The Fabric of the Cosmos: Is It A Multiverse?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Video The Fabric of the Cosmos: Is It A Multiverse?
Another great NOVA program adapted from the book by professor Brian Greene on the subject of the very nature of the Universe and a tentative connection between the theories of Dark Matter, String Theory and a Multiverse.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
03-07-2013, 03:59 PM
RE: The Fabric of the Cosmos: Is It A Multiverse?
(03-07-2013 11:49 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Another great NOVA program adapted from the book by professor Brian Greene on the subject of the very nature of the Universe and a tentative connection between the theories of Dark Matter, String Theory and a Multiverse.

It all comes down to the interpretation of quantum mechanics. Girly ain't no physicist so I ain't qualified to come down on anywhich side, but whatever it is, it sure is fucking bizarre and fascinating. Big Grin

[Image: quantuminterpretations.png]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-07-2013, 04:09 PM
All I know is, every single time humans have assumed they know either the upper limit or the lower limit to reality, they have been wrong.
There is no reason we should think we are any different.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
The only theory I'm interested is the one that can provide the means to space travel (in any form or shape). Any other is just stupid and I don't want to hear it Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
03-07-2013, 05:11 PM
(03-07-2013 03:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It all comes down to the interpretation of quantum mechanics. Girly ain't no physicist so I ain't qualified to come down on anywhich side, but whatever it is, it sure is fucking bizarre and fascinating. Big Grin

Weeeelll....

There's a difference between the 'multiverse' posited by brane theory, and the 'multiverse' posited by a many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. It might be both! (or neither!)
03-07-2013, 05:12 PM
(03-07-2013 04:30 PM)nach_in Wrote:  The only theory I'm interested is the one that can provide the means to space travel (in any form or shape). Any other is just stupid and I don't want to hear it Sad

Yeah, but until we invent that space travel, we won't know which of our theories are the necessary precursors to it.

So, clearly we should keep studying everything.
03-07-2013, 05:22 PM
(03-07-2013 05:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 04:30 PM)nach_in Wrote:  The only theory I'm interested is the one that can provide the means to space travel (in any form or shape). Any other is just stupid and I don't want to hear it Sad

Yeah, but until we invent that space travel, we won't know which of our theories are the necessary precursors to it.

So, clearly we should keep studying everything.

NO! we're wasting money and resources on war, drugs, medical research, schools and stuff like that, we should focus every human effort on making that happen... everything else is secondary!! Hobo

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
03-07-2013, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 08:06 AM by Luminon.)
Some patience please, I am compiling some of my thoughts on the topic and some sources you will hopefully never find out and some intuition (don't worry, no Bible) but no science, so feel free to ignore it. And I'm sleepy anyway. But nonetheless. The topic is still short and the life is short as well to hold things back.
I apologize in advance to Chas for not being scientific here. Being philosophic is the best I can do.

Every time a formula would suggest that there occur infinite values, the nature itself whittles them down to a mere spike of energy. (such as in EM induction)

So I really doubt there is an infinite multitude of universes, specially not one arising every moment a wave function collapses. That's just... wasteful.
However, I certainly do believe in multiple universes. I see parallels between space, time, matter and energy that suggest these are all somehow connected. A different amount of energy in matter leads to different space-time curvature...

Maybe a different form of matter treats the time differently by default. Maybe the particle that seems to act as a wave is not a wave. It merely ascended an energetic level upwards into another universe (which is distinguished mainly by its sum of matter of exotic configuration) and may descend into our universe in any way we make it descend, making it appear like a wave while it's at least partially up there. Which suggests that our universe is the recipient of another universe's particles, energy and stuff - and it can go both ways. Which suggests that the history of time and matter as we know it is a result of processes occurring in higher universes, only getting gradually manifested in our universe, as much as it can accommodate the events. Things like coincidence and synchronicities would be rather just effects on open systems than genuine randomness.

I know it points towards (not infinite regression hopefully, but) a central reality of some kind, but such a reality would not have any distinction in tems of space and time, energy or matter, both would relatively vanish like motion vanishes in a center of a spinning wheel. If so, the space and time as we know them are "artificial" and temporary just as much as the matter and energy of the universe. Thinking otherwise would mean seeing the universe as a sum of some matter within a natural, permanent, infinite environment distinct from the matter, which is not a sure thing at all. IOW, we have to keep from marking any aspect of the universe as the absolute against which all else is measured. There is nothing absolute, nothing constant, not in this universe. Not even the "gravity constant", if Rupert Sheldrake's account of metrology adventures are to be believed. This universe is just a tent temporarily built on top of somewhat more permanent shack of a universe.