The Faith of Christopher Hitchens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2016, 09:30 PM
RE: The Faith of Christopher Hitchens?
I just came from a launch party for the book. Mr. Taunton is an acquaintance of mine. I believe he's has given as honest of a perspective on Hitchens as he can. He doesn't claim conversion, but does claim Hitchens softened to evangelicals after getting to know a few.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2016, 04:27 AM
(19-04-2016 09:30 PM)chrissmorrow Wrote:  I just came from a launch party for the book. Mr. Taunton is an acquaintance of mine. I believe he's has given as honest of a perspective on Hitchens as he can. He doesn't claim conversion, but does claim Hitchens softened to evangelicals after getting to know a few.

Welcome to TTA.

In that case, your acquaintance might well have a fundamental misunderstanding of Hitch and perhaps polemicists / contrarians in general.

Hitch would have a soft spot for anybody who could articulately disagree with him. That's what he would have softened to ... not the ideas (evangelism) that they held.

Evangelism:
noun
the spreading of the Christian gospel by public preaching or personal witness.

see e.g. Black Death; Typhoid Mary.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
20-04-2016, 05:24 AM
The joke goes that a message was sent from the World War I trenches to headquarters by word of mouth from person to person. The message was 'Send reinforcements, we're going to advance'. The message received at headquarters was 'Send three and four pence, we're going to a dance'.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 2 users Like god has no twitter account's post
20-04-2016, 09:00 AM
(19-04-2016 09:30 PM)chrissmorrow Wrote:  I just came from a launch party for the book. Mr. Taunton is an acquaintance of mine. I believe he's has given as honest of a perspective on Hitchens as he can. He doesn't claim conversion, but does claim Hitchens softened to evangelicals after getting to know a few.
G'day, and welcome. Smile

Larry Alex Taunton is the executive director of the Fixed Point Foundation, a Christian organisation that seeks "innovative ways to defend and proclaim the Gospel". In his own words, Taunton considers atheism "historically naive and potentially dangerous". Oh dear!

He recently conducted interviews with college students who led their campus atheist groups and, while his research isn’t scientific in any way, he claims that he learned some very surprising things about why they became atheists. The results may be surprising to him, but certainly not to anyone who has given the subject any thought. In fact, Taunton provides us with no new insight.

Part of Fixed Point's prospectus says; "Our mission is to defend and proclaim the Gospel in the secular marketplace and equip others to do the same". This is nothing more than none-too-subtle proselytising at its worst.

One of the funniest [sic] things Taunton says is "Christianity, when it is taken seriously, compels its adherents to engage the world, not retreat from it... this means that Christians must be willing to listen to other perspectives while testing their own beliefs against them." These things, of course, never happen in the real world.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post