The "God-Center"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2012, 02:01 PM
The "God-Center"
Christians have argued for years that there is a part of the brain that compels us to worship God, a part that I'll refer to as the "God-Center". My brother (a Christian) recently rehashed this argument, and this time I actually came up with a clever rebuttal that he had no answer to, and that I thought was clever enough to share with all of you.

Based on the assumption that this God-Center actually exists, it would seem to lend more weight to the non-existence of God. If there is a part of our brain that makes us feel a need for worship, that would drive us --- in the absence of a real and true god --- to make one up. Necessity is the mother of invention, and if there really is a part of the brain that "needs God", then it makes sense that we'd make up a God to fill this need.

There are thousands of religions throughout time, and unless they were all true (impossible, as many of them are mutually-exclusive by nature) then man has been inventing Gods to scratch this brain itch. The existence of a God isn't necessary to start worshiping one, but rather the belief in a god --- any god. The God-Center would be the scientific explanation for worship of false gods.

I agree with Sam Harris that religions were originally ways to explain the natural world in lieu of real explanations, but why do religions crop up in the modern world (such as Scientology) now that we have better tools? I think this explains modern religions. And this was a good answer to my Christian brother, because whether or not the God-Center exists, my brother was the one to bring it up and he couldn't come back with "well, maybe the God-Center doesn't exist".

And it really is such an elegant scientific explanation for false beliefs.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Starcrash's post
10-02-2012, 02:22 PM
RE: The "God-Center"
I've never heard of the God-Center argument before. I'll make sure and call upon your explanation if I'm ever confronted by a believer with such a claim.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 04:18 PM by Thomas.)
RE: The "God-Center"
(10-02-2012 02:01 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Christians have argued for years that there is a part of the brain that compels us to worship God, a part that I'll refer to as the "God-Center".

Christians make the claim that "God" put something in our brains to give us a “hint”. Why not just show up and go on David Letterman? I’m sure he would cancel his other guests to make room.

There is a better explanation to the god gene. Humans are more comfortable with being limited in their freedom. We choose comfort and security over freedom. Religion provides for humankind a structure that tells you what you can and can't do and sometimes what we must do. The responsibility for moral decisions is transferred to god. We don't have to decide and we are not responsible for making the wrong decision. Freedom is scary and religion gives people the ability to not be responsible for their actions.

Consider original sin. You were born defective and only god can fix you. How can a defective human decide on morals? You can never become a complete person so don’t bother. God will need to fix you later. Well, why not make humans perfect to begin with. Christianistas have an answer, Satan. God made Satan perfect and look what happened. There is an absurd answer for any absurd belief.

Consider the concept of being saved. God accepts you with all you defects, you just have to swear allegiance to the religious group. You are not capable of “earning” you way into heaven, so don’t try and by the way, you’re not responsible for your failure to be a good person.

When you are an atheist you have to consider moral issues on your own. Should gays be allowed to marry, adopt children? Is abortion right or wrong? What economic system is the most fair and moral? Not easy questions to answer and what if you’re wrong. The Christianistas look to the bible to see what it says. Stone homosexuals it says. It’s not their call. God says stone them so they do and move on with no responsibility for the action on them. God has decided, they just obey.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post