The Force Awakens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2015, 09:13 PM
RE: The Force Awakens
(20-12-2015 08:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 11:12 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Did anyone see Cobert's review explaining to the Chinese the plot of the original 3? Ha ha made me laugh my fucking ass off.

I like this.

I saw it, too! It made me smile! Shy
Sometimes I miss the old Colbert! Laugh out load

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Whelp went and saw it with EA last night Theater was pretty full for a later showing on a Sunday (we went to the 7:30 showing so got out about quarter past 10) but not on top of each other. For Spoiler free reviews if you like Star Wars go see it. The new actors are all great, it feels like a Star Wars film, there is humor but it comes about organically and never feels forced. Personal favorite scene for humor is one in which Kylo Ren (the masked bad guy) is raging and 2 stormtroopers come around the corner look at each other and just go "nope" and turn around.

So now onto spoiler do not open unless you have seen the film

The biggest flaw in this film is maybe it's biggest strength, it is almost blow for blow a redo of "A New Hope" there are callbacks left and right but overall it just makes it feel familiar and scratches that nostalgia itch. The Original trilogy Actors all do very well in reprising their roles but the new additions definitely carry the film.
Kylo Ren is what Annakin should have been, an immature brat throwing a temper tantrum, this character out of the three is the one I really want to get to know more of. What his arc is going to be should be interesting.

Rey, if this were a guy she would be Luke Skywalker and since I am like 99% certain that she is Luke Daughter it makes sense. The cutaway shot at the end with her on the heathtop cliff is so perfect. I love that Mark Hamill had no lines in that scene and her standing there holding the lightsaber was the best way to end this kind of film.

Finn, This guy, this guy, this is the kind of character I was looking for in a Star Wars film. He is funny and enthusiastic but at the same time you can tell he has seen some things that will haunt him. The thumbs-up between him and BB-8 is another laugh out loud moment.

It's a good thing the characters all click because the plot of this movie is not only a redo of Episode IV but it relies on the Star Wars coincidence/force happenstance a bit much in places. Personally I could have done without the uber-weapon it felt forced and unneeded and we really needed more political grounding. Are the resistance allied with the New Republic? Why does an Imperial Remnant have access to this kind of power? The more I think about it the less I buy the 1st Order General, little lord fauntleroy, he just seems too young to be the leader.

Not a perfect film, they played it almost too safe and are really relying on the fact that there will be a bunch of sequels and tie-in films to flesh out what was a very barebones story. But it did hit all the high notes and set up a universe that I want to see more of. J.J. Abrams finally got to make his Star Wars film and overall he succeeded where Lucas failed.

8/10

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
21-12-2015, 12:48 PM
WOW! I think I recognize some TTA forum members here!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-12-2015, 03:00 PM
(21-12-2015 12:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Whelp went and saw it with EA last night Theater was pretty full for a later showing on a Sunday (we went to the 7:30 showing so got out about quarter past 10) but not on top of each other. For Spoiler free reviews if you like Star Wars go see it. The new actors are all great, it feels like a Star Wars film, there is humor but it comes about organically and never feels forced. Personal favorite scene for humor is one in which Kylo Ren (the masked bad guy) is raging and 2 stormtroopers come around the corner look at each other and just go "nope" and turn around.

So now onto spoiler do not open unless you have seen the film

The biggest flaw in this film is maybe it's biggest strength, it is almost blow for blow a redo of "A New Hope" there are callbacks left and right but overall it just makes it feel familiar and scratches that nostalgia itch. The Original trilogy Actors all do very well in reprising their roles but the new additions definitely carry the film.
Kylo Ren is what Annakin should have been, an immature brat throwing a temper tantrum, this character out of the three is the one I really want to get to know more of. What his arc is going to be should be interesting.

Rey, if this were a guy she would be Luke Skywalker and since I am like 99% certain that she is Luke Daughter it makes sense. The cutaway shot at the end with her on the heathtop cliff is so perfect. I love that Mark Hamill had no lines in that scene and her standing there holding the lightsaber was the best way to end this kind of film.

Finn, This guy, this guy, this is the kind of character I was looking for in a Star Wars film. He is funny and enthusiastic but at the same time you can tell he has seen some things that will haunt him. The thumbs-up between him and BB-8 is another laugh out loud moment.

It's a good thing the characters all click because the plot of this movie is not only a redo of Episode IV but it relies on the Star Wars coincidence/force happenstance a bit much in places. Personally I could have done without the uber-weapon it felt forced and unneeded and we really needed more political grounding. Are the resistance allied with the New Republic? Why does an Imperial Remnant have access to this kind of power? The more I think about it the less I buy the 1st Order General, little lord fauntleroy, he just seems too young to be the leader.

Not a perfect film, they played it almost too safe and are really relying on the fact that there will be a bunch of sequels and tie-in films to flesh out what was a very barebones story. But it did hit all the high notes and set up a universe that I want to see more of. J.J. Abrams finally got to make his Star Wars film and overall he succeeded where Lucas failed.

8/10

I agree with what you wrote here, I don't think I'd be as generous with the final score. I'd put it as 6.5.

My biggest issue with the film was that it was so fast paced there were times it needed to slow down, but didn't. It was fine considering the long run time. But I also felt Rey's character required a bit more explanation earlier on in the film. Even Luke was more developed in the original Star Wars.

I felt the character Finn was a bit more developed.

But some of the other touted new characters, were really hardly in the film at all.

The big film 'reveals' were expected without reading anything about the film I guessed them all -- save for perhaps one (which was expected, but just not in the way it went down).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-12-2015, 09:46 PM
(19-12-2015 09:39 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 09:13 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Yeah, but you like The Phantom Menace, so your judgment on movie quality can't be trusted. Tongue

I love them all! If there's a lightsaber involved, then I love it.

You should watch the Clone Wars and Rebels Animated T.V Series, both canon and very fun, lots of lightsabers, especially from General Krell

[Image: Krell.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
22-12-2015, 12:07 PM
I just saw it today... It was excellent, much more organic and less like an epoch - and the plot really needed this.

The characters felt more like people and less like bare archetypes like in the original. Kylo Ren's immaturity really added to the character, and the scene where he thrashes the computer console with his lightsaber only highlights the difference between him and the Darth Vader he tries to emulate.

Also, the interrogation scene between him and Rey is, in my opinion, the best demonstration in all the movies of how frightening the force actually is. The two force-users, reading each other's mind without any special effects to show it, just staring each other down for what felt like more than a minute - it was a very strong and poignant scene

However, when you notice the plot is supposed to mirror Episode IV's, it's blatantly easy to realize Han Solo is supposed to stand for Obi-Wan - which takes some strength out of the gut punch that his death is supposed to be. The hope-spot before it happens, as he tries to convince Ren to come with him (I don't know if it's only me but I swear there were tears in Kylo Ren's eyes in that scene) is simply heartwrenching especially because of this. However, from a director's standpoint, there was hardly any way to avoid it - Han, if left alive, would've completely stolen the show from the new cast, and as much as fans of the old movies (including me) would've loved that, it would've been fruitless nostalgia.

Also, didn't Kylo Ren die? He was wounded and left on a planet that imploded a few minutes later, even the Millennium Falcon barely got away. While from a narrative standpoint he would be needed as an antagonist for the next episode, his fate would take extraordinary measures to write around.

Aside from the similarity to EpIV (except they upped the scale of everything - wasn't a moon-sized space station that could blow up a planet enough?!?!), only one thing bothered me: why make up a new planet that's so similar to Tatooine when they could've used that name and nothing would've had to change? The same issue I had with EpI: why invent a new planet called Naboo when you could've just called it Alderaan and given an instant, nostalgia-fueled gut punch to the viewers?
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
22-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Finally saw it today after work.

It was good to finally see a good Star Wars movie again. Solid 8/10.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
22-12-2015, 05:48 PM
(21-12-2015 09:46 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 09:39 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I love them all! If there's a lightsaber involved, then I love it.

You should watch the Clone Wars and Rebels Animated T.V Series, both canon and very fun, lots of lightsabers, especially from General Krell

The prequels were over saturated with light sabers. So much so that the fucking toddlers had them.

Light sabers, much like special effects, were cheapened by over saturation. When every scene is green-screened, the special effects cease to be special. When the fucking toddlers have light-sabers, they cease to be special.

Episode VII makes them feel sufficiently special again, which was a nice plus.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
22-12-2015, 05:49 PM
I have no desire to see "Star Wars the Hype Awakens". I was a huge fan of the original 3 and but couldn't get past the new ones.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2015, 03:02 PM
(21-12-2015 09:46 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 09:39 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I love them all! If there's a lightsaber involved, then I love it.

Both series are very well done! I'm rewatching Clone Wars now that I'm on winter break.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post