The God Debates
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2012, 10:25 AM
RE: The God Debates
My experience with self-identifying agnostics goes something like this:

Me: Do you believe that gods exist?

Self-identifying agnostic: I don't know.

Me: I didn't ask you if you knew. I asked if you believe.

Self-identifying agnostic: Then no.

Me: then you're an atheist. What am I missing?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
22-06-2012, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2012 10:43 AM by TrulyX.)
RE: The God Debates
(22-06-2012 07:39 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  The original question was: "why are nonbelievers reluctant to self identity as 'atheists'".

They are just in the closet.

Agnosticism can provide one big closet for theists, atheists, and people that don't even want to, or have yet to, come to a definite decision themselves as to whether they are atheists or theist.

The latter part of people are really the ones struggling. People who can go to church one day and believe that God exists, then watch a science documentary the next day and think the idea is complete absurdity.

Sometimes it seems similar to gay people struggling with, and/or contemplating, their feelings of attraction to the same sex in a society, family or culture that doesn't readily accept homosexuality. That's why I used "in the closet".

Also, there is sort of a "wisdom complex" or "fear complex" associated with the decision.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply