The Finite "You" - How do you as fellow Atheists deal with death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2012, 08:36 AM
RE: The Finite "You" - How do you as fellow Atheists deal with death?
(11-11-2012 06:38 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  As for everyone claiming age and experience has something to do with fear, no it does not. Fear of death is an instinct. We naturally fear the unknown.

Fortunately for humanity, you are wrong. As you age, you encounter death on a more and more frequent basis. Each time you do, your fear dulls just a little bit. As the generations that came before you die off, the dulling is still small each time. When your peers start passing on, you start experience more pain at their passing, and that pain serves to dull your fear more. You become acutely aware that the dead are not suffering, but the ones who stay behind do. As your own body declines more rapidly as you get older, leaving it starts looking less and less frightening.

Of course there are plenty of exceptions as always, but most old people end up welcoming death. Life becomes cumbersome.

It's the cycle of life and unless you get torn out of it before your time for some reason, you'll be just fine with it. So let's hope we all live to a ripe old age and none of us will be scared when the time comes.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
11-11-2012, 01:54 PM
(11-11-2012 08:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  Of course there are plenty of exceptions as always, but most old people end up welcoming death. Life becomes cumbersome.
For everyone making this claim, I'd like to see your sources. Wink
11-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Oblivion is the ultimate reliever of suffering. Fear of death, emotions, conceptual knowledge, and sensory experience can only exist as long as the conscience is there to comprehend it, but it ceases once death comes. Universal reality operates independent of the individual observer: you might have left the show early, but the play goes on for the remaining audience.

[Image: giphy.gif]
11-11-2012, 04:07 PM
(11-11-2012 01:54 PM)thirdangletheory Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 08:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  Of course there are plenty of exceptions as always, but most old people end up welcoming death. Life becomes cumbersome.
For everyone making this claim, I'd like to see your sources. Wink

You might want to consider treading carefully here since you are clearly unfamiliar with Dom's story.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
11-11-2012, 06:19 PM
(11-11-2012 08:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 06:38 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  As for everyone claiming age and experience has something to do with fear, no it does not. Fear of death is an instinct. We naturally fear the unknown.

Fortunately for humanity, you are wrong. As you age, you encounter death on a more and more frequent basis. Each time you do, your fear dulls just a little bit. As the generations that came before you die off, the dulling is still small each time. When your peers start passing on, you start experience more pain at their passing, and that pain serves to dull your fear more. You become acutely aware that the dead are not suffering, but the ones who stay behind do. As your own body declines more rapidly as you get older, leaving it starts looking less and less frightening.

Of course there are plenty of exceptions as always, but most old people end up welcoming death. Life becomes cumbersome.

It's the cycle of life and unless you get torn out of it before your time for some reason, you'll be just fine with it. So let's hope we all live to a ripe old age and none of us will be scared when the time comes.
Out of the many people I know who have died, people close to me and not, none of them have welcomed death. They have only accepted that it will happen. Accepting such a fact does not remove or replace the fear. I could be diagnosed with a terminal illness, ignore the pain, accept the imminent death, but I could not stop fearing the demise of my consciousness (and nor could anyone I have known).

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
11-11-2012, 07:02 PM
(11-11-2012 04:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You might want to consider treading carefully here since you are clearly unfamiliar with Dom's story.
No, I don't know his/her personal story, I'm just looking for a source corroborating the statement 'most old people welcome death'. If that's somehow offensive... it wasn't my intention.
11-11-2012, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 08:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-11-2012 06:19 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Out of the many people I know who have died, people close to me and not, none of them have welcomed death. They have only accepted that it will happen. Accepting such a fact does not remove or replace the fear. I could be diagnosed with a terminal illness, ignore the pain, accept the imminent death, but I could not stop fearing the demise of my consciousness (and nor could anyone I have known).

You clearly don't have an Exit Bag ready. I've had one ready for decades, started putting it together 33 years ago when I was 17 yo. Then it was a stockpile of pills, now it's nitrogen gas. No pain, I won't even notice it, I'm out in less than a minute and gone just a couple minutes later. Why you no got an Exit Bag ready? Boy Scouts Motto: Be Prepared!

(11-11-2012 07:02 PM)thirdangletheory Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 04:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You might want to consider treading carefully here since you are clearly unfamiliar with Dom's story.
No, I don't know his/her personal story, I'm just looking for a source corroborating the statement 'most old people welcome death'. If that's somehow offensive... it wasn't my intention.

Not offensive. She can't corroborate "most" but she can corroborate at least one.

Breathing - it's more art than science.