The Glory Days

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2016, 05:39 AM
RE: The Glory Days
I was trying to be a good atheist and celebrate our achievements. I thought this was a safe space for us atheists but now I know we have to pretend to be morally superior Wink I gotcha, I know how to play the game of atheism now.

you see I am a new atheist and I am still learning.

In truth, science and all unholy reason,
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2016, 05:54 AM
(14-09-2016 05:39 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I was trying to be a good atheist and celebrate our achievements.

Celebrating mass murder? You think the Stalinist Purges were a good thing?

(Fallacy: Associating atheism with atrocities.)

(14-09-2016 05:39 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I thought this was a safe space for us atheists but now I know we have to pretend to be morally superior

You accuse me of acting morally superior when you are celebrating genocide?

(Fallacy: Atheists can't be moral.)

(14-09-2016 05:39 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I gotcha, I know how to play the game of atheism now.

You are playing a game. Poorly.

(14-09-2016 05:39 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  you see I am a new atheist and I am still learning.

Of course you are, padre. Drinking Beverage

(14-09-2016 05:39 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  In truth, science and all unholy reason,

(Fallacy: Atheism/science is just another religion)

Wow, never heard those before. Facepalm

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-09-2016, 06:07 AM
As an atheist all I am doing is remembering and respecting my history. When the league of militant atheists help the genocide of millions of people; who affiliate themselves with international "free thinkers" I cannot help but recognize them as our brothers.

The christers have their inquisitors but we have our commissars.
14-09-2016, 06:30 AM
(14-09-2016 06:07 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  As an atheist all I am doing is remembering and respecting my history.

Except that the history of Communist Russia is not the history of the modern atheist movement. It is the history of Communist Russia.

Even worse for your argument, is that Stalin exploited the existing atmosphere in Russia at that time. The Tsars and the Russian church had ground the people down into near-permanent submission, instilling a reliance on a divine monarchy.

Being a trained seminarian, Stalin recognized this and exploited it. He replaced the divinely appointed Tsars with a new messianic figure: himself.

(14-09-2016 06:07 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  When the league of militant atheists help the genocide of millions of people; who affiliate themselves with international "free thinkers" I cannot help but recognize them as our brothers.

Okay padre, let's play that game.

You've chosen the League of Militant Atheists as your villain.
Correct?

Are you asserting that all modern atheists are accountable for the crimes of that organization?

(14-09-2016 06:07 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  The christers have their inquisitors but we have our commissars.

We?

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-09-2016, 06:36 AM
(14-09-2016 06:30 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 06:07 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  As an atheist all I am doing is remembering and respecting my history.

Except that the history of Communist Russia is not the history of the modern atheist movement. It is the history of Communist Russia.

Even worse for your argument, is that Stalin exploited the existing atmosphere in Russia at that time. The Tsars and the Russian church had ground the people down into near-permanent submission, instilling a reliance on a divine monarchy.

Being a trained seminarian, Stalin recognized this and exploited it. He replaced the divinely appointed Tsars with a new messianic figure: himself.

(14-09-2016 06:07 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  When the league of militant atheists help the genocide of millions of people; who affiliate themselves with international "free thinkers" I cannot help but recognize them as our brothers.

Okay padre, let's play that game.

You've chosen the League of Militant Atheists as your villain.
Correct?

Are you asserting that all modern atheists are accountable for the crimes of that organization?

(14-09-2016 06:07 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  The christers have their inquisitors but we have our commissars.

We?

As an atheist I speak for myself.

Where did I say anything about accountability?
Where did I say the League of Militant Atheists were my villain?
The history of atheist is basically what you decide and you alone to make it all to suite you? Are you telling me this is an reason and logic?

I am beginning to doubt if you really are an atheist like me. Strange you should deny a core and fundamental part of the history of atheism as if it never happened.
14-09-2016, 07:01 AM
(14-09-2016 06:36 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  As an atheist I speak for myself.

Then don't use plural words like "we".

(14-09-2016 06:36 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  Where did I say anything about accountability?

Oh, my mistake. I was assuming that you were trying to link modern atheism with genocide in an attempt to show that atheism was evil because genocide was evil.

Are you honestly saying that genocide is a good thing?

(14-09-2016 06:36 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  Where did I say the League of Militant Atheists were my villain?

In your previous post.

(14-09-2016 06:36 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  The history of atheist is basically what you decide and you alone to make it all to suite you? Are you telling me this is an reason and logic?

I asked you several questions to clarify my understanding of your position. You have dodged and shifted. That is the tactic of preachers not those interested in honest discussion.

(As an aside: I know you're not interested in honest discussion, padre. But since the boards are not edited, your drivel will be here for a long time. As will our refutations.)

You have indicated that not only are you unfamiliar with reason and logic but that basic literacy is also a foreign topic.

You linked modern atheists, such as "yourself", to the League of Militant Atheists.

I ask again:

I ask:

Are you asserting that there is an over-arching atheist organization?

(14-09-2016 06:36 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I am beginning to doubt if you really are an atheist like me.

Yes. We are separated by integrity, sincerity and your lack thereof.

(14-09-2016 06:36 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  Strange you should deny a core and fundamental part of the history of atheism as if it never happened.

Fine. I will take this as an assent that you are linking modern atheists with the League of Militant Atheism.

I will also take it that you mean ALL modern atheists.

Please give me the justifications for your position.

It's kind of a shame that I have to do this. Really, you should be able to make a better case than this, if you expect to be taken seriously. What you are doing is little better than name-calling.

14-09-2016, 07:11 AM
So what you are saying is that when people who call themselves "atheist" and "free thinkers" do things that show atheism in a bad light you can ad hoc announce them as not being atheist? Correct? What gives you this right exactly?

Where did I say the League of Militant Atheists were my villain? Keeping in mind if you ignore a question more than two times I will consider you a troll.

We atheists must recognize our history and I can say with integrity that I as an atheist will do that while other atheists will only look at christer history and be hypocritical about it when they want to "slander" modern christians. Yes I have more integrity and ethics than you because I will at least apply the same standards to myself as I do to the christers. When I go as a good atheist blaming all the christers for the actions of other christers I will do the same for us atheists because I am a decent human being unlike it appears many of my fellow atheists who are far from honest and decent.
14-09-2016, 07:14 AM
Your strawman atheist act is boring. You could have at least tried to make it more entertaining.
[+] 5 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
14-09-2016, 08:04 AM
(14-09-2016 07:11 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  So what you are saying is that when people who call themselves "atheist" and "free thinkers" do things that show atheism in a bad light you can ad hoc announce them as not being atheist? Correct? What gives you this right exactly?

Well, let's look at this shall we?

Yes, the League of Militant Atheists were in fact atheists. "Free thinkers" could be debated I suppose, but yes, they were atheists.

No one here, myself included, has denied this.

So, here we get into a couple of problems, centered on your ignorance and illiteracy.

First, let's define atheism:

Quote:Atheism (noun)
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

dictionary

That's it. If you don't believe in a god, you're an atheist.

Unlike you, others can grasp the fact that one shared concept does not necessarily make a link.

Under your "logic" (heh...) the United States would be considered part of the Greek Empire since the US is a democracy and the Greeks were also democratic.

Under your logic, ALL theists, everywhere, are responsible for the pedophilia scandal in the Roman Catholic church. ALL theists are responsible for the Islamic terrorists and 9/11.

No one here says that, except YOU.

(14-09-2016 07:11 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  Where did I say the League of Militant Atheists were my villain? Keeping in mind if you ignore a question more than two times I will consider you a troll.

I answered this the first time you asked, moron.

(14-09-2016 07:01 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 06:36 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  Where did I say the League of Militant Atheists were my villain?

In your previous post.

By "villain" I meant the organization that you were using as a negative comparison to make atheism look bad.

Do you understand now, or should I try again with smaller words? Pictures maybe?

(14-09-2016 07:11 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  We atheists must recognize our history and I can say with integrity that I as an atheist will do that while other atheists will only look at christer history and be hypocritical about it when they want to "slander" modern christians.

You are not an atheist. My guess is that you are a christian attempting to make oft-refuted arguments from a different perspective. You lack imagination and have neither the knowledge or skills to pull it off.

To take your example:

Christians rely heavily on their history and their ties to the past. By doing so, the various christian churches seek to link themselves as closely as possible to the figure of Christ himself. This is an attempt to give authenticity to their beliefs and teachings.

However by doing this, they also link themselves to the crimes of those in history that they link themselves to. If you quote medieval scholars to support your theology, then your theology has to justify the crimes of the medieval church.

There is no atheistic organization that does that. I asked you to show me one that does. You did not.

Can you show links or even similarity between any modern atheist organization and the LoMA?

I asked you to justify your position. You did not.

(14-09-2016 07:11 AM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  When I go as a good atheist blaming all the christers for the actions of other christers I will do the same for us atheists because I am a decent human being unlike it appears many of my fellow atheists who are far from honest and decent.

I refer to the original post in this thread where you advocated torture, imprisonment and execution for the religious.

That does not make you a "decent human being". It makes you a liar and a hypocrite.

14-09-2016, 08:41 AM
I may have to get it tattooed, somewhere:

"Attention, Christians: Lying for Jesus is still LYING."

Well done, Hobbit. These Christian fundamentalists, who push these lies and false comparisons, are either so ignorant that it's surprising they remember how to breathe, or else they're knowingly pushing the lies (often, through subversive tactics like this one) because they consider pious fraud to be a noble, holy endeavor. I don't honestly know which is worse, delusion or duplicity. Undecided

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post