The Faith of Christopher Hitchens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2016, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 06:16 AM by Tomasia.)
RE: The Faith of Christopher Hitchens?
(11-04-2016 06:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You probably either misunderstood or it was presented that way as a slanted article.

I can also assume it's probably told this way to sell books. Given what I know about him and from what was said immediately following his death, it's highly unlikely he entertained Christianity for anything other than shits and giggles.

Welcome to our community.

Judging the book seems to have been endorsed by atheists like Michael Shermer, I really doubt it was suggestive of any sort of near death conversion, or Hitchens entertaining Christianity in a way that would have been entirely inauthentic to his well known public persona.

I'm more likely to be doubtful of the interpretations of the book on this point, than the book itself.

Here's Shermer's short review:

"If you really want to get to know someone intimately, go on a multi-day cross-country road trip, share fine food and expensive spirits, and have open and honest conversations about the most important issues in life. And then engage them in public debate before thousands of people on those very topics. In this engrossing narrative about his friendship with the atheist activist Christopher Hitchens, the evangelical Christian Larry Taunton shows us a side of the man very few of us knew. Apparent contradictions dissolve before Taunton’s penetrating insight into the psychology of man fiercely loyal to his friends and passionately devoted to leading a life of integrity. This book should be read by every atheist and theist passionate about the truth, and by anyone who really wants to understand Hitch, one of the greatest minds and literary geniuses of our time."

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/bike...y-taunton/

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2016, 08:48 AM
A "theist passionate about the truth" has to be a classic oxymoron.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
12-04-2016, 08:56 AM
(12-04-2016 08:48 AM)SYZ Wrote:  A "theist passionate about the truth" has to be a classic oxymoron.

I get that that was a fun dig at the delusional but I'm going to disagree.

Many theists have been and are passionate about the truth - y'know, Newton and stuff - but the problem is that they are looking in the wrong place and using the wrong methods to find it.

The passion is definitely there. Where? Follow the trails of blood and the aroma of burning heretics.

Dodgy

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
12-04-2016, 09:25 AM
(12-04-2016 08:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  the aroma of burning heretics.

Sweet savour unto the Lord.

Theists have a mental block, is all.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-04-2016, 07:48 AM
(11-04-2016 06:16 PM)HotPez Wrote:  I just saw an interview with Larry Alex Taunton the writer of this new book about Christopher Hitchens. A christian/evangelic friend. Does anyone know anything about this book and its intention? The interview implied that during his last days the Hitch was, well, entertaining Christianity. Or maybe I misunderstood? This is not what he wrote in his book on Mortality or showed during his last speeches. Kinda pissed me off there was no other side to the interview? Thoughts?

If it were true, that Christopher Hitchens converted on his deathbed, I don't see why this would be something to crow about. If out of fear and in the name of comfort someone professed to believe in God, this would not be a feather in the cap of theism but a demonstration of how irrational the new believer was. They can't rely on reason to make their case so they need fear of death or some other low and vulnerable point in a persons life to sell their fantasy, cartoon version of reality. It is pathetic. I'm not saying that Hitchens did convert but no doubt some do and this is what they consider a win?

If one of them approaches me on my death bed I'll tell them that just because I'm dying it does not make the proposition that God exists any less false or belief in it any more rational. It's false. period.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
13-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Holy fuck, same shit with the asshole who took advantage of Flew claiming he had a death bed conversion.

Sounds like another dishonest opportunist.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
13-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Those who were with Hitchens when he died made it clear that there was no such last minute plea of salvation. Furthermore, any speculation to the contrary should have been debunked when his widow, Carol Blue, made it clear in interviews that the subject of God was not even discussed leading up to his death. Among others, this same falsehood was said of Charles Darwin, Voltaire, David Hume, Thomas Paine, and Robert Ingersoll.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
13-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Why would a deathbed conversion be seen as some sort of a victory by some theists? I swear I just don't get why it's so important to believers that everyone believe the same...even if the 'belief' is bought on by fear while under the influence of meds (most likely) and possibly diminished mental acuity. Couldn't get the healthy, rational ones...might as well go for the weak and tired. There's a fucking jewel for your crowns. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
13-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the link.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
14-04-2016, 12:10 PM
I see that on the Hitchens link there is an add saying I can make big bucks working from home.
Things are a bit tight right now cause we are having our pool grouted so maybe I can make a bit extra this way. Anyone tried it?