The Fork in the Road

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2013, 08:56 AM
RE: The Fork in the Road
"~arrogant scientists~"

Shocking

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 09:11 AM by GirlyMan.)
(08-03-2013 08:56 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "~arrogant scientists~"

Shocking

The best scientists are the most humble people you will ever meet. The arrogant ones are invariably wannabes. That's probably true of people in general I'd wager.

"This man, on one hand, believes that he knows something, while not knowing anything. On the other hand, I – equally ignorant – do not believe that I know anything." - Socrates per Plato's Apology

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
08-03-2013, 09:09 AM
(08-03-2013 09:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Shocking

The best scientists are the most humble people you will ever meet. The arrogant ones are invariably wannabes. That's probably true of people in general I'd wager.

"This man, on one hand, believes that he knows something, while not knowing anything. On the other hand, I – equally ignorant – do not believe that I know anything." - Plato

Yep. I see this in high-tech all the time. Then add the marketing-engineering conflict and things get truly ugly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
08-03-2013, 09:10 AM
(08-03-2013 09:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Shocking

"This man, on one hand, believes that he knows something, while not knowing anything. On the other hand, I – equally ignorant – do not believe that I know anything." - Plato
I don't disagree with you brother. Maybe I missed something but I thought your response was in regard to the theist in the text you quoted.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
08-03-2013, 09:14 AM
(08-03-2013 09:10 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 09:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The best scientists are the most humble people you will ever meet. The arrogant ones are invariably wannabes. That's probably true of people in general I'd wager.

I don't disagree with you brother. Maybe I missed something but I thought your response was in regard to the theist in the text you quoted.

Yeah, you missed the fact that Ego® ain't no fucking scientist. Far from it. Big Grin

08-03-2013, 09:16 AM
(08-03-2013 09:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The best scientists are the most humble people you will ever meet.
Carl Sagan is a great example of that. Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-03-2013, 09:18 AM
(08-03-2013 09:14 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 09:10 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I don't disagree with you brother. Maybe I missed something but I thought your response was in regard to the theist in the text you quoted.

Yeah, you missed the fact that Ego® ain't no fucking scientist. Far from it. Big Grin
Well, I never had that delusion. My error was in thinking you were referring to him as a scientist. But I deserve it for responding to a thread that I've not been reading in its entirety.

With that said... I'm done with your Sumo wrestler, banana hammock, diaper thingy so if I return it can I borrow your dunce cap?

[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
08-03-2013, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 09:50 AM by GirlyMan.)
(08-03-2013 09:18 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 09:14 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yeah, you missed the fact that Ego® ain't no fucking scientist. Far from it. Big Grin
Well, I never had that delusion. My error was in thinking you were referring to him as a scientist. But I deserve it for responding to a thread that I've not been reading in its entirety.

With that said... I'm done with your Sumo wrestler, banana hammock, diaper thingy so if I return it can I borrow your dunce cap?

Did you wash it first? ... Not that it was clean when you borrowed it or anything, but somebody's gotta wash it eventually and ManlyGirl refuses to let it anywhere near her washing machine.

(08-03-2013 09:16 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 09:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The best scientists are the most humble people you will ever meet.
Carl Sagan is a great example of that. Yes

All the world-class ones I've met are. Not only don't they patronize me, I never even get a whiff of condescension as they go out of their way to bring the cookies down to lower and lower shelves until I can at least grasp the basic concept all the while never exhibiting even the slightest hint of frustration that I'll never be able to grasp the details.

I read that Feynman could be quite the prick, though. But, unlike Ego®, he really didn't know what he was doing. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-03-2013, 09:34 AM
(08-03-2013 09:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 09:18 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Well, I never had that delusion. My error was in thinking you were referring to him as a scientist. But I deserve it for responding to a thread that I've not been reading in its entirety.

Did you wash it first? ... Not that it was clean when you borrowed it or anything, but somebody's gotta wash it eventually and ManlyGirl refuses to let it anywhere near her washing machine.
I can't really say I washed it... but it did get wet.

[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
08-03-2013, 09:53 AM
(08-03-2013 09:34 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 09:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Did you wash it first? ... Not that it was clean when you borrowed it or anything, but somebody's gotta wash it eventually and ManlyGirl refuses to let it anywhere near her washing machine.
I can't really say I washed it... but it did get wet.

Hobo If you promise not to return it you can have my dunce cap. I've got more.

[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post