The Flood Myth or Fact?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2012, 10:03 AM
RE: The Flood Myth or Fact?
(02-11-2012 09:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Most of the ancient Near East cultures had flood myths.
Genesis used the one the Judean priests got from here :
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/meso...gilgamesh/
(see tablet 11). It was changed in some respects, remarkably similar in others.
I bought my husband the book "Epic of Gilgamesh" he was not convinced Unsure

If no change in reality can change your belief - Then your belief is not based on anything in reality
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 10:06 AM
(02-11-2012 10:02 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 09:46 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, it's not like I'm saying something controversial with what I said.

Almost every single Ancient Near East culture has a flood story which means either 1) there was a real flood, albeit, not as bad as the story or 2) there was an original story and other cultures copied the story and added their own flare to it.

Based on the similarities in stories from contemporary cultures of that time, it's more than likely that something happened and they wrote stories around that event.

Edit: freakin' Bucky, stealin' mah thunder
No you stole mine. Tongue I forgot to mention the "collective unconscious" part. The people of "some" early culture probably DID experience "something" they *thought* was a universal flood. They had no way of knowing what was happening on the earth beyond their ability to walk, or travel at the time. This would have been a few miles, very early. Thus the story reflects a "collective (sub)consciousness" of a large flood. They would have no way of knowing it's actual extent.
I was going to point that out as well -_-

*shakes fist*

Tongue

[Image: vjp09.gif]
02-11-2012, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 10:43 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-11-2012 10:03 AM)Hope Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 09:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Most of the ancient Near East cultures had flood myths.
Genesis used the one the Judean priests got from here :
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/meso...gilgamesh/
(see tablet 11). It was changed in some respects, remarkably similar in others.
I bought my husband the book "Epic of Gilgamesh" he was not convinced Unsure
Then
a. there's no hope
b. he has no education in Biblical scholarship, and how it works. This is not even debated among scholars.
c. He needs to take a class in Comparative Mythology, and learn about "syncretism", and what that's all about.
d. It's his loss. If chooses to remain deluded, he remains deluded. You can lead a horse to water ...
e. If he has chosen to make this point his ONE point of contention for acceptance or not, he's in for a shocker. There are countless other "problems" with dating of supposed "events" and the chronology, to say nothing about the use and interpretation of myth in ancient texts. He's using a mythological text from 2500 years ago, which had NO concept of "historical accuracy", and slapped HIS 21st Century view of (historical) "literature" on an ancient piece of literature, which had neither the intent, nor the concept of being "historical".
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ment+texts
(See the video : The Bible unearthed).
For example archaeologists know for certain the Sea Peoples did not arrive in the "Lavant", (or general area of these myths, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levant ), until at the earliest 1200 BCE. Thus anything about the "Philistines" cannot have happened before that date. Also archaeologists know for certain camels were not in widespread use by non-royals, (or rarely by those of very high status), in the Levant until 1000 BCE. Thus all the coming and going, (Abraham to UR, Joseph to Egypt etc), cannot have happened as dated.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-11-2012, 10:14 AM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/b...s#NoahsArk

Use the resources the TTA already has and save yourself some typing. This should about do it as far as I'm concerned.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
02-11-2012, 10:34 AM
(02-11-2012 10:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 10:03 AM)Hope Wrote:  I bought my husband the book "Epic of Gilgamesh" he was not convinced Unsure
Then
a. there's no hope
b. he has no education in Biblical scholarship, and how it works. This is not even debated among scholars.
c. He needs to take a class in Comparative Mythology, and learn about "syncretism", and what that's all about.
d. It's his loss. If chooses to remain deluded, he remains deluded. You can lead a horse to water ...
OR... just watch a movie called The Unforgiven with him and pay close attention to the beginning. After the film, discuss just how the most meaningless, unconnected shit can become completely blown out of proportion and fuck up the lives of numerous innocent bystanders for the rest of history.

Then start talking about the bible book... it's fiction, too. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-06-2014, 01:45 AM
You know theists are going to be using this as evidence for the flood.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/13...91692.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user