The Feynman Lectures on Physics?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2013, 08:46 AM
The Feynman Lectures on Physics?
I'd love to learn physics, so I'm looking for good books. I've heard of The Feynman Lectures on Physics, and wondered if it's a good book for a beginner like me? Just how much can it contribute to my understanding (or lack of thereof) of physics?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vlad's post
21-03-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: The Feynman Lectures on Physics?
(21-03-2013 08:46 AM)Vlad Wrote:  I'd love to learn physics, so I'm looking for good books. I've heard of The Feynman Lectures on Physics, and wondered if it's a good book for a beginner like me? Just how much can it contribute to my understanding (or lack of thereof) of physics?

Don't buy them. Go find them in a library and read a few. They are a good intro, but his style is a little quirky IMO. Some people don't like it. I loved them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
21-03-2013, 09:51 AM
(21-03-2013 09:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 08:46 AM)Vlad Wrote:  I'd love to learn physics, so I'm looking for good books. I've heard of The Feynman Lectures on Physics, and wondered if it's a good book for a beginner like me? Just how much can it contribute to my understanding (or lack of thereof) of physics?

Don't buy them. Go find them in a library and read a few. They are a good intro, but his style is a little quirky IMO. Some people don't like it. I loved them.
Our libraries, unfortunately, don't have such books as far as I know. These books weren't translated to Hebrew, so finding them in our libraries - much less in English - are practically non-existent.
21-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Yikes. But thou speakest English sirrah, hence hie thee to a vendor of literature Wink I never got very far with Feynman, he sits patiently on my bookshelf awaiting the day I stop running around like a madman... *however* what little I did read was *exciting*. I vote get them Smile I also hear that many videos of his lectures exist and indeed are *also* inspiring to watch.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-03-2013, 05:24 PM
read "6 easy pieces". Its a collection of some of the easier to understand parts of the lectures but it will give you the best idea of what to expect.
22-03-2013, 03:13 PM
You can't go far wrong with Hawking, either - A Brief History of Time has been updated a couple of times, and there's also The Universe in a Nutshell.

I just picked up "A Cultural History of Physics" by Karoly Simonyi. Awesome book; it might just be my new favourite. As with Feynman it's now a little dated (first publication 1978), but then, the developments of the last couple decades aren't too much of a concern if your starting position is far back enough.
26-03-2013, 01:09 AM
(21-03-2013 08:46 AM)Vlad Wrote:  I'd love to learn physics, so I'm looking for good books. I've heard of The Feynman Lectures on Physics, and wondered if it's a good book for a beginner like me?
No. I took a look at the Feynman Lectures while studying for my M.S. Wait until you have your B.S.

I don't know everything, but I'm working on it.
27-03-2013, 08:18 AM
(21-03-2013 05:24 PM)Thoughtful Nate Wrote:  read "6 easy pieces". Its a collection of some of the easier to understand parts of the lectures but it will give you the best idea of what to expect.

Just ordered this book. I am looking forward to it.
27-03-2013, 10:52 PM
(27-03-2013 08:18 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 05:24 PM)Thoughtful Nate Wrote:  read "6 easy pieces". Its a collection of some of the easier to understand parts of the lectures but it will give you the best idea of what to expect.

Just ordered this book. I am looking forward to it.

It's not very large unfortunately, so its a pretty quick read. Deffinatly an awesome book though if you like Feynmans... Style? lol
28-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Area you looking to read about concepts in physics, or are you looking to learn some basic (college level) physics? For the former, Niel Degrasse Tyson is always a good read. Alternatively, I might be able to find some pdfs of my old physics textbook if that's what you are interested in.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user