The Faith of Christopher Hitchens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2016, 06:16 PM
The Faith of Christopher Hitchens?
I just saw an interview with Larry Alex Taunton the writer of this new book about Christopher Hitchens. A christian/evangelic friend. Does anyone know anything about this book and its intention? The interview implied that during his last days the Hitch was, well, entertaining Christianity. Or maybe I misunderstood? This is not what he wrote in his book on Mortality or showed during his last speeches. Kinda pissed me off there was no other side to the interview? Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2016, 06:25 PM
RE: The Faith of Christopher Hitchens?
You probably either misunderstood or it was presented that way as a slanted article.

I can also assume it's probably told this way to sell books. Given what I know about him and from what was said immediately following his death, it's highly unlikely he entertained Christianity for anything other than shits and giggles.

Welcome to our community.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Here's a link to the only article I found

http://www.crossmap.com/blogs/the-faith-...chens-7374

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-04-2016, 06:33 PM
(11-04-2016 06:16 PM)HotPez Wrote:  I just saw an interview with Larry Alex Taunton the writer of this new book about Christopher Hitchens. A christian/evangelic friend. Does anyone know anything about this book and its intention? The interview implied that during his last days the Hitch was, well, entertaining Christianity. Or maybe I misunderstood? This is not what he wrote in his book on Mortality or showed during his last speeches. Kinda pissed me off there was no other side to the interview? Thoughts?

I think it's unfortunate that someone who claims to have been good friends with Hitch would then later after he is gone and unable to defend himself write a book that suggests in his lat months of life studied the Bible and entertained spirituality. I have no reason whatsoever after reading his books, watching his interviews and debates that he would've truly entertained the idea of Christianity as being in any way legitimate. He was so strongly anti-religion and atheist even if he thought perhaps there was a God he would've never believed in Yahweh or believed that Jesus Christ was his savior. I actually admire his bravery in his last months that he not only continued his work to fight religion but also to deny he was afraid of Hell or the idea of any afterlife, that life is it's own reward and he had lived it well.

I think his "friend" even said he had "rejected" God and yes he may have rejected the idea of the fictional Christian God but an atheist doesn't reject God or deny God we simply don't believe the claim of a God is credible and it lacks sufficient evidence. To say he "rejected" God is to claim he believed the God claim had merit and simply rejected it for moral, philosophical or scientific reasons but that's not the case. It's a shame what this man is trying to do to every atheist by trying to level the field with Hitch and make it seem like he was open to the spiritual possibilities of Christian beliefs, like we're all weak and need to repent like he did. I doubt he ever did such a thing and even if he did it doesn't mean we should too.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like SitaSky's post
11-04-2016, 07:02 PM
(11-04-2016 06:33 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(11-04-2016 06:16 PM)HotPez Wrote:  I just saw an interview with Larry Alex Taunton the writer of this new book about Christopher Hitchens. A christian/evangelic friend. Does anyone know anything about this book and its intention? The interview implied that during his last days the Hitch was, well, entertaining Christianity. Or maybe I misunderstood? This is not what he wrote in his book on Mortality or showed during his last speeches. Kinda pissed me off there was no other side to the interview? Thoughts?

I think it's unfortunate that someone who claims to have been good friends with Hitch would then later after he is gone and unable to defend himself write a book that suggests in his lat months of life studied the Bible and entertained spirituality. I have no reason whatsoever after reading his books, watching his interviews and debates that he would've truly entertained the idea of Christianity as being in any way legitimate. He was so strongly anti-religion and atheist even if he thought perhaps there was a God he would've never believed in Yahweh or believed that Jesus Christ was his savior. I actually admire his bravery in his last months that he not only continued his work to fight religion but also to deny he was afraid of Hell or the idea of any afterlife, that life is it's own reward and he had lived it well.

I think his "friend" even said he had "rejected" God and yes he may have rejected the idea of the fictional Christian God but an atheist doesn't reject God or deny God we simply don't believe the claim of a God is credible and it lacks sufficient evidence. To say he "rejected" God is to claim he believed the God claim had merit and simply rejected it for moral, philosophical or scientific reasons but that's not the case. It's a shame what this man is trying to do to every atheist by trying to level the field with Hitch and make it seem like he was open to the spiritual possibilities of Christian beliefs, like we're all weak and need to repent like he did. I doubt he ever did such a thing and even if he did it doesn't mean we should too.

I dunno. The writer is an apologist and was friends with Hitch...

I haven't read the book but from reviews I have gleaned, it doesn't sound like the guy is saying anything about a deathbed conversion. The book is about his perspective on knowing Hitch for as long he did.

11-04-2016, 07:06 PM
(11-04-2016 07:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I dunno. The writer is an apologist and was friends with Hitch...

I haven't read the book but from reviews I have gleaned, it doesn't sound like the guy is saying anything about a deathbed conversion. The book is about his perspective on knowing Hitch for as long he did.

I hope that is all it is, and I think it's cool they were friends and if he wants to talk about their times together it would be a good perspective but from what I read on Amazon it made it seem like it he was exposing his positive thoughts on religion and how he changed near the end. It's probably just bait to get Xians to read it and be like "In your face atheists!" but it's probably not about that at all.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
11-04-2016, 07:14 PM
(11-04-2016 07:06 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(11-04-2016 07:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I dunno. The writer is an apologist and was friends with Hitch...

I hope that is all it is, and I think it's cool they were friends and if he wants to talk about their times together it would be a good perspective but from what I read on Amazon it made it seem like it he was exposing his positive thoughts on religion and how he changed near the end. It's probably just bait to get Xians to read it and be like "In your face atheists!" but it's probably not about that at all.

If I found the book at a garage sale, I'd probably buy it. But I won't buy it from a book seller.

11-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Bwahahahahahaha.

So funny. Yeah, Darwin was an xian too as was Nietzsche and Voltaire, Sartre and Camus.

Having seen Hitchens' many interviews and read his works where he pours scorn on the very notion of xianity being anything resembling a moral life, or truth, is frankly, ludicrous and insulting to the memory of the man.

Welcome to TTA forum. Consider

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 9 users Like Banjo's post
11-04-2016, 07:58 PM
I may read it. I very much doubt the author has the capacity to be objective.
Hitchens was his friend, and he could not possibly be objective, writing about non-belief, in light of his other written *stuff*.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Hitchens' friends and family have already spoken about his passing. There was no deathbed conversion or any softening of his contempt for religion.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 12 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post