The Force Awakens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2015, 04:07 AM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2015 04:12 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: The Force Awakens
(20-10-2015 12:51 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(20-10-2015 12:35 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Qui Gon was an entirely superfluous character. He was basically a roving drunk who made the dumbest possible decision at every moment. When he got skewered by Maul at the end because Obi Won conveniently forgot how to run super fast (like how they both did to escape the destroyer droids at the start of the movie), I didn't even care.

The roaming Hippie zen drunk who realized the truth that some idealized position is faulty and realized how to transcend life ignoring the idiotic dogma of the Jedi, sure. He found and trusted the destroyer of the Sith as well, he was wiser than any of the other Jedi or Sith leaders.

No, he was just stupid, or drunk. No

Splitting up when dropping down to Naboo? That only increases your chances of detection by 100% and leaves you alone if you're in trouble; also the possibility of being separated by hundred or thousands of miles if the transports land in different areas on the planet.

If your mission is to warn the Naboo, how does landing with the invasion force help you warn them of the impending invasion? Kind of too late at that point, isn't it?

Still intent on warning the Naboo, how does the detour to the underwater Gungan city at all help that plan? Also, they never returned the sub which they damaged, and also surfaced it right in the middle of an occupied city in broad daylight.

Once they get to Tatooine, he takes along the slow droid (who's only stated purpose being that he carries the necessary schematics, is invalidated by Qui Gon's own holo-device), the pretty and vulnerable queen, and the village idiot; while leaving behind the two most sane and able bodied people (Obi Wan and Panaka), who probably would have gotten the hypredrive by that afternoon.

He's entirely okay with trying to mind-trick Watto to get him to accept a useless currency, or to otherwise cheat at a game of chance; but simply stealing the part is somehow beyond the pale? Either way Watto is just out of the part. Was using your credits to hire transport off of Tatooine (I hear smugglers like republic credits) not an option?

Why does he take Watto at his word that he's the only person who has that particular hyper-drive? He's falling for literally one of the oldest hard-sell tricks in the book.

How come after all of this, after having used their Jedi powers to cheat Watto, does he then say they're unable to use their powers to help Amidala retake the capital?

Why does he decide to train Anakin after the kid trips multiple red flags for both him and Obi Wan? They're Jedi, trained to be really attuned to their feelings, and both of them feel uneasy about this kid.

Why after getting Anakin off world, does nobody go back and at the very least rescue his mother from bondage? (Not Qui-Gon's fault, but fuck you George Lucas!)

Jolee Bindo was a great Grey Jedi, Qui Gon Gin was just drinking too much gin the entire time.

[Image: latest?cb=20080307191840]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-10-2015, 04:17 AM
[Image: SGULb61.jpg]

There's The Empire Strikes Back and a bunch of similar movies. Number 3 is notable in that I couldn't finish watching it and wanted to punch something. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-10-2015, 09:43 AM
(20-10-2015 04:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-10-2015 12:51 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The roaming Hippie zen drunk who realized the truth that some idealized position is faulty and realized how to transcend life ignoring the idiotic dogma of the Jedi, sure. He found and trusted the destroyer of the Sith as well, he was wiser than any of the other Jedi or Sith leaders.

No, he was just stupid, or drunk. No

Splitting up when dropping down to Naboo? That only increases your chances of detection by 100% and leaves you alone if you're in trouble; also the possibility of being separated by hundred or thousands of miles if the transports land in different areas on the planet.

If your mission is to warn the Naboo, how does landing with the invasion force help you warn them of the impending invasion? Kind of too late at that point, isn't it?

Still intent on warning the Naboo, how does the detour to the underwater Gungan city at all help that plan? Also, they never returned the sub which they damaged, and also surfaced it right in the middle of an occupied city in broad daylight.

Once they get to Tatooine, he takes along the slow droid (who's only stated purpose being that he carries the necessary schematics, is invalidated by Qui Gon's own holo-device), the pretty and vulnerable queen, and the village idiot; while leaving behind the two most sane and able bodied people (Obi Wan and Panaka), who probably would have gotten the hypredrive by that afternoon.

He's entirely okay with trying to mind-trick Watto to get him to accept a useless currency, or to otherwise cheat at a game of chance; but simply stealing the part is somehow beyond the pale? Either way Watto is just out of the part. Was using your credits to hire transport off of Tatooine (I hear smugglers like republic credits) not an option?

Why does he take Watto at his word that he's the only person who has that particular hyper-drive? He's falling for literally one of the oldest hard-sell tricks in the book.

How come after all of this, after having used their Jedi powers to cheat Watto, does he then say they're unable to use their powers to help Amidala retake the capital?

Why does he decide to train Anakin after the kid trips multiple red flags for both him and Obi Wan? They're Jedi, trained to be really attuned to their feelings, and both of them feel uneasy about this kid.

Why after getting Anakin off world, does nobody go back and at the very least rescue his mother from bondage? (Not Qui-Gon's fault, but fuck you George Lucas!)

Jolee Bindo was a great Grey Jedi, Qui Gon Gin was just drinking too much gin the entire time.

[Image: latest?cb=20080307191840]

Regarding ep1-3... I could have lived with all the plot holes, inconsistency of character, dumb dialog, and excessive CG if only they had eliminated (or at least minimized) JarJar and cast decent actors in the two primary roles. I could have lived with deadpan acting and an obnoxious CG character with no depth if the story had been solid and the script deeper and more thoughtful. Had 1-3 been done right, we should have been left with a sense of connection and empathy for Anakin. That was what I wanted. I wanted to truly understand how someone could turn to the dark-side in way that made me feel like I could have made the same decisions if put in his shoes. As it stands, there was simply nothing to hang on to. He was just a brat, prideful and arrogant, with no real driver of his behavior other than "they made me real mad."

Watching ep4-6 now, the acting was average and the fx are outdated, but the story was well-written and the characters had depth and development over the course of each episode. I was just so much more emotionally invested in the characters.

Anyway, I am trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I remain cautiously optimistic that Disney can rescue this franchise and that my children will experience Star Wars ep7 the same way I experienced ep4 as a child.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
20-10-2015, 10:08 AM
The whole point of episode 1 to 3 is that it leads up to the point where Anakin walks into the Jedi palace with storm troopers and kills the young 'uns. From there on in all previous sins are forgiven. For me that's when the prequels start.
20-10-2015, 10:14 AM
I hope it's good but the last 3 didn't do much for me.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-10-2015, 10:18 AM
It's probably easier for us younguns to at least accept 1-3 since I didn't see the originals when they came out obviously. At least there are real lightsaber duels in 1-3, though yes the story and characters are not inspiring.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
20-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Episodes I & II could have been so much better if Lucas was a competent screen exec, or was willing to hire a competent screenwriter.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-10-2015, 10:57 AM
(20-10-2015 10:20 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Episodes I & II could have been so much better if Lucas was a competent screen exec, or was willing to hire a competent screenwriter.

There is a good story under all the shit in the prequels, about 2 movies worth. You could cut Ep 1 down to 20 minutes (Nothing of any importance happened in that film) and could edit Ep 2 down a bit as well. Personally I think it would have been much more interesting if Anakin and Obi-wan were not Master-Student but rival students. Luke and Leia's Mother does not need to be a major plot point across all 3 films and in fact would have been more relatable had she been just a regular person rescued by a dashing Anakin from either slavery or some horrible fate. Anakin's turn comes when it is Obi-Wan not him that is made a Master thus giving a throwback to the line from the original.

Also Palpatine never draws a lightsaber, ever. He was such a master manipulator that he overthrew the jedi without ever once directly engaging them. He needs more sycophants and we need to see him actually using the dark side to influence people. The Jedi Mind Trick should be a dark side power not something every Jedi knows and uses. It is compulsion and removes free will that is not a positive thing. Obi-wan uses it in IV because he is out of options and has slid from being a pure Jedi into more of a grey stance do to having to survive in this post Jedi universe. Luke learned it from Obi-wan and since he never had the full training, and never mentioned this to Yoda, never really learned that is was of the dark side. Palpatine on the other hand should be able to use the full version of this power since he is so strong in the dark side, show him corrupting several Senators at a time offering them power and having them mimic back at him.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-10-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm going to have to watch the episodes in order now, aren't I?

I agree episode 1 was a snore.

But I did rather like 2 and 3.

I didn't mind that abazabba was a huge plot point. She loved him. They had to explain why luke and leia were separated at the birth and why vadar was a little surprised he had a son.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-10-2015, 03:05 PM
(20-10-2015 10:57 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(20-10-2015 10:20 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Episodes I & II could have been so much better if Lucas was a competent screen exec, or was willing to hire a competent screenwriter.

There is a good story under all the shit in the prequels, about 2 movies worth. You could cut Ep 1 down to 20 minutes (Nothing of any importance happened in that film) and could edit Ep 2 down a bit as well. Personally I think it would have been much more interesting if Anakin and Obi-wan were not Master-Student but rival students. Luke and Leia's Mother does not need to be a major plot point across all 3 films and in fact would have been more relatable had she been just a regular person rescued by a dashing Anakin from either slavery or some horrible fate. Anakin's turn comes when it is Obi-Wan not him that is made a Master thus giving a throwback to the line from the original.

Also Palpatine never draws a lightsaber, ever. He was such a master manipulator that he overthrew the jedi without ever once directly engaging them. He needs more sycophants and we need to see him actually using the dark side to influence people. The Jedi Mind Trick should be a dark side power not something every Jedi knows and uses. It is compulsion and removes free will that is not a positive thing. Obi-wan uses it in IV because he is out of options and has slid from being a pure Jedi into more of a grey stance do to having to survive in this post Jedi universe. Luke learned it from Obi-wan and since he never had the full training, and never mentioned this to Yoda, never really learned that is was of the dark side. Palpatine on the other hand should be able to use the full version of this power since he is so strong in the dark side, show him corrupting several Senators at a time offering them power and having them mimic back at him.

Also, fuck midiclorians. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]