The Fork in the Road

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2013, 06:45 PM
RE: The Fork in the Road
(07-03-2013 12:55 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  But seriously, I don't argue for any particular religion because I can't make a strong argument for any particular religion.
(07-03-2013 01:05 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  We've argued pieces of it already. We've argued about how to define an evolutionary process and we've argued about the nature of those processes.
(07-03-2013 01:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Its more of an ol external intelligent agent exists argumentum.....and I will present it in good time.
(07-03-2013 03:28 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Sure I would like you to believe my ideas and arguments but I would be satisfied if you crushed them too.
The problem I have is when I put forth a definition for evolution then somebody then says use this definition of biological evolution instead. I then tell them I want to talk about all evolution not just biological evolution and they come back with "you should talk about biological evolution instead". Such behaviors tell me they are not open minded and don't want to hear what I have to say. Thats fine but if thats the case, they shouldn't say anything at all and not read the thread. An open minded person would say, "okay lets talk about a definition for all evolutionary processes"....instead I get, "Oh your resisting correction" in which they really mean, "You wrong because your veiw of evolution isn't the same as mine...and mine is right".
It appears you can't make any strong arguments for god either. If what you've posted so far contains pieces of this amazing argument, then I suggest moving on and not bothering to present it. You really think you've come up with something we haven't seen before? Oh please...

You wouldn't be fine if we crushed it, you'd ignore our battle axes smashing it to bits and continue on as if all was fine, just like in your other thread.

Want a definition for evolution that isn't inclusive to biology?

Change over time.

(07-03-2013 06:31 PM)Egor Wrote:  If you have no religion. If you won't argue for Christ, then you're just background noise. You're not a threat to atheism. They won't need to worry about you.

Maybe that's what you're trying to tell them--they don't have to worry about you. Consider

And you are a threat? Good one. Laughat

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
08-03-2013, 12:03 AM
(07-03-2013 03:28 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 02:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  Close minded, close minded he cries, the one who wants us to belieeeeeve...

Come on preacher man, you're gonna hafta do better than that.
Sure I would like you to believe my ideas and arguments but I would be satisfied if you crushed them too.
The problem I have is when I put forth a definition for evolution then somebody then says use this definition of biological evolution instead. I then tell them I want to talk about all evolution not just biological evolution and they come back with "you should talk about biological evolution instead". Such behaviors tell me they are not open minded and don't want to hear what I have to say. Thats fine but if thats the case, they shouldn't say anything at all and not read the thread. An open minded person would say, "okay lets talk about a definition for all evolutionary processes"....instead I get, "Oh your resisting correction" in which they really mean, "You wrong because your veiw of evolution isn't the same as mine...and mine is right".
But... look here's my issue. You should post reasons why your view is correct then, instead of whining about close-mindedness. We can judge easily who's playing silly buggers. Of course you can prove anything you like about evolution if you use a carefully selected, carefully worded view that *suits your argument*, the question is, does that view represent the actual theory of evolution that matches the facts, makes predictions etc, or is it a strawman. So if you really would be satisfied if your argument was crushed, first justify your definition, and if you can't justify it, then it's useless. You can't just declare that some things are off limits to criticize by fiat...
08-03-2013, 12:20 AM

(07-03-2013 06:40 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Egor, shutting theists down.

Where's my popcorn?

Who cares about theists? Satan is a theist.
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 12:27 AM

(07-03-2013 06:45 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  And you are a threat? Good one. Laughat

Yeah, I am. That's why you won't come over to my forum. You need to be here where you have safety in numbers.

Look, this is all a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Atheism isn't about God--it's about Christ. That's why you rarely, if ever, hear atheists going on about Islam, or Buddhism, or Hinduism--all of which are far more fundamentalistic in their societies than Christianity is in ours--at least until Veridicans take over.

You don't care about those religions because they are not a threat. Jesus Christ is a threat--because he said it like it is, and he doesn't allow for what you want.

Take Jesus out of theism and you guys have no problem with it. Look at KC's rep points. Take religion out of it, and you know as well as I do, there's nothing left to talk about.
08-03-2013, 12:32 AM
(08-03-2013 12:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 03:28 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Sure I would like you to believe my ideas and arguments but I would be satisfied if you crushed them too.
But... look here's my issue. You should post reasons why your view is correct then, instead of whining about close-mindedness. We can judge easily who's playing silly buggers. Of course you can prove anything you like about evolution if you use a carefully selected, carefully worded view that *suits your argument*, the question is, does that view represent the actual theory of evolution that matches the facts, makes predictions etc, or is it a strawman. So if you really would be satisfied if your argument was crushed, first justify your definition, and if you can't justify it, then it's useless. You can't just declare that some things are off limits to criticize by fiat...
I think Ghost did an good job of showing my definition of evolution to be substantially correct. Did you read what he had to say? I noticed a lot of people shut up after Ghost got involved in the thread. And really there was never a whole lot of criticism about it anyways, most people were complaining because I wouldn't use their definition.
The whole point of starting the defining evolution thread was in the hope that an acceptible definition could be hammered out ahead of time so I couldn't be accused of making a straw man argument.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
08-03-2013, 12:39 AM
egor Wrote:So, who cares then if God exists? Seriously. If there is no religion. If there is no Christ. If there is no plan or purpose for mankind, then why bother with God? If he's not bothered with us, then knowing He exists is just some factoid like lactose is the main sugar in milk.

I never claimed there is no religion or that there is no plan or purpose for mankind. I only claimed I could not make a good argument for any religion....so I won't.

08-03-2013, 12:47 AM
(08-03-2013 12:27 AM)Egor Wrote:  Atheism isn't about God--it's about Christ. That's why you rarely, if ever, hear atheists going on about Islam, or Buddhism, or Hinduism.

Wrong.

You've got your geographic blinders on. Most atheists in the U.S. "go on" about Christianity because 70% of the country is Christian. You're in the U.S. so you mostly hear those atheists. They start and contribute to atheist websites and forums, so you mostly hear them "going on" online, too.

If you lived in Afghanistan, you'd mostly hear atheists "going on" about Islam. If you lived in India, you'd mostly hear atheists "going on" about Hinduism. Etc.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
08-03-2013, 12:53 AM

(08-03-2013 12:39 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I never claimed there is no religion or that there is no plan or purpose for mankind. I only claimed I could not make a good argument for any religion....so I won't.

Guess what? God doesn't require your assistance. If you aren't in Christ, you're noise.

Maybe you'll get some rep points the more cozy you become with your atheist pals.

Edit: That was an assholish thing for me to say. Sorry.
08-03-2013, 12:55 AM
(08-03-2013 12:47 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Wrong.

You've got your geographic blinders on. Most atheists in the U.S. "go on" about Christianity because 70% of the country is Christian. You're in the U.S. so you mostly hear those atheists. They start and contribute to atheist websites and forums, so you mostly hear them "going on" online, too.

If you lived in Afghanistan, you'd mostly hear atheists "going on" about Islam. If you lived in India, you'd mostly hear atheists "going on" about Hinduism. Etc.

I suspect that in Afghanistan vocal athiests end up with extra holes in their heads.

[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
08-03-2013, 12:56 AM
[Image: Hbde9Ws.gif]

/thread

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post