The Feelings Factor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 12:23 PM
RE: The Feelings Factor
How about things that are not necessarily delineated? Things that involve morals, ethics, justice, etc? At this particular moment, I'm thinking about issues like abortion and the death penalty and the like (I'm kinda undecided on my stance on both, just for the record). Do emotional responses have a valid part to play in these issues and others like them? If so, to what extent?

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2014, 12:24 PM
True debates (of equal sides and proportions) are rare. But some topics can weigh on direct opposite opposing views with some rather interesting balances. (the gun debate springs to mind)
BUT
people rarely stick to just debating statistics and actual data. And remember they reached their opinion (whichever side) through their own perceptions. Making complete lack of an emotional connection to their opinion impossible really.

Being driven by one's emotions and opinions is not a bad thing. It generates all sorts of change - even GOOD change. Being driven will help you strive to learn more, do more, be more, etc. But being LED by one's emotions is not so good (IMO) because that means you lack the ability to be compassionate towards others and arrogantly forge ahead mindless of data or reality.

Debating or arguing using emotion is as common as night and day. It's living within your own skin and voicing your ideals, wants and hopes. Check. Being subject to and a victim OF your own emotions means you've left the debate arena.......
and are just running at the mouth with your brains wasted by the roadside. Truly not attempting to accomplish anything really.

What's debate without the goal of accomplishment? If no resolution is sought then why bother?

I think debating using reliable information yet allowing personal feelings, opinions and emotions is perfectly natural. But then so is being a complete dumbass for some (or many)........
so...........

meh...........
just my two cents worth.

I don't think expecting people to debate minus ANY or ALL emotion is rational. They reached their ideals or opinions using emotion in the first place. Expecting them to be intelligent and search for reliable data to back up their own [emotional] debate is sometimes seen.............and often NOT seen.

cause............too often people are just stupid and completely LED by their emotions randomly running at the mouth about whatever THEY deem is right or accurate.

*sigh*

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
30-05-2014, 12:27 PM
(30-05-2014 12:23 PM)Charis Wrote:  How about things that are not necessarily delineated? Things that involve morals, ethics, justice, etc? At this particular moment, I'm thinking about issues like abortion and the death penalty and the like (I'm kinda undecided on my stance on both, just for the record). Do emotional responses have a valid part to play in these issues and others like them? If so, to what extent?
No, they don't.

Morality is subjective,
And justice is doing what's logical, not what feels right.

I am a repressed, socially retarded, egotistical, attention starved, solipsistic, passive aggressive, and perpetually aggrieved gay manlet, who is also possibly a hetero incel beta male member of an omega male brothel
30-05-2014, 12:48 PM
(30-05-2014 12:23 PM)Charis Wrote:  How about things that are not necessarily delineated? Things that involve morals, ethics, justice, etc? At this particular moment, I'm thinking about issues like abortion and the death penalty and the like (I'm kinda undecided on my stance on both, just for the record). Do emotional responses have a valid part to play in these issues and others like them? If so, to what extent?

In both those examples there is not just subjective feels but real world data. The abortion debate has a better emotional basis since you can discuss subjective things such as when does life begin but even still the further you follow the facts the more you see 1 side as having a marked advantage and the other running to emotion.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Only if you are wrong and your position is wrong. Real debaters can use evidence only.Drinking Beverage

[Image: get_some_by_addmedia-d78ip4k.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
30-05-2014, 05:10 PM
(30-05-2014 11:35 AM)Charis Wrote:  I'm not supposed to be drooling over your profile pic while I'm trying to read your response....
Uniforms. I swear.

Blush

and I thought that was one way, I usually get stuck on your avatar for a few minutes before I gather enough strength to scroll down further..Drooling

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
30-05-2014, 05:14 PM
I think feelings are important in the sense that passion is always important.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
30-05-2014, 05:14 PM
(30-05-2014 05:10 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  and I thought that was one way, I usually get stuck on your avatar for a few minutes before I gather enough strength to scroll down further..Drooling

" *Tips fedora*

M'lady."

I am a repressed, socially retarded, egotistical, attention starved, solipsistic, passive aggressive, and perpetually aggrieved gay manlet, who is also possibly a hetero incel beta male member of an omega male brothel
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
30-05-2014, 05:48 PM
I like talking about my feelings.

Especially when they are located in my pants.

[Image: giphy.gif]
30-05-2014, 11:35 PM
(30-05-2014 05:10 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 11:35 AM)Charis Wrote:  I'm not supposed to be drooling over your profile pic while I'm trying to read your response....
Uniforms. I swear.

Blush

and I thought that was one way, I usually get stuck on your avatar for a few minutes before I gather enough strength to scroll down further..Drooling

*shivers and blushes* Blush

*shakes my head to tryyyy to clear it before responding to the thread*

I guess I'd definitely have to give priority to clear logic... I mean... logically. I'm just not sure how to address the emotional aspect of many of these topics. I liked the post earlier that spoke of being driven by emotion (as a driving force, not as the steering wheel) versus being pulled along by it (and presumably being pulled in whatever direction the emotions want to take you).

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post