The Fifth Estate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
The Fifth Estate
I watched the Fifth Estate (movie about Julian Assange and wikileaks) last night. Has anybody else seen this? I would be curious to know people's thoughts.

I admit, I watched it as a supporter of Assange and WikiLeaks, so my opinions on anything to do with them could be a bit biased. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised the job they did portraying Assange, in what I thought, was mostly a positive light.

I would say that, at the end of the movie, where there is the drama over the name redaction's in the biggest leak, they could do a better job at explaining Assange's opposition to that, because he does come off as a huge bad guy for it in the movie.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2014, 04:34 PM
RE: The Fifth Estate
I read somewhere that Julian hated it. I didn't see it, though.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2014, 04:40 PM
RE: The Fifth Estate
I think with any movie, when it is mostly about a specific person, that person is probably not going to like it. Especially when they were not consulted at all. After all, nobody knows what they did and how they operated than the person who actually did it, to see it in a movie not exactly how you want it to be seen is natural.

I will say, I think he does have a right to take issue with how he was portrayed as the bad guy at the end. You can say what you want about whether his position was right or wrong when it came to the war logs leak, but they should have explained his rational.
Find all posts by this user