The Fashion Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2017, 12:14 PM
RE: The Fashion Thread
(13-09-2017 10:55 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Ok, fashion advice wanted ...

My daughter is back from London in a few days for a one-week shopping spree here in Canada to build up her professional wardrobe (yes, actually, because the prices are almost half what she would pay in Britain)
She works in "the City" and the company expects employees to dress well (like very professional, not too conservative but very polished)
So I've been scouting out our favourite boutiques and stores.

I'm seeing a couple of alarming trends for fall: capri-length, wide-legged trousers worn with heels and one-piece pantsuits Hobo
Another trend that I'm not crazy about and that I don't think will look great on her is the longish, deconstructed blazer (no collar, almost Mandarin sleeves, looks like a weird oversized sweater).

Now my daughter is a gorgeous girl, but she is (relatively) long-waisted and short-legged (i.e. she has normal proportions), and she is not a fan of wearing heels to work.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

I'm shorter and I tend to never get capri styles anymore, as well as the wide leg. They don't balance by body shape well, I end up looking like a ball. Esp since my chest is a bit more. The bell bottoms are back and I haven't jumped on board quite yet, but at least there is more shape there.

I don't mind a mandarin sleeve if it's subtle.

In a professional setting I'd go with trendy styles that I typically dress and add a blazer or something, and accessories always polish the look, with a nice shoe. Outside of local boutique shopping, many Canadian chains have a business section with fun and appropriate stuff.

Hope you guys have fun!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
13-09-2017, 12:22 PM

My daughter is back from London in a few days for a one-week shopping spree here in Canada to build up her professional wardrobe (yes, actually, because the prices are almost half what she would pay in Britain)
She works in "the City" and the company expects employees to dress well (like very professional, not too conservative but very polished)

I'm seeing a couple of alarming trends for fall: capri-length, wide-legged trousers worn with heels and one-piece pantsuits Hobo
Another trend that I'm not crazy about and that I don't think will look great on her is the longish, deconstructed blazer (no collar, almost Mandarin sleeves, looks like a weird oversized sweater).

Now my daughter is a gorgeous girl, but she is (relatively) long-waisted and short-legged (i.e. she has normal proportions), and she is not a fan of wearing heels to work.

I've seen few people over the age of ten who can pull off the capri cut. I refuse to wear it and hate to see it on most others. I can think of one time where I saw a young woman who really pulled off that style.

One-piece pantsuits are just wrong. I like simple black pants that can be dressed up or down depending on the top worn with them. A nice fitting pair of black slacks is as versatile as a little black dress.

I can no longer wear heels due to having brittle bones in my feet but it's pretty easy to find decent looking shoes that are more flat or completely flat that are appropriate for work.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Thank you all for confirming my notions about capris and pantsuits.

(Disclaimer: I do wear capris to work in summer because I don't much care how I look (no one sees me at the office, I'm tucked away in a corner) and they are the most comfortable option, but I certainly wouldn't wear them in winter regardless of the trends.)

The other option is skirts/dresses, which could work. I'm seeing a lot of print dresses, even for winter, so that's a nice change.

My daughter LOVES the boho look (think Anthropologie) but it's not very corporate, so she'll probably restrict herself to a few frilly/comfy blouses to offset the severity of a Hugo Boss-type suit, sigh.

I did splurge and got her a Ted Baker power suit (peplum jacket and matching trousers because they were running out of her size).
I hope she likes it Smile

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
13-09-2017, 01:22 PM

It's been awhile since I've had to dress professionally-now my wardrobe consists mostly of yoga attire. But when I was working in a more professional environment, the designers I liked for that sort of thing were Tahari and Laundry by Shelli Segal. I think they're probably in line with what you are talking about in that they have pretty classic looking clothes, yet fashionable. As far as the heels, they make a lot of slightly heeled shoes which would look great with any business attire. Though, I'm not sure if she would go for that if she doesn't like heels at work. Example:

[Image: Simple-Business-Pant-Suits-For-Women-3.jpg]

And if that is a no, flats or loafers would also work:

[Image: Business-Casual-Attire-for-Women-Stylishlyme.jpg]

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-09-2017, 01:34 PM
You know what I've been eyeing lately? A Kimono robe. I'm really Drooling over it.

[Image: natori1.png]

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
13-09-2017, 01:51 PM
(13-09-2017 12:50 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Thank you all for confirming my notions about capris and pantsuits.

(Disclaimer: I do wear capris to work in summer because I don't much care how I look (no one sees me at the office, I'm tucked away in a corner) and they are the most comfortable option, but I certainly wouldn't wear them in winter regardless of the trends.)

The other option is skirts/dresses, which could work. I'm seeing a lot of print dresses, even for winter, so that's a nice change.

My daughter LOVES the boho look (think Anthropologie) but it's not very corporate, so she'll probably restrict herself to a few frilly/comfy blouses to offset the severity of a Hugo Boss-type suit, sigh.

I did splurge and got her a Ted Baker power suit (peplum jacket and matching trousers because they were running out of her size).

I think she will and great color! Smile

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-09-2017, 07:09 AM
(13-09-2017 01:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You know what I've been eyeing lately? A Kimono robe. I'm really Drooling over it.

As a straight guy....this beats standard bathrobes in the "what looks good on a women" Thumbsup

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
14-09-2017, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2017 07:54 AM by Anjele.)
(13-09-2017 12:50 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Thank you all for confirming my notions about capris and pantsuits.

I don't so much take issue with capri pants worn in a casual environment but not for work in a professional setting.

I also do a lot of layering as offices are often cold...even if it's just a tank top under a V-neck top. It adds some coverage that is more professional as well as warmth. I have a collection of white and black cardigans for chillier weather.

Charcoal gray slacks can also be a nice way to change things up a bit.

Lately I have been adding more color to my work wardrobe. I buy tops that will work with jeans or with black slacks. I have some skinny legged black pants that are great with sandals and some with more of a straight leg or boot cut for wearing with shoes.

Have fun with the shopping spree. Thumbsup

**My boss touched me on the shoulder a couple weeks ago when I was wearing a new colorful top and said that accountants don't dress like that...they wear solid colors. I pointed to him in his tennis shoes, shorts, T-shirt, and ball cap and told him they don't dress like he does either. Dodgy The office where I work is pretty laid back and I am easily the best dressed person there even when in jeans since I wear nice tops and shoes/sandals.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
14-09-2017, 10:02 AM
(14-09-2017 07:09 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(13-09-2017 01:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You know what I've been eyeing lately? A Kimono robe. I'm really Drooling over it.

As a straight guy....this beats standard bathrobes in the "what looks good on a women" Thumbsup

The only thing better than this, are those mini-kimono's Drooling

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
15-09-2017, 04:16 PM
So I decided to go for the Via Spiga trench coat instead of the T. Hilfiger one because TH is dry clean only and the VS is machine washable. My question to you guys is...which color? I like all 4. This is going to be pretty much be this year's go to winter coat as in CA we don't get very harsh weather.

Here's the Sand one, but it also comes in Black, Peat Green, and Navy Blue.

[Image: 5030f37b900883045ea764bd45f615b9.jpg]