The Freedom Caucus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 01:15 PM
RE: The Freedom Caucus
(27-03-2017 11:25 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 11:20 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Presumably you're referring to Murikan Conservatives.

It's a cultural irony-deficiency.

Everyone else knows that "freedom" is synonymous with 'liberal'.

Angel
Of course I am, wait...there's other countries?

None worth talking about. Drinking Beverage

*ducks for cover*
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
27-03-2017, 01:21 PM
(27-03-2017 12:48 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 11:16 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Conservatives love throwing around the term "freedom" with no idea on what it means.

They all have read and understood George Orwell. They just took the wrong lesson from reading him.

They've read the book and come out the other side saying, "SO many great ideas!"
27-03-2017, 02:00 PM
(27-03-2017 12:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
More than once I've heard a GOP member say that it is much easier to say no than to lead and govern. Yeah, who would have thunked?

Which just goes to show that whoever said that was not conservative.

The most effective survival model for an organism or a superstructure is to lean towards low-risk conservatism to inhibit the high-risk explorer-tendencies... but not to remain so changeless so as to become sterile or to stagnate.

It's two sides of the Chaos/Order equation (Yin-Yang) and the trick, of course, is to maintain a shifting balance between the two as the environment changes.

[Image: 1478621-yinyang-symbol-from-peanuts-in-b...-white.jpg]

I find it somewhat amusing that the first paragraph of the article doesn't get this.

They mention the delight of the Progressives (change, openness, overt, Yang) but then immediately quote a stereotypical conservative (risk-averse, concealed, covert, Yin):

Quote:The roar of progressive cheering on social media is deafening in the wake of the GOP's failure to pass the American Health Care Act (AHCA). Hillary Clinton tweeted, "today was a victory for all Americans."

This bit is on the right (no pun intended) track:

Quote:They sound conservative, they act conservative, and they represent conservative districts, but the House Freedom Caucus is an enemy of conservatism.

They are the enemy of conservatism when the status quo is pro-social.

So what is this Freedom Caucus if not conservative?

They favour the individual over the social, in the "Fuck you, I'm alright" sense. But they are a group of co-ordinated individuals ... which seems oxymoronic until you realise that there's a word for that... Barbarian. Not in the sense of being uncultured but of being anti-civilisation.

Civilisation imposes restrictions (both hard and soft i.e. both regulatory and informal social contract) on the individuals in a community as a trade-off for security and harmonious co-existence.

In that regard, barbarism could be viewed as "Freedom".

But is that a freedom worth having?

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
27-03-2017, 02:40 PM
The question is, what does it mean to be conservative. There are numerous examples in the world that it doesn't have to mean being an enemy of the people. Republican in it's current state however means exactly that.
27-03-2017, 03:38 PM
(27-03-2017 02:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's two sides of the Chaos/Order equation (Yin-Yang) and the trick, of course, is to maintain a shifting balance between the two as the environment changes.

I guess many conservatives are rich enough to want to cut connections with the rest of society altogether. They only see their "opponents" in negative and typically dishonest terms. That's why the system can't work. It's paralyzed on one side.

Undecided
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
27-03-2017, 06:49 PM
(27-03-2017 03:38 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 02:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's two sides of the Chaos/Order equation (Yin-Yang) and the trick, of course, is to maintain a shifting balance between the two as the environment changes.

I guess many conservatives are rich enough to want to cut connections with the rest of society altogether.

Interesting observation. I can tell you from first hand experience that it doesn’t work.

I think it should be a prerequisite for those who run for office to have spent a minimum of one year living in a 3rd world country (Venezuela, Uganda, Detroit). When you come to the realization that you cannot separate and cordon yourself from the unwashed masses completely and live in a bubble.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post