The Fortune Cookie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2011, 11:39 PM

The Fortune Cookie
I am not a superstitious person at all and don't believe in things like fortune cookies!

My University is starting a student-run Biology Student Association, and they're looking for some students to fill executive positions for the next school year. I'm not exactly a leader; I usually follow and go with the flow. But this year, I was thinking about getting out of my comfort zone, and at least try to apply and see what happens. Getting one of those positions is a great opportunity, especially since I'm planning on going to Graduate School. Today I went to a meeting, and I hesitantly took an application form. As I was walking to class with the form in one hand, I passed by a booth set up for environmental awareness week and they gave me a fortune cookie. I opened it and it said 'Soon, your leadership will shine through'. It was an odd coincidence, but it was enough to motivate me to apply for the position. Honestly, I won't be heartbroken if I don't get it, but I applied for it and that is what counts.

Maybe fortune cookies aren't so bad. I just wanted to share my story. Do something you've been afraid to do, or at least try.. it's quite empowering Big Grin

What's something you've been hesitant to do or try?
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2011, 02:13 AM
RE: The Fortune Cookie
Stepping out of your comfort zone increases the size or that zone. It enhances your sense of freedom. As for the fortune cookie, there are always things that come our way, some come at times when we are making decisions and seem to be telling us something. These coincidences create nice atmospheres and give us some extra feeling towards the subject. When something coming our way doesn't match anything pertinent in our lives at that moment it is forgotten because there is no feeling that is associated with it.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone - I hope you get the position.

Well , fortune cookies and prophecies , horoscopes etc. are usually vague and can apply in random situations. I think this is a false pattern you are noticing. I get the same feeling when things go my way or not.

I've been hesitant to go on a diet a long time , and managed to last year - I lost 30 pounds got depressed and now I'm trying again for another 30 pounds.

I want atheist fortune cookies that all read : "You don't believe in me ! " Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
19-03-2011, 07:07 AM
You don't believe in me in bed? that's a horrible fortune cookie. Words of encouragement are nice from whatever source they come. There's nothing demonstrably horrible about a piece of paper saying a nice thing to someone. So yes look at it as a wonderful coincidence that helped you strive for more, because the cookie doesn't have to be true in order to inspire you to make your own luck.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
19-03-2011, 11:04 AM
@Lilith

I was being sarcastic.
I'd say that was the perfect atheist fortune cookie , one that says : "No matter what supernatural advice I give you are too bright to fall for it" - there , it's re-phrased to be positive.

Quote:You don't believe in me in bed?
I said
Quote:"You don't believe in me !
Where did the "bed" part come from ???

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
19-03-2011, 12:28 PM
It's a common joking thing to do with fortune cookies. You add in bed to the phrase and enjoy the results around the table. I wasn't saying what you wrote was bad, just that it doesn't work at all with the in bed game. So a joke within a joke.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
19-03-2011, 12:41 PM
So; ''Soon, your leadership in bed will shine through''?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
19-03-2011, 12:46 PM
No, "soon your leadership will shine through in bed". You put the "in bed" after the entire phrase. The way English works it's doable. And sometimes leads to really awkward statements. This is basically a game for a group going and eating together.

You made the right statement, but when dealing with English there's no need to move the "in bed".

19-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks, I'll remember that the next time I'm having a fortune cookie with an Englishman.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
19-03-2011, 01:35 PM

I'll have to try out that game next time I go out for Chinese Big Grin

My friends said 'You appreciate the beauty around you'... in bed? XD
Quote this message in a reply