The God Delusion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 03:15 PM
The God Delusion
Ive had this book on my kindle forever it seems, but I'm having a hard time getting through it. Hard as in I can't seem to get through the first chapter.

Its just not resonating with me very well -- but I feel it should be right up my ally. So I guess I'm asking if I should just keep plugging at it -- anyone else have this issue? I hate to ask such a subjective question but to those who did read it, did it seem to start slow and improve in later chapters?

Thanks...

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
RE: The God Delusion
(08-01-2013 03:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ive had this book on my kindle forever it seems, but I'm having a hard time getting through it. Hard as in I can't seem to get through the first chapter.

Its just not resonating with me very well -- but I feel it should be right up my ally. So I guess I'm asking if I should just keep plugging at it -- anyone else have this issue? I hate to ask such a subjective question but to those who did read it, did it seem to start slow and improve in later chapters?

Thanks...
I can't relate to the problem much, although it wasn't the easiest read. I think I read the book in about a week, and it is certainly worth getting through (in my opinion ofcourse Big Grin )

Some chapters were much more interesting than others to me.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

08-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Despite recent accusations against me, I am quite literate and not usually too challenged by "difficult" reads. But I am often challenged by "uninteresting" reads.

Like Moms, I found this book to be awkward at best, and I'm unmotivated to read it. I've had it for about 8 months now and I'm on chapter 4, I think. Aside from the most awesome quote ever at the beginning of chapter 2, I think, I found little else to keep me interested. Which is sad since, as Moms said, this book should be right up my alley too.

While this has been collecting dust on my coffee table, I've finished two Michael Shermer books and also An Atheist Universe by David Mills, all of which I found to be just as enlightening but much more entertaining to read.

I feel almost heretical to speak ill of any of Dawkins' works, but admitting that seems to support the lame theist charge that atheism is just a religion, so I guess it's not really heresy but rather just a disgruntlement that such a heralded book should leave me so nonplussed.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
08-01-2013, 03:49 PM
(08-01-2013 03:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ive had this book on my kindle forever it seems, but I'm having a hard time getting through it. Hard as in I can't seem to get through the first chapter.

Thanks...

The first time I read it, I had trouble getting through the first 50 or 100 pages. My reaction was something like "yeah, yeah, get to the point". Once I pushed passed that, it was all good.

On the second reading, I saw how he was patiently building an argument.

Stay with it; you will be rewarded. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Fantastic book, but Dawkins tends to off-tangent rant a bit, not to mention he tends to really lay out a giant bit of a story before he starts working towards a point. I think for some that may be difficult to read. Hitchens tends to do it as well, although not nearly as bad. You might find "god is not Great" an easier read if you haven't already read it. Although I'll warn you, there may be things you didn't know prior that it brings to light that make your blood boil.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
08-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Although, I very much agree with AS's take on the book, as well as the point about saying anything remotely negative about Dawkins -- I will, since I've nothing else to read at the moment, give the book another shot.

08-01-2013, 06:44 PM
So, you're saying I gotta slowly work my way up Mount Improbable? I just finished An Atheist's Universe so I might as well dive back into Delusion.

Hmmm, maybe I should word that better...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
08-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Lol, I guess I could have worded it better. That said, ya, might as well -- I can read while climbing mount laundry tonight and tomorrow. Since the natives are growing restless from the want of clean clothing.

That is, unless, I find another free Victorian era ediquite book to download first. Smile

I am a wild woman!

08-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I like Victoria's stuff too, but usually just her secret stuff. With angel wings.

08-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Thank you for sharing. I'll be sure to forward all the catalogs (which I rarely see anyway) to you after all the "boys" are finished with them.