The Foundations Of Our Faith.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2016, 09:24 AM
RE: The Foundations Of Our Faith.
(06-12-2016 06:17 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 06:08 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You attempt to limit "faith" to a single meaning/usage. Fuck you.

Faith has many meanings, it would be very insolent of me to only attach one definition to the word. If you can not distinguish between the definitions that is not my fault but your own lack of understanding for the english vocabulary.

Yep, and you went with one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2016, 10:16 AM
(06-12-2016 09:22 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  There's a difference between having "faith" meaning an inclination towards the hope that everything will turn out for the best, and having A FAITH, meaning a belief that the actions and motivations of a supreme being determine the outcomes of human affairs.

This point has completely eluded him throughout his time here.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2016, 10:28 AM
It must be the first few weeks of his "big people" brain. Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2016, 11:09 AM
(06-12-2016 09:22 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  There's a difference between having "faith" meaning an inclination towards the hope that everything will turn out for the best, and having A FAITH, meaning a belief that the actions and motivations of a supreme being determine the outcomes of human affairs.

This ^ ^ ^

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-12-2016, 04:28 PM
(06-12-2016 05:58 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  All of you have faith. Not in the government no, but of something much more biblical.

Oh goodie, he's going to tell us what we think. I love this part. Drinking Beverage

Have you considered the possibility that you're simply wrong?

As for faith, which one of us is prone to believe things in the absence of or contrary to the evidence?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
06-12-2016, 04:37 PM
(06-12-2016 05:58 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  All of you have faith. Not in the government no, but of something much more biblical.

By 'biblical' do you mean 'primal'?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
06-12-2016, 04:45 PM
(06-12-2016 04:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

By 'biblical' do you mean 'primal'?

That's what I was thinking. In the South, we use the phrase "Biblically" to refer to another phrase, "He knew her..." "...Biblically.", in reference to Genesis 4:1.

But yeah, CW, you just lost all respect I ever might have hoped to have for you.

You can fuck right off with that whole martyr complex, "You all react badly to what I say because there's something wrong with you", passive-aggressive, equivocating bullshit.

As my Drill Instructor once quipped, "If everyone else seems to be marching out of step, it's probably you."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-12-2016, 05:15 PM
(06-12-2016 04:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  As my Drill Instructor once quipped, "If everyone else seems to be marching out of step, it's probably you."

What is the one common element in all of your failures?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
06-12-2016, 05:26 PM
(06-12-2016 04:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 04:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  By 'biblical' do you mean 'primal'?

That's what I was thinking. In the South, we use the phrase "Biblically" to refer to another phrase, "He knew her..." "...Biblically.", in reference to Genesis 4:1.

I have a vague recollection of someone yelling "Stay right there or I'm gonna go all biblical on your ass!" just before running.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-12-2016, 06:59 PM
(06-12-2016 05:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 04:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's what I was thinking. In the South, we use the phrase "Biblically" to refer to another phrase, "He knew her..." "...Biblically.", in reference to Genesis 4:1.

I have a vague recollection of someone yelling "Stay right there or I'm gonna go all biblical on your ass!" just before running.

Yeah, that was probably a Good Idea™.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson