The First Clue that Theists Hijack Pagan Holidays

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 05:16 AM
The First Clue that Theists Hijack Pagan Holidays
If you were to listen to most Christians - they'll tell you that their holidays are scheduled by a mandate from "God".... At least they seem to think so.

However -- I hate to burst their bubble - but more often than not, the early practitioners of their religion simply borrowed a holiday from the local pagans.

A big reason for this was to make it easier to "convert" the locals to Christianity (Catholic) as it spread. Many areas the locals simply had intrenched beliefs and holidays they were not willing to give up, so the Catholics simply interwove the local beliefs into something recognizable as Christianity.

Easter for instance - was a pagan holiday - "spring rites".

If you tell a Christian that his holiday is calculated by cycles of the moon - you're likely to get a blank stare and a "That's not right"......

But it's true - like the pagan holidays - Easter is calculated by cycles of the moon.

Something decidedly pagan - wouldn't you agree??

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
09-03-2015, 06:20 AM
RE: The First Clue that Theists Hijack Pagan Holidays
I seem to recall that the Romans deployed this trick long before christianity was invented.

Da popes just picked up where the Romans left off.

I could be wrong.

09-03-2015, 08:01 AM
(09-03-2015 06:20 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I seem to recall that the Romans deployed this trick long before christianity was invented.

Da popes just picked up where the Romans left off.

I could be wrong.

this hypothesis does explain the origin of the word "roman catholic"
09-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Eating the flesh of your god and drinking his blood sounds pretty pagan too.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
09-03-2015, 08:11 AM
It isn't so much a "first clue", but more in that not enough humans have a clue at all that religions don't magically poof into existence out of a vacuum.

They are all human inventions based on flawed perceptions. They are anthropomorphic reflections of explaining good and bad reflecting our species desire to benefit itself and be free from threats. All of them have been influenced by prior and or surrounding events. It is a placebo affect that allows humans group survival and sets up social pecking orders. But there is nothing new under the sun, it all comes from events prior. The only thing that makes religions different are the details.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
09-03-2015, 09:48 AM
I would have thought it was the use of decorated Christmas trees, even though the bible specifically tells us not to

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
09-03-2015, 11:54 AM
(09-03-2015 05:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  But it's true - like the pagan holidays - Easter is calculated by cycles of the moon.

Is it pagan?

I know many Christian traditions were taken from pagan traditions. But, regarding Easter specifically, in my Catholic days I was taught that Easter is calculated by the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. I had assumed that this method was chosen because it mapped to the day of Christ's resurrection back when it supposedly happened.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
09-03-2015, 12:31 PM
(09-03-2015 11:54 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 05:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  But it's true - like the pagan holidays - Easter is calculated by cycles of the moon.

Is it pagan?

I know many Christian traditions were taken from pagan traditions. But, regarding Easter specifically, in my Catholic days I was taught that Easter is calculated by the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. I had assumed that this method was chosen because it mapped to the day of Christ's resurrection back when it supposedly happened.

You are correct. I purposely left it a bit vague so as to see if anybody knew it. Most Christians I've told how Easter is calculated are SURE I'm wrong - but they can't quite seem to figure out how come it's a different day every year.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-03-2015, 12:43 PM
It seems to me that most monotheistic religions seem to have a superiority complex over any kind of polytheism.

I don't think religions like Christianity "hijacked" pagan holidays per say, though I do think that they were just a part of the evolution of religion through the ages. Instead of scorning pagans they should admit that dues are owed as they are indebted to pagan religions for setting the foundations of their own.

C.S Lewis was aware of this. His poem "Cliche Came Out of its Cage" is fantastic on the subject of his modern Christian contemporaries dismissing the contribution of paganism to every single aspect of their religion. After all, the first few centuries of Christianity has more in common with BC paganism than it does with the Christianity of the past 500 years.

My favourite section of the poem:

Take as your model the tall women with yellow hair in plaits
Who walked back into burning houses to die with men,
Or him who as the death spear entered into his vitals
Made critical comments on its workmanship and aim.
Are these the Pagans you spoke of? Know your betters and crouch, dogs;
You that have Vichy water in your veins and worship the event
Your goddess History (whom your fathers called the strumpet Fortune).

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
09-03-2015, 12:51 PM
From what little I know about Easter, the name Easter comes to us from Ostera or Eostre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring. So, even the name Easter isn't christian/catholic.