can do in regards to some types of drugs.

I know I've heard for years now, oh the FDA is going to change nutrition labels on food to be far better reflective and informative to people... waiting on that still. I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of that is halted by congress acts though.

Do other countries have a similar agency which combines food and nutrition along with drugs? Sometimes I wonder if food/nutrition should be a separate agency. There's so many drugs to keep track of and then adding food/nutrition to the mix seems to me like a whole shit load of stuff to take on.

19-05-2016, 08:56 AM
(19-05-2016 08:47 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 08:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'm not so certain the agency itself is problematic as just some laws in effect that alter what the nation can do in regards to some types of drugs.

Do other countries have a similar agency which combines food and nutrition along with drugs? Sometimes I wonder if food/nutrition should be a separate agency. There's so many drugs to keep track of and then adding food/nutrition to the mix seems to me like a whole shit load of stuff to take on.

I'm sure they have actual different departments despite being 1 agency. If it really was split I'm not sure how much cost/workload/trust benefit in the companies you gain or lose.

Though the EU does have two separate agencies one for food EFSA and drugs EMA.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-05-2016, 12:33 PM
(19-05-2016 08:29 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 09:59 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I think what they are doing is fine. However like all government offices, it does have it's problems. Most people have no idea the incredible number of steps and data required for approval. To those who say things are approved before all side effects are known have no idea what idiosynchratic toxicity is. To those who don't think that drugs are not being approved fast enough, I would say that safety is paramount.

I'm constantly coming across people on the internet slamming the FDA like it's the antichrist. Most of what I read are people who accuse the FDA as having "Big Pharma" in their back pocket...or is it Big Pharma having the FDA in their back pocket. I can't remember which. Anyway, there's a lot of hate out there directed at the FDA.

They are high. Having worked in Big Pharma and known people in clinical, they FDA has the largest stick up their asses when it comes to safety and procedure. I knew a person who worked in IT for something in phase II and the IT department wanted to change out the server hardware so the clinicians could process data much faster. The FDA blocked them from changing computer chips or the entire study had to be rerun. That is like a math teacher making you retake a test because you used a different calculator. The public seems to have the impression that approval is easy. Hell no it isn't. Each project makes thousands of compounds to try to find one and if there are any warts with it, depending on the condition targeted, all of these compounds are worthless at the loss of millions. That is ignoring side effects that are not compound related but instead mechanism related. One only needs to know the story of kinase inhibitors to see how nasty drug development can be.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac