The Fabric of the Cosmos : What is Space?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2012, 12:26 AM
RE: The Fabric of the Cosmos : What is Space?
Hey, DLJ.

There's two other episodes. Give em a watch. It might clear things up for you.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Ghost,
I doubt it.
I bought the 'Fabric' book about a year ago.
I got as far as stuff about spinning buckets and Relativity but I struggled.

I saw the episode about Time when Bucky (I think) posted it a while ago but it didn't answer the questions I have now.

03-12-2012, 04:36 AM
I like the QM episode.
If it's possible for a particle to "borrow" energy from the future, then why not universes ?
We only see a tiny fraction of a tiny slice of reality, both large and small.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
03-12-2012, 04:45 AM
(03-12-2012 04:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I like the QM episode.
If it's possible for a particle to "borrow" energy from the future, then why not universes ?

Does that mean you are agreeing with me?

Shocking

03-12-2012, 05:27 AM
(03-12-2012 04:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 04:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I like the QM episode.

Does that mean you are agreeing with me?

Shocking

I would say at this point, we know so little, anything is possible. So, you could be right.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Just watched the first video.
Now I'm brimming with thoughts.

BRACE YOURSELF FOR CRAZY

The biggest being this fabric thing. I know you hear about it all the time, it's how scientist describe gravity (that earth effectively sinks into this fabric).
I think it's all well and good for describing things like why the moon orbits the earth etc.. but I don't see how it effects things that are on earth. Like maybe things sitting on the top, but what about things on the bottom?
For the model of the earth sinking into fabric to be right I think it has to look different. You have to look at it in a 3d way not the 2d way it's shown. Like, you need to think of it as an ocean, not a fabric.
The problem is though that it sort of has to be 360.. ehhh it's really hard to explain.
Ah, never-mind google to the rescue.

So this is what we are fed:
[Image: nasa_gpb_news.jpg]

But I think this is a horrible way of showing it.
This is how it should be shown IMO:

[Image: 29805.jpg]

Well that solves that thought.
What was next?
Oh yes, I think the most likely.. ingredient of what this ocean actually is is probably the Higgs Boson.
This idea of the Higgs Field right.
So I think this then suggests that gravity.. well.. gravity doesn't exist.
Gravity is nothing. Explaining what gravity is is like explaining what time is, you can explain the effects but you can't explain actually what it is.

I say this because the Higgs interacts with matter, it sort of looks like it's.. drawn to it, but not in a gravity way more like a dirt on glue way (the higgs being dirt, matter being glue).
Because the higgs bosons then cluster around matter you get this distort effect (see second picture above) of the other higgs bosons sort of filling in the space.
Like if I take an empty bottle and put it under water, water is going to rush in and water is going to rush in to fill the spot of where that water was that is now in the bottle. Same thing.
And so then this distort effect of the higgs bosons filling the spot of the higgs bosons that are now attached to the matter is what we call "gravity". Thus gravity doesn't exists.

One can then look at the universe as walking through this higgs field.
As the higgs are attracted to matter and cluster towards it they are clustered the closer you get to the object.
So then as you are moving away from say earth in a rocket, it's hard to get from same the ground to outer space because you are moving through this field of resistance (that we call gravity). The higgs bosons are pushing you towards the earth and because there is so many at that point there is a lot more resistance.
Light can then travel freely without resistance through the Higgs field because it is photons which are for some reaosn not effected by the higgs bosons. The higgs bosons are not drawn to photons. (so light is the fastest speed one can travel).

just thinking

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-12-2012, 05:11 AM
(08-12-2012 03:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just watched the first video.

BRACE YOURSELF FOR CRAZY

The biggest being this fabric thing. I know you hear about it all the time, it's how scientist describe gravity (that earth effectively sinks into this fabric).
I think it's all well and good for describing things like why the moon orbits the earth etc.. but I don't see how it effects things that are on earth. Like maybe things sitting on the top, but what about things on the bottom?
For the model of the earth sinking into fabric to be right I think it has to look different. You have to look at it in a 3d way not the 2d way it's shown. Like, you need to think of it as an ocean, not a fabric.
The problem is though that it sort of has to be 360.. ehhh it's really hard to explain.

What was next?
Oh yes, I think the most likely.. ingredient of what this ocean actually is is probably the Higgs Boson.
Gravity is nothing. Explaining what gravity is is like explaining what time is, you can explain the effects but you can't explain actually what it is.

I say this because the Higgs interacts with matter, it sort of looks like it's.. drawn to it, but not in a gravity way more like a dirt on glue way (the higgs being dirt, matter being glue).
Because the higgs bosons then cluster around matter you get this distort effect (see second picture above) of the other higgs bosons sort of filling in the space.
Like if I take an empty bottle and put it under water, water is going to rush in and water is going to rush in to fill the spot of where that water was that is now in the bottle. Same thing.
And so then this distort effect of the higgs bosons filling the spot of the higgs bosons that are now attached to the matter is what we call "gravity". Thus gravity doesn't exists.

As the higgs are attracted to matter and cluster towards it they are clustered the closer you get to the object.
So then as you are moving away from say earth in a rocket, it's hard to get from same the ground to outer space because you are moving through this field of resistance (that we call gravity). The higgs bosons are pushing you towards the earth and because there is so many at that point there is a lot more resistance.
Light can then travel freely without resistance through the Higgs field because it is photons which are for some reaosn not effected by the higgs bosons. The higgs bosons are not drawn to photons. (so light is the fastest speed one can travel).

just thinking
Wait. I can't tell which direction heaven and hell are in when you do that.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Hey, earmuffs.

Nice crazy Cool

Yeah, gravity exists though.

Light IS affected by gravity by the way. It's trajectory can be affected and once it's inside the event horizon of a black hole, gravity will not allow it to escape. So there's no such thing as light traveling freely. It's pretty much always affected by gravity.

I too get confused by the 2D gravity model, but if memory serves, Greene uses the 3D model as well. Space-time is depicted as a cube with a grid.

The basic ingredient in gravity though is mass. Mass is what distorts space-time. Massive objects are attracted to each other. The Earth is attracted to every human being on the planet, it's just that the planet has more mass so the ratio is staggeringly in the favour of the planet.

As for the Higgs, I don't know enough about it to make a reasonable comment. That being said, gravity has enough supporting evidence for me to trust in its existence.

On the beyond my ken front, gravity is not very powerful. All you have to do to disrupt its influence is jump. But I remember seeing in a QM documentary that the belief is that it is vastly more powerful in the upper of the 11 dimensions. Don't ask me how that works, maaaaaan, I just work here Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
08-12-2012, 07:51 PM
(08-12-2012 03:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just watched the first video.

BRACE YOURSELF FOR CRAZY

What was next?

just thinking
I totally agree with your illustration. I think the first pic makes it easy to understand but the second is a more accurate representation.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
08-12-2012, 07:53 PM
delete

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Quantum Fields in Curved Space-Time zaybu 0 59 17-06-2014 06:04 AM
Last Post: zaybu
  Cosmos: TONIGHT Logisch 268 4,861 15-05-2014 07:18 PM
Last Post: nach_in
Star Com. Chris HADFIELD (and other ASTRONAUTS, COSMONAUTS and space tourists) LadyJane 21 770 03-04-2014 10:54 PM
Last Post: LadyJane
  The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution Bows and Arrows 163 2,001 29-03-2014 07:30 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Will cosmos solve America's Creationism problem Aleprauchanist 50 847 22-03-2014 10:52 PM
Last Post: Logisch
  Fox censors Cosmos? WillHopp 4 243 13-03-2014 09:45 PM
Last Post: evenheathen
Video Cosmos is coming with Neil Metazoa Zeke 5 206 15-02-2014 10:59 PM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl