The Giver

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 09:07 AM
The Giver
Spoiler Alert !

Searched and made sure that this should be the first thread about the movie. IMO, I think this movie lacks depth (yet I do heard a few nice things about the original novel) in order to be sold to teens.

So the story begins many years after some terrible war, as it is said. And a young man decides he would save the entire drug-pacified community by going beyond some set boundary, exposing some big lie and therefore starting a wonder world.

Compared to this movie and another one called Divergent, Hunger Game is really much better and deeper, though I don't think very much of it either.

And there's one interesting question I had after watching this movie. Why is it every time a beatifully planned yet uncommonly cruel communistic society built after some horrible end of the world ? Why didn't a "we have had enough lessons from not enough democracy and let's make every decision by voting" show ? The former one somehow seems to be subconsciously the logical choice for such difficult background yet always leads to a seemingly charming society. Weird. Isn't it ?

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 09:44 AM
RE: The Giver
Simple answer to why they tend to be that way. Most of these authors are influenced by George Orwell in their post apocalyptic dystopian societies.

Plus the multi-media creations of these ideas from novels tends to draw that out mores because it seems to work at selling and resonating with an idea people understand and have been fearing culturally.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-01-2015, 12:30 PM
I absolutely loved this book as a child because of the descriptive detail. I haven't read it in years but remember how Jonas described the snow gently peppering his face when he tilts it to the sky. I have been around all kinds of snow all my life and this feeling is one of the best, but for me it had never been put into words. Loved it.

I haven't seen the movie… I want to with my daughter, but I want her to read the book first and she drags her feet when it comes to that, HP took so long for us to read. I'm not so sure the movie could capture the experiences as well… if it were a story of other post war things- thoughts and feelings maybe- then perhaps it would make a good movie, but it's hard to relate things like physical feelings (touch) in a movie that is sight and sound.
03-01-2015, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 08:58 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
(03-01-2015 12:30 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I absolutely loved this book as a child because of the descriptive detail. I haven't read it in years but remember how Jonas described the snow gently peppering his face when he tilts it to the sky. I have been around all kinds of snow all my life and this feeling is one of the best, but for me it had never been put into words. Loved it.

I haven't seen the movie… I want to with my daughter, but I want her to read the book first and she drags her feet when it comes to that, HP took so long for us to read. I'm not so sure the movie could capture the experiences as well… if it were a story of other post war things- thoughts and feelings maybe- then perhaps it would make a good movie, but it's hard to relate things like physical feelings (touch) in a movie that is sight and sound.

More reason for me to find out the book to read.

And judging by some IMDB comments of readers of the book, the movie has failed to reflect important aspects of the book. So, you might want to take this into consideration before you watch it with your daughter.

Want something? Then do something.
05-01-2015, 11:05 PM
The movie adaptation suffers in the same way the the movie adaptation of Ender's Game does. While both were important and influential pieces of literature for their time and audience, their best ideas had already been disseminated into other works, including other movies (like Equilibrium and Gattaca), long before the books themselves ever got adapted into films themselves.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]