The Finite "You" - How do you as fellow Atheists deal with death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2012, 01:13 PM
RE: The Finite "You" - How do you as fellow Atheists deal with death?
Well..I had a similar conversation with my father about this topic; bear in mind that he has become a confirmed lutheran because his new wife is a lutheran.

Anywhoo..he asked me "So you think this is it and when you die that's it?". I told him I don't know and I really don't care. I explained that I have enough trouble dealing with real life without worrying about a fictional afterlife, I also explained that no one has been able to confirm the existence of souls or previous lives and anecdotes are not considered reliable evidence.

The point is that I live my life, try to stay out of trouble and endeavor not to hurt others and when I die..I die. I am not scared or worried because the "me" that existed ceases when my brain and body dies.
We get attached to our consciousness and to try and explain non-existence requires a perspective to compare it to. That would be rather difficult to convey, wouldn't it?

I don't see my existence as "miraculous" or amazing...my being here has no purpose or meaning other than being the result of biology.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2012, 05:15 PM
I watch this video. I find it calming and peaceful and reassuring.

I have forgiven 51 unprovoked insults Heywood Jahblome has directed at forum members.
27-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I have this apathy towards death but underneath all that there is this fear. Humans are always going to have fear of death. But for me it's not the matter of dying but how I am going to. I used to have these depressed moments whenever I think of death but then I realised I'm still young. Maybe when I am old, I won't have this fear. The one thing that helps me is that when I die, my body breaks down and the nutrients in my body will be eaten by other animals and will therefore help nature. I will go back into the arms of mother nature and become one. That is why I want to be under a tree. Smile

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
05-11-2012, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 02:04 PM by jmiah.)
I was told that I have 10-12 yrs to live...5 years ago. I think we have this fear due to the obvious things. It is the unknown, the feeling of leaving our life behind, how will our families go on, what if they do go on, etc. There are many questions and not many answers. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around death. I believe as many have posted, we die and the lights are out, all perception stops, and we cease to exist. I also agree that we have evolved to develop this understanding and perception of our own existence that I believe other animals like my dog, don't have to worry about. As said earlier, that is the cause of our despair and yet also the beauty of being human. Someone said that life was just a biological process, and while that may be true in principle, it can still be beautiful. Thanks for the post. Death is scary and it's also okay that it is so and that we don't have the answers. I'm 31 by the way, just to put this into perspective.
[+] 1 user Likes jmiah's post
05-11-2012, 02:00 PM
If god existed, he'd surly fix Tapatalk!
05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Oops, sorry for the triple post.
05-11-2012, 02:39 PM
How do I deal with death?

I drown bags of puppies... it is just a coping mechanism, or at least that is what the voices tell me.

[Image: opforum1.png]
05-11-2012, 03:20 PM
In all honesty?

I am a teenager. I know I have a full life ahead of me, but I also realize that said life may be cut short. Or, if not, it will fly by in an instant. But let me tell you, no matter how much I have struggled, pondered, queried, reasoned, wondered, or wrestled about the idea of a permanent end to my consciousness, I remain utterly terrified of it. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial, foolish, or a mixture of both. The only way to deal with it is to accept it for what it is, and make a point to create a life that is worth living. No matter how much time is left, you can still create things that are better than what currently exist.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
05-11-2012, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 06:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-11-2012 03:20 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  But let me tell you, no matter how much I have struggled, pondered, queried, reasoned, wondered, or wrestled about the idea of a permanent end to my consciousness, I remain utterly terrified of it. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial, foolish, or a mixture of both. The only way to deal with it is to accept it for what it is, and make a point to create a life that is worth living. No matter how much time is left, you can still create things that are better than what currently exist.

You will become less terrified. Like some of us, you may even come to fully appreciate and embrace your impermanence. Not all of us are in denial, foolish, or a mixture of both just because we ain't afraid of the boogeyman of no longer being. Many of us have spent decades considering it. It's really not scary at all. But your approach is sound, Logical Human, go forth and do good deeds. Thumbsup

I have forgiven 51 unprovoked insults Heywood Jahblome has directed at forum members.
06-11-2012, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 11:28 AM by Logica Humano.)
(05-11-2012 06:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 03:20 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  But let me tell you, no matter how much I have struggled, pondered, queried, reasoned, wondered, or wrestled about the idea of a permanent end to my consciousness, I remain utterly terrified of it. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial, foolish, or a mixture of both. The only way to deal with it is to accept it for what it is, and make a point to create a life that is worth living. No matter how much time is left, you can still create things that are better than what currently exist.

You will become less terrified. Like some of us, you may even come to fully appreciate and embrace your impermanence. Not all of us are in denial, foolish, or a mixture of both just because we ain't afraid of the boogeyman of no longer being. Many of us have spent decades considering it. It's really not scary at all. But your approach is sound, Logical Human, go forth and do good deeds. Thumbsup
Death is not a just a boogeyman, and it is very much real. The most terrifying thing is not the pain, or the manner of death, but rather the fact that your consciousness is terminated, and along with it everything that you know and love. Truly, for you, the world ends. Anyone who denies fear of such a fact is, as I said, foolish or in denial. You can argue with me, but that stance will not change.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post