The Foundations Of Our Faith.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2016, 07:03 PM
RE: The Foundations Of Our Faith.
(06-12-2016 09:22 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  There's a difference between having "faith" meaning an inclination towards the hope that everything will turn out for the best, and having A FAITH, meaning a belief that the actions and motivations of a supreme being determine the outcomes of human affairs.

I'm glad someone finally got it.

(06-12-2016 10:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  This point has completely eluded him throughout his time here.

Eluded me or you?

If a person believes that the actions and motivations of a supreme being determine the outcomes of human affairs and that supreme being is supposed to be benevolent THEN they'll have an inclination towards the hope that everything will turn out for the best. Ergo, your faith is the same! Not on the former, but certainly on the latter.

People will always be more hostile when you try and strip them of their fantasy world.

(06-12-2016 09:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 05:58 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  All of you have faith. Not in the government no, but of something much more biblical.

But you haven't said what that is. Care to tell us what "faith" is, and what it is we (irrationally) "believe" in ?

If you read onwards you would have learned what I was talking about, and that I did indeed pinpoint the area where I believe your faith lays.

Quote:Not necessarily. Just your bias and prejudice. The Bible is a set of ancient Near Eastern texts. There's nothing to prove or disprove. We know what we know.

Are you mentally ill ? Seriously.
It appears from your writing, you are unable to maintain and communicate a coherent thought.

People often have a hard time understanding a genius.

(06-12-2016 04:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 05:58 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  All of you have faith. Not in the government no, but of something much more biblical.

By 'biblical' do you mean 'primal'?

Biblical

of or in the Bible:
a Biblical name.

in accord with the Bible.

evocative of or suggesting the Bible or Biblical times, especially in size or extent:

I like to think I used two of the definitions in one, but if I had to choose one it would be the third definition. Relating particularly to the size and extent of the bible. Humanism, is something much greater than the government and like the bible (or the teachings thereof) has spread to all corners of the world.

Similarly, humanism is in accord with the New Testament. At least on some levels.

(06-12-2016 04:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's what I was thinking. In the South, we use the phrase "Biblically" to refer to another phrase, "He knew her..." "...Biblically.", in reference to Genesis 4:1.

But yeah, CW, you just lost all respect I ever might have hoped to have for you.

You can fuck right off with that whole martyr complex, "You all react badly to what I say because there's something wrong with you", passive-aggressive, equivocating bullshit.

As my Drill Instructor once quipped, "If everyone else seems to be marching out of step, it's probably you."

Baseless accusations! I did not have sexual relations with that martyr!

On a more serious note I believe you might be projecting your feelings unto my post. I'm not trying to come off as a martyr or passive aggressive, or for that matter equivocating.

When I was writing the original post I was more or less having a eureka feeling while simultaneously having the feeling of being very tired.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2016, 07:08 PM
You think that this board isn't packed with people whose IQs qualify them as literal geniuses? (Hint: I'm one, and I know I'm not the smartest here, by a long shot.)

You think that we find you difficult to understand?

Holy shit are you delusional.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
06-12-2016, 07:20 PM
(06-12-2016 07:08 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You think that this board isn't packed with people whose IQs qualify them as literal geniuses? (Hint: I'm one, and I know I'm not the smartest here, by a long shot.)

You think that we find you difficult to understand?

Holy shit are you delusional.

See this is why I don't try to joke, because people take it seriously.

[Image: 18mesa.jpg]

I mean really? Really Rocket I mean really? You need to be a feather and lighten up.
06-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Quote:People often have a hard time understanding a genius.

Actually most of those with a genius IQ level, such as RocketSurgeon, also have a wonderful ability to make themselves easily understood even by those less gifted. There definitely are a couple of forum members, possibly with a high IQ, who have a difficult time communicating their thoughts because they apparently lack some basic social skills. Cough c w Cough.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
06-12-2016, 08:11 PM
(06-12-2016 08:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
Quote:People often have a hard time understanding a genius.

Actually most of those with a genius IQ level, such as RocketSurgeon, also have a wonderful ability to make themselves easily understood even by those less gifted. There definitely are a couple of forum members, possibly with a high IQ, who have a difficult time communicating their thoughts because they apparently lack some basic social skills. Cough c w Cough.

I will fully admit I grew up quite the introvert. Social skills have never been my strong suit >.>
06-12-2016, 08:22 PM
(06-12-2016 07:03 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  If a person believes that the actions and motivations of a supreme being determine the outcomes of human affairs and that supreme being is supposed to be benevolent THEN they'll have an inclination towards the hope that everything will turn out for the best. Ergo, your faith is the same! Not on the former, but certainly on the latter.

A non sequitur if ever there was one. You have IN NO WAY established your idiotic premise, or that it applies here.

Fuck off.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-12-2016, 09:19 PM
(06-12-2016 08:11 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 08:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Actually most of those with a genius IQ level, such as RocketSurgeon, also have a wonderful ability to make themselves easily understood even by those less gifted. There definitely are a couple of forum members, possibly with a high IQ, who have a difficult time communicating their thoughts because they apparently lack some basic social skills. Cough c w Cough.

I will fully admit I grew up quite the introvert. Social skills have never been my strong suit >.>

Um.

No surprise there.

Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-12-2016, 10:16 PM
(06-12-2016 07:03 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 10:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  This point has completely eluded him throughout his time here.

Eluded me or you?

Just eluded you again.

(06-12-2016 09:14 AM)‘Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 07:03 PM)‘Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Are you mentally ill ? Seriously.
It appears from your writing, you are unable to maintain and communicate a coherent thought.

People often have a hard time understanding a genius.

Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-12-2016, 12:51 AM
@Celestial Wonder

Could you please describe how a "humanist extremist" would behave (or believe) as opposed to a "normal humanist"?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
07-12-2016, 01:41 AM
(07-12-2016 12:51 AM)epronovost Wrote:  @Celestial Wonder

Could you please describe how a "humanist extremist" would behave (or believe) as opposed to a "normal humanist"?

When humanism goes to far, people start demanding that people who commit heinous crimes be kept alive no matter how heinous the crime was.

As for how they behave I would imagine a lot like all other people who have unwarranted faith in something that they believe out of a desire or need to believe rather than being the most logical choice. Not that their choice isn't logical, but I question it being the most logical.