The Flood Myth or Fact?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2012, 09:15 AM
The Flood Myth or Fact?
Their are so many stories of the flood in other cultures-
I'm having a little bit of a debate with my husband on why the flood stories throughout the many years show that the bible story is just another myth, his perspective is that if their are so many stories throughout the world that it shows how their must be something of truth in the flood story and that it actually happened.

Now he doesn't completely believe the bible story is the correct one yet he can't get away from the fact that their are so many flood stories and that it must have happened long ago.....and this is another reason for believing in a higher power.....god.

If no change in reality can change your belief - Then your belief is not based on anything in reality
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 09:21 AM
RE: The Flood Myth or Fact?
The general historical consensus was that there was an enormous flood sometime in ANE history; however, it wasn't world wide and different cultures created stories and myths around it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Most ancient cultures lived in river deltas, on coastlines, and other such locations, and those areas do tend to flood from time to time, so it's not hard to see how myths of "the wrath of the gods" could spring up around such things. Heck, it wasn't only some eight years or so ago that we had the Christmas Tsunami. One can only imagine how a society from even as little as a few hundred years ago would have reacted to such a thing.
02-11-2012, 09:32 AM
71% of the Earth is water so flooding is always going to be a fact.
People will latch onto any fact that will justify a desire.

Often a huge difference between what one has and what one wants... and it's usually disheartening. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
02-11-2012, 09:35 AM
(02-11-2012 09:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The general historical consensus was that there was an enormous flood sometime in ANE history; ...
What's ANE history?
No, I'm not looking it up, it's your crap, you esplain, please. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-11-2012, 09:40 AM
(02-11-2012 09:35 AM)kim Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 09:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The general historical consensus was that there was an enormous flood sometime in ANE history; ...
What's ANE history?
No, I'm not looking it up, it's your crap, you esplain, please. Dodgy
Ancient Near East history

02-11-2012, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 09:57 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Most of the ancient Near East cultures had flood myths.
Genesis used the one the Judean priests got from here :
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/meso...gilgamesh/
(see tablet 11). It was changed in some respects, remarkably similar in others.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Also, it's not like I'm saying something controversial with what I said.

Almost every single Ancient Near East culture has a flood story which means either 1) there was a real flood, albeit, not as bad as the story or 2) there was an original story and other cultures copied the story and added their own flare to it.

Based on the similarities in stories from contemporary cultures of that time, it's more than likely that something happened and they wrote stories around that event.

Edit: freakin' Bucky, stealin' mah thunder

02-11-2012, 09:58 AM
(02-11-2012 09:32 AM)kim Wrote:  71% of the Earth is water so flooding is always going to be a fact.
People will latch onto any fact that will justify a desire.

Often a huge difference between what one has and what one wants... and it's usually disheartening. Undecided
We see what we want to see and I find myself at times doing that exact same thing, which is why I have had to pull myself back and be more aware of what motives - we all want to be right and admitting we aren't or that we may not know can be humiliating and I think that is where my husband is at.

If no change in reality can change your belief - Then your belief is not based on anything in reality
[+] 1 user Likes Hope's post
02-11-2012, 10:02 AM
(02-11-2012 09:46 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, it's not like I'm saying something controversial with what I said.

Almost every single Ancient Near East culture has a flood story which means either 1) there was a real flood, albeit, not as bad as the story or 2) there was an original story and other cultures copied the story and added their own flare to it.

Based on the similarities in stories from contemporary cultures of that time, it's more than likely that something happened and they wrote stories around that event.

Edit: freakin' Bucky, stealin' mah thunder
No you stole mine. Tongue I forgot to mention the "collective unconscious" part. The people of "some" early culture probably DID experience "something" they *thought* was a universal flood. They had no way of knowing what was happening on the earth beyond their ability to walk, or travel at the time. This would have been a few miles, very early. Thus the story reflects a "collective (sub)consciousness" of a large flood. They would have no way of knowing it's actual extent.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post