The Future of Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2015, 04:32 AM
The Future of Religion
http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/relig...2010-2050/

Tons of interesting data here. Just a pertinent snippet:
Quote:Christians are projected to decline from 78% of the U.S. population in 2010 to 66% in 2050, while the unaffiliated are expected to rise from 16% to 26%.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like daylightisabadthing's post
06-04-2015, 05:59 AM
RE: The Future of Religion
Good read. I do however find it hard to believe that "Unaffiliated" isn't going to grow tremendously worldwide. I think people are only becoming more analytical and skeptical, with the ability of everyone to communicate worldwide, I think it's going to be harder for people to remain isolated in there thinking that they believe their version of religion is correct.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
06-04-2015, 06:03 AM
You can only go around screaming "The End Is Nigh" for so long, before people start to catch on that it's not happening.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-04-2015, 06:41 AM
(06-04-2015 05:59 AM)microterf Wrote:  Good read. I do however find it hard to believe that "Unaffiliated" isn't going to grow tremendously worldwide. I think people are only becoming more analytical and skeptical, with the ability of everyone to communicate worldwide, I think it's going to be harder for people to remain isolated in there thinking that they believe their version of religion is correct.

The problem is that religion will grow fastest in the undeveloped portions of the world, where they have less education and access to information. Most of the world's population is in these areas, where religion is alive and well.

Sure, I expect to see non-religion keep growing in the developed world, but we also are reproducing slower.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
06-04-2015, 06:55 AM
(06-04-2015 06:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Sure, I expect to see non-religion keep growing in the developed world, but we also are reproducing slower.
Alright everybody, you heard him.
We have a job to do. Get to it.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
06-04-2015, 07:08 AM
(06-04-2015 06:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 05:59 AM)microterf Wrote:  Good read. I do however find it hard to believe that "Unaffiliated" isn't going to grow tremendously worldwide. I think people are only becoming more analytical and skeptical, with the ability of everyone to communicate worldwide, I think it's going to be harder for people to remain isolated in there thinking that they believe their version of religion is correct.

The problem is that religion will grow fastest in the undeveloped portions of the world, where they have less education and access to information. Most of the world's population is in these areas, where religion is alive and well.

Sure, I expect to see non-religion keep growing in the developed world, but we also are reproducing slower.

And that is the crux of the problem, only education can refute and rid the world of religion..thanks to the internet, the millennials have pretty much (1 in 3 under 30 in US) refused to play along with religious dogma...they know too much because they have the world's knowledge at a click away, and bother to read and research before they commit to anything from what brand of coffee to buy, to what is religion about...too bad as you said, the under developed countries that are ate up with violent religion do not have access to the internet and education, and those in charge realize this, and work hard to prevent them from having access.

I find it sad those in charge realize if they allow women to get education and have a voice, and let their people obtain education and access to the internet, they will not be in charge for long, and their stranglehold on them via fear based religion will disappear...that will not change, and this is the reason religion will not disappear anytime in the foreseeable future.....in 1st world countries, yes, religion is gurgling around the drain as we speak....but not in the moist violent and ignorant of countries.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
06-04-2015, 08:05 AM
So long as people recognize their own future demise, religion will always be a dominate force. I predict that the traditional religions will probably fade into obscurity or evolve (if it can be called that) into mere metaphors.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2015, 08:09 AM
(06-04-2015 06:55 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  Alright everybody, you heard him.

Uh on. I've been snipped. Also, it probably doesn't help that the two kids I did have were with someone religious. Tongue
06-04-2015, 08:22 AM
So I was reading the report and had lots of things I wanted to say.

Then I had to go out for an evening drinky with my customer for tomorrow's course.

I come back and everyone has beaten me to the punch.

Sigh.

But the main takeaway from the report was this ...
(06-04-2015 06:55 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 06:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  ... we also are reproducing slower.
Alright everybody, you heard him.

There was I, wondering how to go about making a dint in muslim dominated SE Asia with subversive tactics like meetup groups and more overt approaches like lecture tours and instead I should have been focusing on what comes naturally.

Maslow level 1 FTW!

Big Grin

06-04-2015, 08:30 AM
(06-04-2015 04:32 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/relig...2010-2050/

Tons of interesting data here. Just a pertinent snippet:
Quote:Christians are projected to decline from 78% of the U.S. population in 2010 to 66% in 2050, while the unaffiliated are expected to rise from 16% to 26%.

The decline in religion is only a good thing if people replace religion with a rational philosophy. If they abandon religion only to take up some equally irrational world view then there will be no difference.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post