The God Makers 1 & 2 - Documentary on Mormons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
The God Makers 1 & 2 - Documentary on Mormons
Hey, as many of you know I'm an ex-mormon. Just ran across this and even though it's kind of old it is pretty relative in understanding mormonism.
Although some of the current beliefs have changed since the doc was made, i.e. blacks and the priesthood & slitting the throat in the temple, it explores many little known beliefs.

This video is located here if it is unable to be embedded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfz6pG5JRQY

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2012, 06:03 AM
RE: The God Makers 1 & 2 - Documentary on Mormons
Thanks. I will listen to that today. Quick question, have you seen this cartoon? Is it accurate? It pops on many YouTube playlists related to free-thinking:

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
02-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I remember my Christian College making a big deal out of The God-makers (I think it was only part 1 back then). My memories of the film were that it made some pretty outlandish claims, and as a Christian (at the time), I couldn't believe how stupid some people could be! Talk about looking at the speck in someone else's eye and ignoring the beam in my own eye!

The other impression that has stayed with me from this doc was the idea that the majority of Mormons don't know about the kooky space stuff.

GK, what are your thoughts about this? How deeply do Mormons subscribe to the whacky space stories and things like the holy underwear? I kind of had the idea, back then, that the God Makers was overly sensationalized in order to marginalize Mormons as unacceptable to Christianity.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-05-2012, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 08:25 PM by Grassy Knoll.)
That cartoon is from the same documentary. The only thing I'm not familiar with is the jesus having 3 wives part. I remember folks talking about the idea that he'd been married to Mary Magdalen but it wasn't something that was ever taught to me.

The peculiar part of how mormon ideology is formed is the idea of living prophets and apostles. A particular prophet or apostle of the church can give a talk or write a book and it automatically becomes god given scripture in the minds of many. So many strange ideas and notions can come about from little bits and pieces of such written records. If it's a good idea, it can gain more credibility and be expanded upon by a succeeding prophet. If an idea becomes unpopular or politically incorrect over time, it can quietly be swept under the rug or officially denounced by church officials. Take polygamy for example. I have distant family that still believe and practice it and technically to do that a new and separated branch of prophet succession was born in order for that practice to persist. This is where you get mainstream Mormonism versus fundamentalists.

Do most believe the kooky stuff? Probably not. I was born and raised in it and was spoon fed a lot of strange stuff mainly because I always had a lot of questions while growing up. I tried to talk about the 3 immortal nephites that roam the earth with an older member one time and I was surprised when he told me he didn't believe it was true. He explained that if it wasn't in a teaching manual or any other church publication, it wasn't worth talking about. The thing is if you can accept the premise of Joseph Smith then you're pretty primed for even stranger stuff. Sadly I did believe a lot of tripe at one time but I give myself credit for breaking free of it.

I'd love to delve more into it but I'm currently mobile and on the road. Peace out for now.
02-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Damn, who knew. Mass delusion. Thanks for sharing. Will watch a few more times, as it is hard to believe so many could buy into this.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
04-05-2012, 06:38 AM
(02-05-2012 08:50 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  GK, what are your thoughts about this? How deeply do Mormons subscribe to the whacky space stories and things like the holy underwear? I kind of had the idea, back then, that the God Makers was overly sensationalized in order to marginalize Mormons as unacceptable to Christianity.

Well, the Kolob planet/star is written in official mormon doctrine in the book of Abraham of the "Pearl of Great Price". However, it was seldom discussed in any church meetings and I once asked a missionary what he could tell me about that portion of scripture ...he said he knew nothing about it, not even where it came from or anything. That documentary does seem more geared for shocking christians about mormons. The enemy of my enemy is my friend... NOT! I guess a logical approach to explaining some of the beliefs of mormonism would be more appropriate in a forum like this. For example, it's the mormon opinion that while christ was entombed for 3 days, he was really walking about the americas starting his church amongst the "other sheep" of the world. An almost plausible idea if you accept all the other divine things he supposedly did. That's pretty much the basis of how the book of Mormon claims to be another "testament" of christ.

As for the magic underwear, it's pretty common for members who are temple worthy. I wore them with ease as just regular underwear and a t-shirt. Of course that was also around the time I started realizing just how strange it all was Shocking

Relating all of this stuff to satanism is certainly a farce though. Some of the finest folks I've ever known are mormons. When I left the church my bishop and I were and still are close friends. It's pretty much a given that all religions are gonna have their whacked out beliefs. Confused
11-05-2012, 08:16 PM
(02-05-2012 12:28 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  That cartoon is from the same documentary. The only thing I'm not familiar with is the jesus having 3 wives part. I remember folks talking about the idea that he'd been married to Mary Magdalen but it wasn't something that was ever taught to me.
Hey, Jesus got game!