The Fabric of the Cosmos : What is Space?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2012, 07:54 PM
RE: The Fabric of the Cosmos : What is Space?
delete

Ignore both posts. I'm a dummy.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 07:56 PM
(08-12-2012 07:54 PM)germanyt Wrote:  delete

Ignore both posts. I'm a dummy.
Don't be embarrassed we all make mistakes. I'd say I've made enough to be correct some of the time.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
10-12-2012, 09:50 PM
(08-12-2012 08:48 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, earmuffs.

Nice crazy Cool

Yeah, gravity exists though.

Light IS affected by gravity by the way. It's trajectory can be affected and once it's inside the event horizon of a black hole, gravity will not allow it to escape. So there's no such thing as light traveling freely. It's pretty much always affected by gravity.

I too get confused by the 2D gravity model, but if memory serves, Greene uses the 3D model as well. Space-time is depicted as a cube with a grid.

The basic ingredient in gravity though is mass. Mass is what distorts space-time. Massive objects are attracted to each other. The Earth is attracted to every human being on the planet, it's just that the planet has more mass so the ratio is staggeringly in the favour of the planet.

As for the Higgs, I don't know enough about it to make a reasonable comment. That being said, gravity has enough supporting evidence for me to trust in its existence.

On the beyond my ken front, gravity is not very powerful. All you have to do to disrupt its influence is jump. But I remember seeing in a QM documentary that the belief is that it is vastly more powerful in the upper of the 11 dimensions. Don't ask me how that works, maaaaaan, I just work here Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
I'm not really saying gravity doesn't exist, more that it doesn't exist in the way we think it does. (this is all my opinion of course, just thinking aloud)

Like when you think of gravity, what it is etc.. you think of like a giant magnet.

What I am saying is that gravity is not a force, it doesn't exist in the sense that it is a separate force.
I'm saying that it is the effect of the Higgs field acting on mass.

Hang on I'll draw up some pictures.

[Image: 25upkd3.jpg]

The red arrows represent the higgs field. (ignore the direction of arrows, not important).
So 13 arrows in all. Now assume each arrow is made up of 10 higgs bosons.

Now, each blue arrow represents the time it takes to pass through 10 higgs bosons (or 1 arrow).
So say it takes 10seconds to go from 1 arrow to the next.

So in the above picture it would take 130seconds to get from one side of the page to the other.

Okay, now adding a mass (the green circle):

[Image: 13zd4ie.jpg]

The higgs bosons are attracted to the mass in the field. As they get closer the higgs bosons compact up.
So think gas, liquid, solid. The first picture the arrows are big and so it's like a gas with the bosons spread further out.
As the bosons compact it becomes more dense.
Think water rushing through a pipe. There is a long pipe with a solid wall at the end. The water runs down the pipe until it stops at the brick wall in which it starts to build up, so at the solid brick wall end there (think like 45 degree angle) fills up there is more water at that end with still a slow steady stream at the other.

So with that, gravity is then a measure of how much the higgs bosons are compacted. The closer they are to an object the more compacted they are and so the stronger the gravity. Then as you leave the earth and go out into space they are more spread out and so it's easier to move.

Like for the second picture if the blue arrows still represent 10seconds you can see that you travel from one side to the other in the same amount of time, BUT you travel much shorter distance.
So while it takes 10seconds for each arrow you are traveling much faster in the first picture then you are in the second because you are covering less ground.

This is what I'm saying gravity is. Like when we travel from A to B we imagine that the distance is fixed and the variable is the speed at which we travel which then effects how fast we get there.
I'm saying the variable is distance, and that's gravity.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]