The Fork in the Road

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2013, 03:54 PM
RE: The Fork in the Road
(08-03-2013 03:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  What does "poe" mean? The only thing I can think of is "person of education".

Wikipedia Wrote:Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe, is an Internet adage reflecting the idea that without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

Urban Dictionary Wrote:A person who writes a parody of a fundamentalist that is mistaken for the real thing. Due to Poe's Law, it is almost impossible to tell if a person is a Poe unless they admit to it.
Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poe

You're welcome. Smartass

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
08-03-2013, 03:57 PM
(08-03-2013 03:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The nic was an attempt at comedy, nothing more than that.

Bad comedy. You get no credibility for it, it just makes you look like the worst kind of troll.

(08-03-2013 03:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  What does "poe" mean? The only thing I can think of is "person of education".

It's a reference to Poe's Law - the word "poe" is used as a noun to mean anyone who is parodying a behavior, but specifically with regard to religion where the term originated. Egor is saying that you're an atheist and your whole trollish act here is just your attempt at parody, pretending not to be an atheist for your own entertainment, no doubt.

The key to it is that people doing these parodies usually go overboard, acting as stupid as they can to make their parody more extreme, but it is still indistinguishable from actual religious people because often they are, or at least appear, extremely stupid when, particularly when they're defending their religion.

Poe's Law

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
08-03-2013, 03:58 PM
(08-03-2013 03:53 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 03:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You don't have calling people out for misbehavior under control. Chas shouldn't have called Egor an asshole and you shouldn't have called him a prick. Tossing out insults is the weakminded approach and as far as I can tell neither you nor Chas are weak minded.....so why engage in it? Leave the insult throwing to the morons.

Because it is the only way to engage Egor on his level.
You can say everything of substance that you want to say to a person without interjecting an insult. You might have to give them a good slap in the face first, but you never have to insult them.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
08-03-2013, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 04:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-03-2013 03:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 03:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We got the calling out shit of him under control, Hayseed, forgiving him in public reeks of ostentatious week-old fish to me.

You don't have calling people out for misbehavior under control. Chas shouldn't have called Egor an asshole and you shouldn't have called him a prick. Tossing out insults is the weakminded approach and as far as I can tell neither you nor Chas are weak minded.....so why engage in it? Leave the insult throwing to the morons.

The fuck I shouldn't have and the fuck Chas shouldn't have. We will both goddam call it as we fucking see it. This ain't the motherfucking WorthyChristianForums. And if you can't see the value of a well-deserved insult versus the fallacy of an ad hominem you should probably get the fuck out now.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-03-2013, 04:05 PM
(08-03-2013 03:54 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

' Wrote:Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe, is an Internet adage reflecting the idea that without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

Urban Dictionary Wrote:A person who writes a parody of a fundamentalist that is mistaken for the real thing. Due to Poe's Law, it is almost impossible to tell if a person is a Poe unless they admit to it.
Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poe

You're welcome. Smartass
Thanks....I am not a poe atheist. I believe and pray to God

08-03-2013, 04:09 PM
(08-03-2013 02:46 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 02:30 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  ......all BlowMe is doing is throwing the term around to try to put himself on a high-ground pedestal, he doesn't really mean it; it's just one facet of his trolling. So maybe there's nothing to learn here.

There is indeed a lesson to be learned here Aseptic Skeptic. Forgiving people is not trolling nor is calling someone out for their misbehavior.

No, if you were actually forgiving someone for their transgression, you would do it privately. I forgive people for things all the time, but when I do, I tell that person in private, or don't tell them at all in some cases. But you're not being private about it. Instead, you're publicly proclaiming your forgiveness for the world to see as if you expect some kind of reward or expect us all to bow down to your magnanimous generosity or something.

Further, you call out the nitpickiest of details to "forgive" people for and specifically go to the lengths of quoting those details in your public forgiving posts. This is not done to forgive, but to chastise the person to whom you're calling attention. And yes, since you're so public about it, you're definitely calling attention to them, and you know it.

What you're really doing is saying something like "Hey, Joe, when you called me a lying douchebag your behavior was rude and irritating. That's bad. You shouldn't be rude and irritating. You're a bad person. But I'm a better person than you so I will forgive you for this specific instance of you calling me a lying douchebag. Hey everybody, look at what a small, bad person Joe is and what a great big wonderful person I am for forgiving him."

That's what you're really saying.

It's pompous, sanctimonious, insincere, and unctuous. And you're a lying douchebag.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
08-03-2013, 04:10 PM
(08-03-2013 03:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The fuck I shouldn't have and the fuck Chas shouldn't have. We will both goddam call it as we fucking see it. This ain't the motherfucking WorthyChristianForums. And if you can't see the value of a well-deserved insult versus the fallacy of an ad hominem you probably should get the fuck out now.

The only value I can see in throwing an insult is that it makes you feel good(at the expense of making you look weak minded). Insults don't advance the conversation.

08-03-2013, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 04:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
oops ...

08-03-2013, 04:15 PM
(08-03-2013 04:09 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 02:46 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  There is indeed a lesson to be learned here Aseptic Skeptic. Forgiving people is not trolling nor is calling someone out for their misbehavior.

No, if you were actually forgiving someone for their transgression, you would do it privately. I forgive people for things all the time, but when I do, I tell that person in private, or don't tell them at all in some cases. But you're not being private about it. Instead, you're publicly proclaiming your forgiveness for the world to see as if you expect some kind of reward or expect us all to bow down to your magnanimous generosity or something.

Further, you call out the nitpickiest of details to "forgive" people for and specifically go to the lengths of quoting those details in your public forgiving posts. This is not done to forgive, but to chastise the person to whom you're calling attention. And yes, since you're so public about it, you're definitely calling attention to them, and you know it.

What you're really doing is saying something like "Hey, Joe, when you called me a lying douchebag your behavior was rude and irritating. That's bad. You shouldn't be rude and irritating. You're a bad person. But I'm a better person than you so I will forgive you for this specific instance of you calling me a lying douchebag. Hey everybody, look at what a small, bad person Joe is and what a great big wonderful person I am for forgiving him."

That's what you're really saying.

It's pompous, sanctimonious, insincere, and unctuous. And you're a lying douchebag.

I forgive you for calling me a lying douchebag.
I've tried to forgive and call out people via pms before and it isn't effective at raising the level of the conversation. Publically forgiving them is much more effective at curtailing weak minded behavior without actually having to insult them back.

08-03-2013, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 05:02 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-03-2013 04:15 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I forgive you for calling me a lying douchebag.

Would you forgive me if I asked "Hey would ya blow me." ... Fucking trolls. Now I really should make you blow me. You'd like it, I'd make sure you'd say you liked it and that it was entirely consensual, fucking troll bitch.

[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post