The Fabric of the Cosmos : What is Space?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2012, 01:44 PM
The Fabric of the Cosmos : What is Space?
This was a great doc. Just got finished watching it. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to describe the way objects create gravitational fields in space time. Right around 17 or 18 min in they do a great job of it with a pool table.

Watch this. It's worth the hour.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2012, 01:55 PM
RE: The Fabric of the Cosmos : What is Space?
Getting started on this one.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-12-2012, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 08:31 PM by germanyt.)
TTA

[Image: nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif]

Did no one watch it?

-Mark Twain
02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I would have if I could access it Sad

Can you post the URL? It's a bitch having only a phone for web access...

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...D5tBIqJU4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...FWMkOJxqq8

-Mark Twain
02-12-2012, 10:08 PM
(02-12-2012 08:27 PM)germanyt Wrote:  TTA
Did no one watch it?

Just finished.

The first one has been posted before (a few times) but the second was new to me.

Thank you.

I still think the answer lies in a misinterpretation of the concept of time.

I have been musing over this thought...

A particle is measured in three dimensions but a wave is measured in four dimensions.

I'm thinking that at the start of the universe, there was no space but there were infinite time options (our time scale and many faster and slower ones too).

The small particle can exist in many time scales but when we measure it, we set the 'now' on all time scales so we think we are seeing different locations in space but really we are seeing different locations in time.

This has been bugging me for a couple of months already and I have got no further than the initial thought.

Damn you god!

I had a go at explaining it here --> http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid208154

Greater minds than I (everyone here, I guess) could probably tear this apart in a few seconds. I am looking forward to it cos it would help me understand.

02-12-2012, 11:12 PM
I enjoyed the second video a lot. Enigma's... how I love/hate them! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
02-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Most of us have seen them long ago. They're in the "Elegant nature" thread, and were on TV a long time ago.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

03-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Hey, DLJ.

I'd be happy to tear your theory apart if I understood it.

Who misrepresents the concept of time?

What's a time option and why are you suggesting that time is somehow independent from space-time?

What's a time scale?

Could you, in a positive statement, explain your theory?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
03-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Ghost,
I'm not claiming this as a theory. That's too grand a notion. It was just a thought.

I got to thinking about the four observable dimensions of spacerime and was looking at a diagram that imposed a scale on each (a human construct).

Then I thought about dark matter and that it contains the majority of mass of the universe and wondered why it was not visible.

Then I thought, all stuff that is visible is visible to us 'now' but if we existed in a faster or slower scale of time (I know this is the dodgy bit) we would not see anything that existed in this time-universe but we would see stuff in the other universe's now.

I know it's a bit weird.