The Future of Mankind and our Resouces.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2013, 12:04 AM
The Future of Mankind and our Resouces.
I debated on putting this in Science, or some other section, but decided it best fit here.

There are many possibilities about what our future may be. One very distinct possibility is that we are using up our resources waaayyy to fast, especially America, and to a lesser extent Canada and Western Europe. In addition our world population is booming, and the Eastern world is demanding resources at an alarming rate as they become more and more like the west. There are very real and very bad effects on our environment as a consequence, and as resources dwindle there is a possibility that the poor will face starvation among many other pangs. We are realizing this, and we are beginning to work to prevent this, but at the moment it seems as if we may be a day late and a dollar short.

On the other hand...we may combat this through technology and earth may be more like the earth in the sci-fi fantasy Star Trek series. Although we aren't there yet we went from horseback to moon landings inside a hundred year period. If we can figure out how to efficiently gather renewable energy and convert that energy into anything we desire we can grow and prosper for the foreseeable future, overpopulation would not be an issue for a very long time.

What do you predict? Are we heading going into a dystopian Road Warrior future, or is the future so bright that we have to wear shades? Something less drastic?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2013, 12:35 AM
RE: The Future of Mankind and our Resouces.
Primary fuel for humanity was wood and dung, then charcoal, then coal, then oil. We'll find something else, it'll be fine.

And over population only occurs due to poverty in labour intensive regions (not enough money, only money through manual labour, more children/workers). As long as regions are based on manual labour and impoverished, there will be over population. And this will only occur in already predictable regions.

As for environmental damage, that might be what slowly strangles humanity.
18-02-2013, 03:51 AM
Consider

The above two posts gave me an idea for a solution:

DL said:
"using up our resources waaayyy to fast, especially America, ... and the Eastern world is demanding resources at an alarming rate"

PB said:
"Primary fuel for humanity was wood and dung, then charcoal, then coal, then oil. We'll find something else, it'll be fine."

... but missed out gas and whale oil.

Suggested solution:

Liposuction.

Start farming obese Americans.
Use their methane emissions for gas and drain off their fat for oil.

Problem solved.

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
18-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Harsh! Zombie rules, fatties go first.

18-02-2013, 05:50 PM
The liposuction solution was floated on the tv show Boston legal, seven or eight years ago.

There is no reason every community can't be self-sufficient in energy and food production within three years.
No reason except capitalism. If it either collapses or is curbed within the next 20 years, people in favoured areas will be free to make independent - maybe even intelligent - choices. If they also shake off the yoke of religion, maybe they'll practice effective birth-control, maintain a balance between population and resources. A few communities already exist that are experimenting with sustainable lifestyles - if they survive, they can point the way for other towns and cities.

It's too late to prevent climate change: the climate has changed and will worsen for the next 50 years, no matter what we do. If we stop contributing, it will settle down eventually to a new normal. The habitable zones will be different and smaller; a great number of present species will have become extinct; a whole new set of interactions will be established through a series of cataclysmic events. Some people will almost certainly live through all this upheaval - and the wars, large-scale starvation, disease and migration that will result - but i don't think their lifestyles will be very much in like ours.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
18-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Okay, how will ending capitalism, aka free markets (which don't really exist) make people free to choose? What would replace our mixed economy that you label capitalism? In its strictest definition capitalism allows everyone to choose freely, so I'll assume you are reasoning the redistributing wealth with give more power to more people, am I correct? Still a far cry from free choice, but I'm curious as to your reasoning.

18-02-2013, 07:37 PM
(18-02-2013 03:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

The above two posts gave me an idea for a solution:

DL said:
"using up our resources waaayyy to fast, especially America, ... and the Eastern world is demanding resources at an alarming rate"

PB said:
"Primary fuel for humanity was wood and dung, then charcoal, then coal, then oil. We'll find something else, it'll be fine."

... but missed out gas and whale oil.

Suggested solution:

Liposuction.

Start farming obese Americans.
Use their methane emissions for gas and drain off their fat for oil.

Problem solved.

I'm an american, problem?
[Image: 6srV2X1.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
18-02-2013, 08:06 PM
(18-02-2013 07:37 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I'm an american, problem?

Very commendable. No over-consumption there.

It looks like you would be a farmer and not one of the farmed.

Thumbsup

Or you used photoshop.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-02-2013, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 01:18 AM by Peterkin.)
Quote: Okay, how will ending capitalism, aka free markets (which don't really exist) make people free to choose?
Forget that free market bs for a start. All capital consolidates wealth and power and conducts economies on the same model. Central control, uniformity and mass production makes high profit. It's easier to convince the consumers that they all want the same half dozen styles of clothing, cars, homes, entertainments, etc. than to actually offer a wide range of product. The same thing happened in electrical energy, food production and distribution, banking, employment, housing, education - and, of course, politics. A few people control everything. With the bosses gone, you'll have to figure out how to live.

Quote: What would replace our mixed economy that you label capitalism?
I didn't label it - it was like that when i got here. What kinds of economic systems form afterward will depend on people's needs, social relations and circumstances.

Quote: In its strictest definition capitalism allows everyone to choose freely, so I'll assume you are reasoning the redistributing wealth with
give more power to more people, am I correct?
Allows everyone to spend freely as much money as they have, or can borrow, on their choice among the items offered for sale where they shop.
But that's not the point. Nor is redistributing wealth. Do you not see that the superstorms are busy wiping all the wealth off the face of the earth? There isn't going to be any wealth to hoard or redistribute. No power, either. Go back and look at some footage of Hurricane Katrina. The people will be running from one disaster area after another, with the little they can carry. Unfortunately, many of them will be carrying firearms. You have no frickin idea how messy it's going to get. Free choice is the least of our descendant's worries.

But if the worst of it could be foreseen and planned-for, smart people would get off the grid asap, construct local power generators (a combination of sources would work best in northern climates), food and the production of necessities, like clothing, shelter and tools - before transport breaks down. What methods to employ is not so much a question of freedom to choose from among many methods, as of adaptation to the prevailing conditions and the most efficient use of whatever natural and human resources they have in a particular community.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
19-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Just so I understand you...

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post