The Faith of Christopher Hitchens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2016, 09:12 PM
RE: The Faith of Christopher Hitchens?
I am interested to hear what Hitchens' other friends say.

I read the article moms linked to. Almost everyone it quoted was religious as was the article author. Definite slant.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2016, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2016 10:11 PM by DLJ.)
(11-04-2016 06:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
Given what I know about him and from what was said immediately following his death, it's highly unlikely he entertained Christianity for anything other than shits and giggles.

I think it much more likely that he entertained Satan with his intelligence, wit and wisdom over an eternal supply of Johnnie Walker Black ...

... "immediately following his death".

Tongue

An eternity of Hitch-hosted ... WhiskeyDebates!

Wouldn't that be heaven?

Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
11-04-2016, 10:13 PM
As his health was failing in that last year and several months he also went out to make plenty of comments in regards to this issue and the potential of people wanting to of course say such types of things because they ALWAYS do.

It's as if it means or meant anything but he was quite aware this type comment would come about and expressed his mental state and still lack of any care to take in some shift of thought for whatever alleged reason someone apparently would.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Even if he had, cancer fucks with people's minds. To draw any sort of conclusion from it would mean nothing other than that some poor sod had a rough time at the end.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Deathbed conversion reports are predatory, feasting on those who cannot answer back. Doesn't sound like this was a straight declaration as such, but the insinuation is still a slanted insult to a friend's memory, imo.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-04-2016, 11:47 PM
I concur, and it brings up the bile in my throat. Somebody out there knows the truth of it and I hope they come forward to clarify things a bit. I'm certainly not going to buy this book and see for myself.

Quote:I read the article moms linked to. Almost everyone it quoted was religious as was the article author. Definite slant.
That is what I got from it. I hope I'm wrong but it smells like typical lying and profiteering from Hitch's passing.
12-04-2016, 04:19 AM
What stuck with me was a remark about them walking on a park as Hitch read from the book of Psalms "...I walk through the valley of shadow and death..."
As you state, having read his books, including Mortality, and watched him attack religion, including a god who if existed was not worthy of worship, are opposite of this insinuation.
12-04-2016, 05:10 AM
(12-04-2016 04:19 AM)HotPez Wrote:  What stuck with me was a remark about them walking on a park as Hitch read from the book of Psalms "...I walk through the valley of shadow and death..."
As you state, having read his books, including Mortality, and watched him attack religion, including a god who if existed was not worthy of worship, are opposite of this insinuation.

As a literary expert and author, Hitchens expressed admiration for the writing and language of the King James bible. I remember a clip of him talking about how an understanding of the KJV was necessary for an appreciation of Shakespeare.

However he was not only an atheist, he was anti-theist. He was against the idea of a patriarchal god in general and christian/muslim gods in particular.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
12-04-2016, 05:13 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to find xians claiming a deathbed conversion of some kind. What I don't understand is why, if there is even a nugget of truth to any of these kinds of claims, they think that considering something out of fear or desperation would imply that there was any truth to it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
12-04-2016, 05:15 AM
I think that I, having faced death several times and having witnessed both the religious and non pass, I can say I never saw an atheist convert. The religious just held tighter to their delusion. Indeed, I watched some religious folk crying soon before their death. Never witnessed that with an atheist.

Christopher was too strong willed. This entire story is a blatant lie. Which is what xians are best at after all.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post