The Finite "You" - How do you as fellow Atheists deal with death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 06:15 PM
RE: The Finite "You" - How do you as fellow Atheists deal with death?
Death is a scary thing, and I think that fear of the unknown is natural. What it boils down to is whether you are willing to accept a comforting lie over a hard truth. I prefer to use the knowledge and acceptance of my own mortality as an impetus to improve myself, and leave a worthy legacy to my descendants.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 06:25 PM
(06-11-2012 09:00 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 06:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You will become less terrified. Like some of us, you may even come to fully appreciate and embrace your impermanence. Not all of us are in denial, foolish, or a mixture of both just because we ain't afraid of the boogeyman of no longer being. Many of us have spent decades considering it. It's really not scary at all. But your approach is sound, Logical Human, go forth and do good deeds. Thumbsup
Death is not a just a boogeyman, and it is very much real. The most terrifying thing is not the pain, or the manner of death, but rather the fact that your consciousness is terminated, and along with it everything that you know and love. Truly, for you, the world ends. Anyone who denies fear of such a fact is, as I said, foolish or in denial. You can argue with me, but that stance will not change.

You're a teenager who hasn't spent the last 35 years considering, accepting, and finally embracing their inevitable demise. Your opinion on the matter is consequently of little value.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-11-2012, 06:32 PM
(06-11-2012 06:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 09:00 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Death is not a just a boogeyman, and it is very much real. The most terrifying thing is not the pain, or the manner of death, but rather the fact that your consciousness is terminated, and along with it everything that you know and love. Truly, for you, the world ends. Anyone who denies fear of such a fact is, as I said, foolish or in denial. You can argue with me, but that stance will not change.

You're a teenager who hasn't spent the last 35 years considering, accepting, and finally embracing their inevitable demise. Your opinion on the matter is consequently of little value.

What garbage! I'm not a damn teenager...nobody even responded to my personal response. I'm in my 30's and I think logica's responses are more intelligent and thought out than yours which use childish references like boogeyman. Nice...douche.
[+] 1 user Likes jmiah's post
06-11-2012, 06:38 PM
(06-11-2012 06:32 PM)jmiah Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 06:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You're a teenager who hasn't spent the last 35 years considering, accepting, and finally embracing their inevitable demise. Your opinion on the matter is consequently of little value.

What garbage! I'm not a damn teenager...nobody even responded to my personal response. I'm in my 30's and I think logica's responses are more intelligent and thought out than yours which use childish references like boogeyman. Nice...douche.

Choose to be afraid if you want, no skin off my scrotum. I choose not to be. ... And I'm at the peak of my Androgel cycle so the douche will have to wait for the weekend.

06-11-2012, 07:40 PM
(06-11-2012 06:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 06:32 PM)jmiah Wrote:  What garbage! I'm not a damn teenager...nobody even responded to my personal response. I'm in my 30's and I think logica's responses are more intelligent and thought out than yours which use childish references like boogeyman. Nice...douche.

Choose to be afraid if you want, no skin off my scrotum. I choose not to be. ... And I'm at the peak of my Androgel cycle so the douche will have to wait for the weekend.

I agree with you in that it does not pay to be afraid, but I think it's natural. Even evolutionary given that it's probably a survival instinct to fear death. And the douche comment was harsh so I apologize. This is a touchy subject for me.
[+] 1 user Likes jmiah's post
07-11-2012, 12:40 PM
(05-11-2012 03:20 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  In all honesty?

I am a teenager. I know I have a full life ahead of me, but I also realize that said life may be cut short. Or, if not, it will fly by in an instant. But let me tell you, no matter how much I have struggled, pondered, queried, reasoned, wondered, or wrestled about the idea of a permanent end to my consciousness, I remain utterly terrified of it. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial, foolish, or a mixture of both. The only way to deal with it is to accept it for what it is, and make a point to create a life that is worth living. No matter how much time is left, you can still create things that are better than what currently exist.

The younger you are, the more death scares. The more of it you see in a natural way (not blood and gore in wars and such) the less it scares.

I go to sleep every night. I like it. I am not at all scared of staying asleep.

You are utterly scared of it because your survival instinct is very strong, as was mine at your age and for another couple decades. It weakens with age.

It's also a personal thing. To me, death has always been a positive, a way to call it quits whenever I want. I live because I like it. Should I not like it anymore some day, I'll just quit doing it. I have trouble understanding how older people can be scared of permanent sleep. Must be a DNA thing, built in instinct.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
(24-10-2012 04:31 PM)WeAreOne Wrote:  My question is: How do you deal with this? How can you deal with the idea that people are lost forever and the concept of death in general?
In my world-view, people are NOT lost forever. Atheist as I may be, I firmly hold the concept of an afterlife, which is this: My concept of an afterlife is the memories of us held by those who knew us.

I remember my Babka. She taught me how to bake, how to embroider, how to speak Slovak. She was the most wonderful woman I have known, and may ever know. Every time I would bake a batch of bread, I would remember her; if ever I have an oven again, I will remember her with each loaf that comes out of it. If there is a Heaven, my memories of her are it.

I remember the slimy bastards who had the audacity to call themselves my parents. Throughout my life, they did nothing but beat me, berate me, remind me that I was worthless. They wrote me off when I came out as transsexual. As far as I know, they still live, but my memories make for them the most agonizing Hell any theist could imagine.

I do not know how I will be remembered, what kind of afterlife is prepared for me, but I try to live in such a way as to be remembered well, or at least neutrally. Someday, my body will cease to function and return to the elements of which it is composed, but I will continue in the minds of those who will have known me. Incidentally, should anyone wonder why the atheist must work harder than any theist to maintain a firm code of ethics, this is the reason.

Diana

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes dclarion's post
07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
(06-11-2012 06:32 PM)jmiah Wrote:  ... nobody even responded to my personal response.

Point taken.

(05-11-2012 01:59 PM)jmiah Wrote:  I was told that I have 10-12 yrs to live...5 years ago. I think we have this fear due to the obvious things. It is the unknown, the feeling of leaving our life behind, how will our families go on, what if they do go on, etc. There are many questions and not many answers. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around death. I believe as many have posted, we die and the lights are out, all perception stops, and we cease to exist. I also agree that we have evolved to develop this understanding and perception of our own existence that I believe other animals like my dog, don't have to worry about. As said earlier, that is the cause of our despair and yet also the beauty of being human. Someone said that life was just a biological process, and while that may be true in principle, it can still be beautiful. Thanks for the post. Death is scary and it's also okay that it is so and that we don't have the answers. I'm 31 by the way, just to put this into perspective.

That is the cause of our despair and yet also the beauty of being human.

08-11-2012, 06:27 AM
(06-11-2012 06:15 PM)thirdangletheory Wrote:  Death is a scary thing, and I think that fear of the unknown is natural. What it boils down to is whether you are willing to accept a comforting lie over a hard truth. I prefer to use the knowledge and acceptance of my own mortality as an impetus to improve myself, and leave a worthy legacy to my descendants.
About death being frightening:

Personally, I don't find death frightening. In fact, as one who suffers an extremely severe major depressive disorder, there are days when I would like nothing better than to die and have it over. The singular reason I am alive today is that I'm afraid that something will go wrong with a suicide attempt and I will be debilitated, committed, or both, and lose all of my options. The problem I have with contemplating death may sound silly, it is the thought of "How does death feel?"

Let's consider this for a moment. On a personal level, death is non-existence. On the other hand, all I know is existence; it is, in fact, probably the only thing that I have done right (for very generous values of "right"). Everything I consider is, in some way, in terms of my personal experience of it. So when it comes to my death, I find myself trying to think about it in terms of my experience of it when there will be no me to do the experiencing. This, people, is a Conceptual Difficulty.

My ex-, who believes herself to be one of the Great Philosophers, right up there with Ayn Rand, has told me "Think of the time before you were born. You didn't exist then. The time after your death is the same." Well, no it isn't. Prior to my birth, I had no previous existence to which I could compare that non-existence; after my death, there will have been such an existence, and I am hardwired to try to make the comparison.

There is, perhaps, one more problem that I encounter in considering my own death: When I am dead, I will not be cold, I will not be hungry, I will not be isolated, but I will not exist to enjoy it. One might call that the ultimate denial of comfort.

Diana

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2012, 06:38 AM
(08-11-2012 06:27 AM)dclarion Wrote:  My ex-, who believes herself to be one of the Great Philosophers, right up there with Ayn Rand, has told me "Think of the time before you were born. You didn't exist then. The time after your death is the same." Well, no it isn't. Prior to my birth, I had no previous existence to which I could compare that non-existence; after my death, there will have been such an existence, and I am hardwired to try to make the comparison.
Your ex is correct. You cannot know, one way or the other, what non-existence is or what it does. Even with your current experience with existence, it doesn't matter. There is no change in your understanding.

As for everyone claiming age and experience has something to do with fear, no it does not. Fear of death is an instinct. We naturally fear the unknown.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab