The Fork in the Road

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2013, 04:31 PM
RE: The Fork in the Road
(08-03-2013 04:15 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 04:09 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  No, if you were actually forgiving someone for their transgression, you would do it privately. I forgive people for things all the time, but when I do, I tell that person in private, or don't tell them at all in some cases. But you're not being private about it. Instead, you're publicly proclaiming your forgiveness for the world to see as if you expect some kind of reward or expect us all to bow down to your magnanimous generosity or something.

Further, you call out the nitpickiest of details to "forgive" people for and specifically go to the lengths of quoting those details in your public forgiving posts. This is not done to forgive, but to chastise the person to whom you're calling attention. And yes, since you're so public about it, you're definitely calling attention to them, and you know it.

What you're really doing is saying something like "Hey, Joe, when you called me a lying douchebag your behavior was rude and irritating. That's bad. You shouldn't be rude and irritating. You're a bad person. But I'm a better person than you so I will forgive you for this specific instance of you calling me a lying douchebag. Hey everybody, look at what a small, bad person Joe is and what a great big wonderful person I am for forgiving him."

That's what you're really saying.

It's pompous, sanctimonious, insincere, and unctuous. And you're a lying douchebag.

I forgive you for calling me a lying douchebag.
I've tried to forgive and call out people via pms before and it isn't effective at raising the level of the conversation. Publically forgiving them is much more effective at curtailing weak minded behavior without actually having to insult them back.

But it is insulting. You're basically telling me that you're a superior person, that I'm inferior, and inviting the whole world (or at least the little bit of it that spends time here reading posts) to see how great you are and how puny I am.

You know it and I know it, therefore, when you do it you are being insulting. You can (and do) pretend you're taking the high road and not using insulting language, but you're still being insulting. Every bit as insulting as if you called me a douchebag too.

The funny thing is, I know I'm insulting you and I'm not pretending otherwise. I called you a lying douchebag and left that out there, honestly, for anyone to see. You know you're insulting me, but you pretend you're not and try to convince everyone of your superior behavior, but nobody is buying it; everyone sees you write that and knows exactly what a big sanctimonious douchebag you're being, and lying about it only makes it worse.

So again, I say stop pretending to be something you're not, stop trolling, and try contributing to the forum. Oddly enough, despite your trollish douchebaginess, you seem to be a fairly smart and perceptive person. I don't know why you're so damaged that you think the only way you can interact with people is by being a troll and a douchebag on the internet - I suspect that if you had come in here honestly, without the douchebag attitude, and posted interesting posts worth discussing, if you had done that, people would have liked you and responded to you. Instead you do this crap, and you get responses, and you probably enjoy the negativity because you're damaged enough that you expect and maybe even crave it. It's a sad waste of a person who might otherwise have been valued in any community, online or otherwise, if he'd only bothered to relate to the community with honesty and respect.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
08-03-2013, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 07:21 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(08-03-2013 04:31 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 04:15 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I forgive you for calling me a lying douchebag.
I've tried to forgive and call out people via pms before and it isn't effective at raising the level of the conversation. Publically forgiving them is much more effective at curtailing weak minded behavior without actually having to insult them back.

But it is insulting. You're basically telling me that you're a superior person, that I'm inferior, and inviting the whole world (or at least the little bit of it that spends time here reading posts) to see how great you are and how puny I am.

You know it and I know it, therefore, when you do it you are being insulting. You can (and do) pretend you're taking the high road and not using insulting language, but you're still being insulting. Every bit as insulting as if you called me a douchebag too.

The funny thing is, I know I'm insulting you and I'm not pretending otherwise. I called you a lying douchebag and left that out there, honestly, for anyone to see. You know you're insulting me, but you pretend you're not and try to convince everyone of your superior behavior, but nobody is buying it; everyone sees you write that and knows exactly what a big sanctimonious douchebag you're being, and lying about it only makes it worse.

So again, I say stop pretending to be something you're not, stop trolling, and try contributing to the forum. Oddly enough, despite your trollish douchebaginess, you seem to be a fairly smart and perceptive person. I don't know why you're so damaged that you think the only way you can interact with people is by being a troll and a douchebag on the internet - I suspect that if you had come in here honestly, without the douchebag attitude, and posted interesting posts worth discussing, if you had done that, people would have liked you and responded to you. Instead you do this crap, and you get responses, and you probably enjoy the negativity because you're damaged enough that you expect and maybe even crave it. It's a sad waste of a person who might otherwise have been valued in any community, online or otherwise, if he'd only bothered to relate to the community with honesty and respect.

I am not claiming I am superior to you, but I will claim my behavior is superior to yours.

What's funny is if what you say is true(it isn't but you think it is), then you're all butthurt simply because I "insult" better than you. You mad because while you can dish it out....you can't take it. Don't you see the hypocrisy of your thinking here?

And if you don't want me to "insult" you. If you don't like it. Don't insult me....Whining isn't the solution.

Last, to set the record straight, I am bothered that I have such a negative rating. I don't enjoy being called names, and I don't enjoy all the negativity.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
08-03-2013, 07:27 PM
(08-03-2013 07:15 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 04:31 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  But it is insulting. You're basically telling me that you're a superior person, that I'm inferior, and inviting the whole world (or at least the little bit of it that spends time here reading posts) to see how great you are and how puny I am.

I am not claiming I am superior to you, but I will claim my behavior is superior to yours.
What's funny is if what you say is true(it isn't but you think it is), then you're all butthurt simply because I insult better than you. You mad because while you can dish it out....you can't take it. Don't you see thy hypocrisy of thinking here?
Last, to set the record straight, I am bothered that I have such a negative rating. I don't enjoy being called names, and I don't enjoy all the negativity.

Pissing contest, this is. Who's madder at who? Who's better than who? In what way? Oh, so many possibilities NEXT! ON: PISSING CONTEST IN YOUR OWN MIND!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
08-03-2013, 07:29 PM
(08-03-2013 07:15 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Last, to set the record straight, I am bothered that I have such a negative rating.

I'll rep you troll.

(08-03-2013 07:15 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't enjoy being called names, and I don't enjoy all the negativity.

What the fuck you doing here then?

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-03-2013, 10:26 PM

(08-03-2013 04:09 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  What you're really doing is saying something like "Hey, Joe, when you called me a lying douchebag your behavior was rude and irritating. That's bad. You shouldn't be rude and irritating. You're a bad person. But I'm a better person than you so I will forgive you for this specific instance of you calling me a lying douchebag. Hey everybody, look at what a small, bad person Joe is and what a great big wonderful person I am for forgiving him."

That's what you're really saying.

Well said.

And yes, I did choke on my own saliva when I realize I agreed with something you wrote.
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 12:34 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(08-03-2013 10:26 PM)Egor Wrote:  Well said.

And yes, I did choke on my own saliva when I realize I agreed with something you wrote.

Back in the old days(and by old I mean last week) you would have choked on your own vomit. The fact that you only choked on your own saliva might be a sign that you are heeding God's word and beginning to love atheists.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
09-03-2013, 02:21 AM
(08-03-2013 11:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 10:26 PM)Egor Wrote:  Well said.

Back in the old days(and by old I mean last week) you would have choked on your own vomit. The fact that you only choked on your own saliva might be a sign that you are heeding God's word and beginning to love atheists.

[Image: naughty_memes_shit_just_got_real-s500x357-175800.jpg]

Goddamnit, where is my popcorn....

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]